Christmas food - what's your favourite d-friendly snacks/treats for the holiday season?

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
Hello lovelies,
So..... Christmas is coming up soon, my Mum called (she's a true matriarch and is already planning Christmas Day food, doh!) but she asked me about specific foods that I might like for snackage or dinner etc. I'm newly diagnosed (last week) but already thinking ahead on making sure stay on track and not affecting my BG levels, for what I find is possibly *the* hardest season for willpower! My family get togethers are a carb/sugar lovers dream - but obviously I'll be staying well clear of all of that!

But, what are your favourite snacks, treats, foods to see you through the Christmas holiday? (Interested in recipes or suggestions I can use )

Last edited:

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello lovelies,
So..... Christmas is coming up soon, my Mum called (she's a true matriarch and is already planning Christmas Day food, doh!) but she asked me about specific foods that I might I'm newly diagnosed (last week) but already thinking ahead on making sure stay on track and not affecting my BG levels, for what I find is possibly *the* hardest season for willpower! My family get togethers are a carb/sugar lovers dream - but obviously I'll be staying well clear of all of that!

But, what are your favourite snacks, treats, foods to see you through the Christmas holiday? (Interested in recipes or suggestions I can use )

Loads on Dietdoctor.com, of course. My mom always makes a roast beef with lots of mushrooms in the gravy (no binding with carbs in it), lot of veggies are okay, just don't add potatoes. I think brussels sprouts are traditional in the UK? I usually have mine with a bunch of little bacon strips. And my family always gets together in the afternoon, with a lot of snacks on the table. Since I've become diabetic it's changed a little, to now include (luxury) cheeses, olives, salmon, smoked eel, trout, herring, nuts, extra dark chocolate, filled cherrytomaties (with shrimps and a little bit of sauce), maybe mini-skewers of meat or veggies... You can have *some* carbs you know, just be selective and don't go overboard. ;) I can have one bon-bon, but will have to skip something else because of it, for instance. Pick'n'choose. Dietdoctor has a lot of desserts, and I think I'll try making one for Christmas myself.

I got these cute little skewers on AliExpress, which'll make it all look extra inviting. We eat with our eyes as well, after all... And if a hearty snack is safe to eat, just make it look extra christmassy to hit the spot!

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I have ditchthecarbs and dietdoctor pinned to the top of my screen. Both have lots of recipes for snack type treats, but I would go with the list of snacks by @JoKalsbeek. Cheese does not have to be cheddar, brie or stilton from the supermarket and even they are beginning to stock a wider range for customers. With a really good roast meal I can not resist a smallish roast pot, but limit it to just one and lots of other veg, broccoli, cauliflower, some carrots. I must admit I have yet to find a low carb version of Christmas pudding or mince pies but a sliver with cream followed by a walk and cheese snacks salves my conscience. :)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@IronLioness - If you just Google, "low carb Christmas recipes", loads come up.

Some of the LC foodie bloggers do aggregated posts for various events. Here are a couple:

https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/healthy-christmas-recipes/

https://www.tasteaholics.com/recipes/roundups/30-low-carb-christmas-recipes/

https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/low-carb-holiday-baking-cookies-cakes-and-other-deliciousness/

For the American bloggers, it can also be worrthwhile doing a search for Thanksgiving recipes too. There are all sorts out there, including liqueurs, and cocktails.

Reactions: IronLioness

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
@IronLioness - If you just Google, "low carb Christmas recipes", loads come up.

Some of the LC foodie bloggers do aggregated posts for various events. Here are a couple:

https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/healthy-christmas-recipes/

https://www.tasteaholics.com/recipes/roundups/30-low-carb-christmas-recipes/

https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/low-carb-holiday-baking-cookies-cakes-and-other-deliciousness/

For the American bloggers, it can also be worrthwhile doing a search for Thanksgiving recipes too. There are all sorts out there, including liqueurs, and cocktails.
Cocktails, you say??? *ears perk up*

Thanks @DCUKMod I'll get on those links

Reactions: Serena51

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
Loads on Dietdoctor.com, of course. My mom always makes a roast beef with lots of mushrooms in the gravy (no binding with carbs in it), lot of veggies are okay, just don't add potatoes. I think brussels sprouts are traditional in the UK? I usually have mine with a bunch of little bacon strips. And my family always gets together in the afternoon, with a lot of snacks on the table. Since I've become diabetic it's changed a little, to now include (luxury) cheeses, olives, salmon, smoked eel, trout, herring, nuts, extra dark chocolate, filled cherrytomaties (with shrimps and a little bit of sauce), maybe mini-skewers of meat or veggies... You can have *some* carbs you know, just be selective and don't go overboard. ;) I can have one bon-bon, but will have to skip something else because of it, for instance. Pick'n'choose. Dietdoctor has a lot of desserts, and I think I'll try making one for Christmas myself.

I got these cute little skewers on AliExpress, which'll make it all look extra inviting. We eat with our eyes as well, after all... And if a hearty snack is safe to eat, just make it look extra christmassy to hit the spot!
Excellent link Jo, thank you! Also, really good suggestions there. I love the roast beef idea too!

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
I have ditchthecarbs and dietdoctor pinned to the top of my screen. Both have lots of recipes for snack type treats, but I would go with the list of snacks by @JoKalsbeek. Cheese does not have to be cheddar, brie or stilton from the supermarket and even they are beginning to stock a wider range for customers. With a really good roast meal I can not resist a smallish roast pot, but limit it to just one and lots of other veg, broccoli, cauliflower, some carrots. I must admit I have yet to find a low carb version of Christmas pudding or mince pies but a sliver with cream followed by a walk and cheese snacks salves my conscience. :)
Ooh thanks for the ditchthecarbs link, I'll check that out. I'm going to try and just be super sensible and protein it up this Christmas season. I've got my 1st review mid January and my holiday to the USA right after Christmas so I need to be super careful. I'll definitely plan Christmas to avoid the usual treats abd whatnot, mainly to keep the willpower in check. I like the idea of healthy low carb options to fall back on it needed.

Reactions: Serena51

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
Gin, with ice and lemon...its the mixers wot cause the problems :angelic:

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
scrambled eggs and smoked salmon is fab for Christmas breakfast :happy:

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
Yes they are, but as a T1 on insulin carbs are not necessarily too much of a problem.
Maybe not the best low carb snack at Christmas time.
Although, I saw something called 'Lo Dough' yesterday floating around the net. I might buy a pack, toast it and see what it's like. Apparently 39 cals and 2g of carbs in each 'piece' which looks about the size of a tortilla. Probably doesn't taste fab but a good alternative to cover Christmas bits. Maybe even an alternative to the cream crackers, interesting..

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I love xmas food. Being T1D I can indulge BUT inject an awful lot of insulin over the xmas period :)