Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Hi all

Anyone taken this ezetrol drug and any opinions? Heard they're worse than statins (and I refuse point blank to take them and suspicious of this stuff as well) but interested nonetheless

Thank you :)

Mike

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I was asking about ezetrol in case you hadn't paid attention

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I am not interested in alternatives ... just the answers to THAT drug.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From what I've read, some red yeast supplements tested have been adulterated with actual statins, plus the supplement has the same side effects as the real thing so you don't really gain much by taking it instead of pharmaceutical versions, which at least would have a guaranteed standard dose unlike some supplements.

Personally I won't take anything to artificially lower cholesterol as I don't see the point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I understand many members are reluctant to take statins. I would probably share that reluctance if I knew then what I know now. 'Then' being over 20 years ago.

First, to answer the question asked by Mike D, I have taken prescribed Ezetrol for over 5 years. This was prescribed to replace half of the dose of Atorvastatin, which was causing me problems with muscular pain. The combined Ezetrol and lower dose Atorvastatin seems to have resolved this pain.

If only life was so simple! I have several other medical conditions, including hypertension, osteoarthritis, and allergies. I was disabled due to a spinal injury half a lifetime ago, and have difficulty walking. The statins were prescribed due to risk factors for heart disease, (paternal family all had heart attacks before they were 50). I have had hypertension since my 20s. I first had been prescribed Atorvastatin about 20 years ago, after the spinal injury, and subsequent weight gain and immobility increased my risk of the vascular problems that had plagued my father's family. This was before I was diagnosed T2. That makes me wonder, did the statins increase my risk of T2? I do know that in paternal kin many have T2, so perhaps it was my destiny.

If, 20 years ago I had known the reported risks of statins, I would not have accepted them. That does lead me to the question, if I had refused them, would I still be free of any vascular complications? I have recently had full investigations of vascular health, including MRI and ultrasound, and have heart and all major blood vessels scanned and found to be in perfect working order. (At age 61) . This despite being very overweight, and having being diagnosed T2 over 10 years ago, (although as my profile states, non-diabetic HbA1c and BG readings for over 4 years now.) Whether this non-diabetic status is due to statins, diet, exercise, or some other factor I don't know. Far too many variables to be able to reach a reliable conclusion.

Now I have a dilemma. With confirmation that I have no vascular problems, I have good BG levels, though I have a lot of medication for other conditions, do I really need to continue with the statins? As I get older, I am concerned about the effects of polypharmacy. I am considering a statin 'holiday'. Just to see if I feel any better without them. Though I will think very carefully about that, and if I do decide to go ahead will be monitoring my blood pressure closely, as that only seems to be managed by medication.

Not sure if this has helped, @Mike D . There are more questions than answers.

bmorgen

Ezetrol is a great way to lower your cholesterol with minimal side effects. I couldn't hit my target lipids levels with Atorvastatin alone; adding Ezetrol did the trick.

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Geez what is with all the red yeast rice. It is like asking do you take x and people jut spouting about yeast for no apparent reason other than to promote it. Are you all on commission for it? Chill guys. A part from it being a 75% starch and a red food dye it has nothing to do with the question asked.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From what I've read, while drugs like ezetimbe and fibrates can reduce cholesterol, they actually do NOT improve clinical outcomes as regards heart disease/stroke, so what's the point in taking them? I think the same is true of plant sterols/stanols in margarines etc.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Mike D - I think you will get a kick out of this parody song (the section on cholesterol lowering starts around 2:44mins):

Reactions: 4 people