Cholesterol: what do the values mean?

Type2_2000

Hi, I had a blood test a couple of weeks ago as I changed to a different statin. I just got the values over the phone. I'm seeing GP anyway so I'll ask him to explain (if he's in a patient mood!), but I just wondered if anyone could explain what the different elements mean. My overall Cholesterol value is good, I just always wondered about the various values relate to. Anyway here are my results:

CHOL: 3.2
LDL: 0.8
HDL: 2.0
TG: 0.8
TC/HDL: 1.6

Thanks

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Type2_2000 said:
Hi, I had a blood test a couple of weeks ago as I changed to a different statin. I just got the values over the phone. I'm seeing GP anyway so I'll ask him to explain (if he's in a patient mood!), but I just wondered if anyone could explain what the different elements mean. My overall Cholesterol value is good, I just always wondered about the various values relate to. Anyway here are my results:

CHOL: 3.2
LDL: 0.8
HDL: 2.0
TC/HDL: 1.6

Thanks
Type2_2000
Agree your overall Chol is good :thumbup: :clap:
LDL (the "bad" Chol) is nice and low :thumbup: but remember some chol is needed.
HDL (good Chol) is good and high. :thumbup: :thumbup:
the TG is a bit high but this may be transitory.

What levels of statin are you on?
What were you on with your old statin?

Type2_2000

Hi,

Many thanks for the reply. I was previously on 40mg of Simvastatin. However I also take Amlodipine for BP management and apparently the two cant be taken together so I've changed over to Pravastatin at 20mg.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Type2_2000 said:
Hi,

Many thanks for the reply. I was previously on 40mg of Simvastatin. However I also take Amlodipine for BP management and apparently the two cant be taken together so I've changed over to Pravastatin at 20mg.

Sorry, meant What were your Chol figures like on your old statin?
Have the LDL/HDL/TG figures changed.
My core question when on simvastatin with similar figures was why (as getting muscle probs) Consulant admitted that it was standard procedure, so I went statin free, result: no change in Chol and lost muscle probs
Found Targets for Chol:
Total Cholesterol below 4 for diabetics.

LDL target is below 3.0

HDL target is above 1.2

HDL/total ratio target is below 4.5, and the lower the better

Trigs target is below 1.7.

Type2_2000

Hi! Sorry I misunderstand!

My last set of Simvastatin tests were similar:
CHOL: 3.5
LDL: 1.3
HDL: 1.8
TC/HDL: 1.9

I agree that Simvastatin can have nasty side-effects. Whilst I was taking it I has problems with disturbed sleep. Since I've stopped taking it those sleep problems have gone away. I'm hoping that my current health kick will eventually enable me to reduce as much of my medication as possible including Statins. Just looking back I found some results from a few years ago before I started taking any statins:

CHOL: 5.8
LDL: 3.5
HDL: 1.7
TG: 1.4
TC/HDL: 3.4

Regards