1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Choice between Libre 1 and Libre 2

Discussion in 'Blood Glucose Monitoring' started by jape, Dec 1, 2021.

1. jape

jape Type 2 · Well-Known Member

As of yesterday, the medical plan (OHIP - similar to the NHS in the UK) here in the Canadian province of Ontario has started covering Libre 2 for insulin dependent diabetics. Any insights from those who used both Libre 1 and Libre 2: Should I switch to Libre 2, or stay with Libre 1? Either does not cost me anything, and I think the price to the government is the same.

2. SwissT2

SwissT2 Type 2 · Member

One thing I found with Libre 1 is that I could only view the data on my phone app where it's difficult to read the tiny graphs accurately and I couldn't download data or view it anywhere else. Presumably the publicity photos you see of people doing just that are about Libre 2.

3. In Response

In Response Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Libre 2 provides alarms and extrapolates the data to minimise the effect of the 15 minute ISR and BG readings.
    Some people have experienced more accuracy and reliability problems with Libre 2 but I understand the EU and North American versions are different so I do not know if this is relevant for Canada.

4. DEBBIESCOTT

DEBBIESCOTT MODY · Well-Known Member

I’ve found the libre 1 to be more accurate for me, but we’re all different

5. sleepster

sleepster Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Me too.
    But the alarms with libre 2 are useful.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. cynetique

cynetique Type 2 · Active Member

I use Libre 1 with the little device rather than a phone and I am able to upload and view data online at https://www.libreview.com/

7. sgm14

sgm14 · Well-Known Member

I have used both and prefer the Libre2 as I find the alarms very useful. I did not really find any noticeable difference in accuracy, except that the lag on the libre2 seems to be less.

The only downside I have found with the Libre2 is that if I want to use the alarms with my phone (which I do), then I can no longer use the reader as a backup device.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook