choosing a new pump

johnny37

I have posted this on diabetes daily but wondered if any pumpers on here have any opinions they may wish to impart.

My 4-year contract with Accu-Chek is due to end in March. I was not offered a choice when I started.

I have been given three choices this time:

stay with Accu-Chek
Change to Minimed 640G or Animas Vibe

The brochures have hardly any technical info. Im not interested in the colour or whether I can use it for swimming!

What makes any of them stand out?
Thanks

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have an Animas Vibe and I'm very happy with it :)

I originally had an Insight but hated it, so I gave it back and that narrowed my choice down to Animas or Medtronic. What swayed me was the look of the Animas Vibe, its Luer sets, and the fact it could be used with the Dexcom CGM (when I can afford it).

Pumps are an individual choice and different ones suit different people. Do you have any priority things a pump must have or must do?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
What might sway you towards Medtronic is the smartguard functionality and the rumour, that you'd need to check, that the 640 is upgrade able to the 670 full artificial pancreas software when it is approved.

Last edited by a moderator:

johnny37

I doubt whether CGM will ever be affordable. I have not heard of the 670 but that sounds as if it might be expensive or not available very soon. Incidentally I rang Diabetes UK to get some articles from Balance to help with my choice . I was told it was too specialized for them, and that they only deal with the more general issues concerning diabetes. This somewhat surprised me as I thought they like to convey a thoroughly modern outfit at the forefront of innovation.

Azure - what did you not like about the Accu-Chek Insight?

johnny37

Thanks Gaz. Diabetes UK did recommend INPUT but the link to Diabetes UK you gave looks like it will be very helpful. Not sure why they were not aware of this list.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I doubt whether CGM will ever be affordable. I have not heard of the 670 but that sounds as if it might be expensive or not available very soon. Incidentally I rang Diabetes UK to get some articles from Balance to help with my choice . I was told it was too specialized for them, and that they only deal with the more general issues concerning diabetes. This somewhat surprised me as I thought they like to convey a thoroughly modern outfit at the forefront of innovation.

Azure - what did you not like about the Accu-Chek Insight?

Er....most things! As a general statement, it was a total faff compared to my current pump and my previous pump.

- I didn't like the fact things had to be recharged every day or two.
- I didn't like the excruciatingly slow handset
- I didn't like the fact that the pre-filled reservoirs only came with one insulin so no choice ( and the fillable ones didn't seem imminent)
- I didn't like the fact it didn't take Luer sets and needed its own special ones

I'm also not impressed by the recent alerts...

I'd better stop there!

Reactions: 2 people

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What about omnipod
omnipod isn't the best pod out there it lacks features that other's have.

I'm on the accu chek insight i've had a new handset & pump already ( Started on the 2nd dec). First ever pump aswell :( it does its job though :D

Cassandra13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
What other pods are out there now? I am looking to get a pump and have been considering a pod, but as far as I know Canada only has omnipod .... Maybe new pods will be coming my
way soon?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
What other pods are out there now? I am looking to get a pump and have been considering a pod, but as far as I know Canada only has omnipod .... Maybe new pods will be coming my
way soon?

There's another patch pump called Cellnovo, unsure if its available in Canada but you could contact the company and ask.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I have posted this on diabetes daily but wondered if any pumpers on here have any opinions they may wish to impart.

My 4-year contract with Accu-Chek is due to end in March. I was not offered a choice when I started.

I have been given three choices this time:

stay with Accu-Chek
Change to Minimed 640G or Animas Vibe

The brochures have hardly any technical info. Im not interested in the colour or whether I can use it for swimming!

What makes any of them stand out?
Thanks
As according to your post on the forum you mention you do not use any of the features, then go for the very basic pump which is the vibe. Very easy to set up almost but not quite idiot proof. It's basically the same as the animas 2020 except they have added CGM to it. Obviously that's your choice as to whether you can afford or want to use CGM, but it's there if you want it.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Johnny37 I am in the same position as you but in the next few days, I've had the good fortune to be able to look at all the other pumps, and try the Omnipod.

I made a list of my main needs and it came down to the Vibe and the Insight with the Insight winning in the end because I wanted the remote capability.

However it was a close call as I also use the Dexcom and going Vibe would save me money too.

I agree with CarbsRok, if you have no specific direct needs and you don't mind being wired up then maybe the Vibe is the better choice for you ?