chocolate

susieg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
the confusion about what and what not to eat, provided by others who know it all!
I've been dx 1yr 3m. I've been very good getting my levels under control, lost a bucket load of weight, had my Hba1C down from 11.0 to 7.0 and didn't miss sweet things at all. UNTIL NOW! I have had a craving for chocolate, I bought a few weeks ago, dark whole nut, and had 1 piece each day, I know I shouldn't but I enjoy it so much and everything else I eat is good.
Someone tell me it's OK. :thumbup: or :thumbdown:

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's best to stick to high cocoa chocolate-70% or above.

I buy aldi's moser roth 85% cocoa chocolate. 5 bars per packet. 99p for the packet and each bar only has 5g carbs. one bar per day satisfies the craving :D

slimtony

Chocolate is ok, Susie! :thumbup:
Or at least the Lindt 85% stuff that I eat seems to be ok in small doses (not that you need much with it being so strong and all).

susieg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
the confusion about what and what not to eat, provided by others who know it all!
chocoholicnomore said:
It's best to stick to high cocoa chocolate-70% or above.

I buy aldi's moser roth 85% cocoa chocolate. 5 bars per packet. 99p for the packet and each bar only has 5g carbs. one bar per day satisfies the craving :D

I bought Aldi's dark whole nut, I'll look out for the 5 bars ones, although I don't recall seeing them, what I don't want to do though, is start on the road to sweet things again, perhaps it's just christmas that triggered it all off. darn christmas :evil:

Elc1112

Ad long as you're careful about how much you have and your sugars are under control. There are days when, if somebody didn't stop me, I'd happily eat my way through an entire confectionary aisle! Enjoy :)

Pneu

It's ok to have a treat that's not going to do any harm if you cover with insulin.

Keep in mind however that insulin also regulates our fat metabolism and therefore if you were to suddenly increase your carbohydrate intake and cover all the time then you might see an extra few pounds go on! Everything in moderation

Cheryl

I too eat Aldi's moser roth 85% choc. It's the best choc there is! I don't find it makes more than a tiny diffetence in my BG. Denying yourself what you really want all the time means that eventually you'll break & blow out, a little treat is fine.

susieg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cheryl said:
I too eat Aldi's moser roth 85% choc. It's the best choc there is! I don't find it makes more than a tiny diffetence in my BG. Denying yourself what you really want all the time means that eventually you'll break & blow out, a little treat is fine.

Bought some today! Thanks for that tip, It's really nice and just the right amount in the little bars, and then you're not tempted to overdo it.
:D

fraser89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been diagnosed for 21 years and have always always had a sweeth tooth, recently i was in hospital around easter and my partner brought me a huge!! creme egg easter egg. I think the nurses nearly lost it when they saw me open it, but as i managed to control my insulin i was able to enjoy most of it. Most times however if craving chocolate i turn to strawberries with vanilla yoghurt, not only healthy for me but keeps the sweet craving at bay :)

susieg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
fraser89 said:
I have been diagnosed for 21 years and have always always had a sweeth tooth, recently i was in hospital around easter and my partner brought me a huge!! creme egg easter egg. I think the nurses nearly lost it when they saw me open it, but as i managed to control my insulin i was able to enjoy most of it. Most times however if craving chocolate i turn to strawberries with vanilla yoghurt, not only healthy for me but keeps the sweet craving at bay :)

I think I'd like to do that too, but you can't always have strawberries to hand, although I do have frozen fruit for my dessert at lunchtime. But it's just the thought I think, for chocolate, not supposed to have it, so I want it! :roll: