Cholesterol

Lilliepop

Hello. I would like to know what people's Cholesterol is? Mine is 5.8 was told it far to high but was reading the other day that it's not as bad as we are tought to believe. As we eat a lot of fat it would be interesting to see what other people's cholestrol is.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Mine was 5.2 while low carbing.
Will be very interested to know what it is after a year of very low carbing.

But I have to say that if anyone is telling you that the Total Cholesterol figure is important, then they are working by very outdated recommendations (up to 30 years out of date, actually). Unless you have familial hypercholesteremia, where I think the total fig is very important.

Check out this vid to see what I mean:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine, at last reading at the beginning of this month was 7.4. Because of the breakdown of the component parts of that total, my GP's response this time was that I must be delighted.

I am. Delighted.

Unless you have the breakdown of the total figure, it's impossible to say whether your reading is good, bad or indifferent. It's important you get your breakdown before even considering amending your diet.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If your happy with 7.4 @AndBreathe, then I must be delirious with my latest 4.8 reading!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
TC: 3.8

LDL: 1.9

HDL: 1.6

Trigs: 0.5

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As other have said it's the LDL to HDL ratio that matters not the Total and 5.8 isn't 'far too high' anyway. Your GP is just following NICE guidelines which some of us find suspect. Yes, low-carb and you should find the ratio improves and may be even the total. Some experts now say that low-cholesterol is bad for you; confusing isn't it.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If your happy with 7.4 @AndBreathe, then I must be delirious with my latest 4.8 reading!

I am delighted with the constituent parts, of my lipid profile, and the ratios of them. That they add up to 7.4 is irrelevant. I was making the point that to make a judgement by only looking at the total is flawed and could lead to misunderstandings.

Reactions: 4 people

Lilliepop

Very interesting I'm not that worried it's been the same for the last year. More worried about my gloucose level just taken it two hours after eating and it was 8.4 I'm not diabetic or am I that is the question. Everyone I talk to are on cholesterol lowering drugs. It will all come to light one day that they where wrong like a lot of things. I have also read that low cholesterol is is bad for you.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Well done @ally1 !! Nice to see you back.