Chosing the right meter!!

Yerusha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As someone who has been newly diagnosed for less than six months, there are lots of discussions on Glucose Meters for testing, something which i think i need to do for my own personal daily records... I have looked around at the meters on offer here but wanted the panels advise on the type of meter they currently use and what is the best one's for use... Your opinions are appreciated.... :cool:

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Depends upon if you get the test strips on prescription or have to self-fund, some who have to self-fund go for the SD Codefree which is by far the cheapest for strips.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
SD Codefree is the brand name of the meter many people on the forum use because of the lost cost of its strips - a serious consideration when you have to fund your own. It's a bit confusing because until fairly recently many meters used coded strips, but most have now switched to "code free" strips.

Robbity

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If you go for Codefree you only get 10 strips with the meter I think. There's a money-saving offer if you add these codes ordering online.
5 packs (250 strips) 264086
10 packs (500 strips) 975833

It's an excellent idea to get a meter, and do test regularly -- upon waking, immediately before a meal and two hours after the first bite. A pattern will emerge. Some of us tested up to 7 or 8 times a day at first.

I can't see from your other posts whether you have read the forum's excellent guide to managing your diabetes, but I'll tag @daisy1 to pass it on. I see also you are having a hard time deciding what to eat and drink. Perhaps we can use this thread to help you understand a bit more :)

Last edited by a moderator: