Choosing what to eat in a Las Iguanas restaurant

Lawrence73

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cricket, rugby
Hi I'm going out for a staff meal on Monday night to a Las Iguanas restaurant and was wondering if anyone could recommend some dishes or what to avoid (not for taste but low carbs obviously)
I have looked at their menu and allergens list and some of the things on the menu I have no idea if they contain carbs and if so in what quantity.
I know I can ask a member of the waiting staff or the manager but I thought I'd ask on here if anyone has eaten there and could recommend something as a heads up so I don't take too long choosing what I can eat and hold everyone up.

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been had had the chicken and steak before with salad. Dressing on the side.

Was very good - i cant really worry about the marinade of the chicken myself as i dont count quite to those levels - but if you stay clear of the "sticky" o BBQ ones i cant imagine they will be that carby

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I'm going out for a staff meal on Monday night to a Las Iguanas restaurant and was wondering if anyone could recommend some dishes or what to avoid (not for taste but low carbs obviously)
I have looked at their menu and allergens list and some of the things on the menu I have no idea if they contain carbs and if so in what quantity.
I know I can ask a member of the waiting staff or the manager but I thought I'd ask on here if anyone has eaten there and could recommend something as a heads up so I don't take too long choosing what I can eat and hold everyone up.
Never been there, but I love a good puzzle. ;) Personally I'd try these, but I don't know whether they're alright.

Crispy pork crackling dusted with a chilli seasoning, served with guacamole. Or Peruvian Botija Olives in a herby marinade as starters
You could ask for the taco's without the shells, tortilla's without tortilla? The other meals without the sweet potato mash, corn or rice, it's just all a matter of asking the kitchen to leave something out. (Which they'll gladly do, rather than toss perfectly good food in the bin). Salad sides are okay from the look of it. For dessert just go for a coffee (with cream?) on the side, if available...
It's workable, if you're willing to ask for adjustments...

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just looked back at my spreadsheets (yes I admit to being a data geek!) as I have all my food recorded since diagnosis :wideyed:
We often eat at Las Iguanas when we’re on holiday. The last time I went I had a chicken curry with spring greens in stead of rice. Another time I had Bahian chicken with a side salad. I’m sure I probably asked if there was sugar added to the chicken meals. My bloods sugars were fine with these choices, but of course in the end it’ll be your judgement what’s best for you :)