Christmas

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone, I wonder if you can help. This is my first christmas as a diabetic and my Husband has been newly diagnosed, can we drink (in moderation) and eat christmas cake? I have made a diabetic christmas cake, and tried a mince pie, our sugar levels went up to 10 but went down quite quickly, what are your thoughts on this?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi kay957.

Short answers.....Drink Yes...in moderation. A glass or two of wine, maybe a couple of beers ? :D

As for Christmas Cake....I shall be eating my hand made Full strength Christmas Cake.....not all at once...... :shock: What is a Diabetic Christmas Cake ......???

I can manage ONE Mince Pie with some Brandy Sauce without any problem. As it's Christmas I think I shall be letting myself off the leash....a little :wink: . Not a licence to go mad, just enjoy yourselves. :D

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Kay
you can probably have a taste of almost anything, but keep the portion to a spoonful. Keep checking the Bg and you'll know how to go on and what you can have a little more of.
hana

dragongirl

Would it be correct to assume that Christmas cake and mince pies would not be quite so good for "diet-only" people? I'm not that bothered to be honest, but I just wondered.
DG

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Yes they are absolutely terrible !!! :shock: :shock: :shock: but I don't care, I'm eating them anyway!! :lol: :lol:

ham79

Dislikes
diabetes and cbeebies
it's Christmas have fun and look after yourself make sure you've got your kit and fingers crossed santas good to one and all

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I can't see why you can't enjoy a couple of drinks on christmas day, also can't see any harm in eating a small mince pie, all in moderation of course! :wink:

Just keep a eye on your bg during the day, I will be over indulging on christmas day, I tend to have a good feast then take the dog for a 3-4 mile walk. It works wonders for me, but I don't worry to much at christmas as I watch what I eat the other 364 days of the year.

Enjoy your day

Nigel

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
noblehead said:
I can't see why you can't enjoy a couple of drinks on christmas day, also can't see any harm in eating a small mince pie, all in moderation of course! :wink:

Just keep a eye on your bg during the day, I will be over indulging on christmas day, I tend to have a good feast then take the dog for a 3-4 mile walk. It works wonders for me, but I don't worry to much at christmas as I watch what I eat the other 364 days of the year.

Enjoy your day

Nigel
I might just take the dog for a good walk christmas day lol
Soem one asked "What is diabetic Chrismas cake"? well I got the recipe from a cookbook for diabetics, it is made with wholewheat flour, diabetic brown sugar and it came out really great, I have even put a bit of booze in the cake:D

IanS

cugila said:
Short answers.....Drink Yes...in moderation. A glass or two of wine, maybe a couple of beers ? :D

This is a conversation that I had with my DN at our first encounter. Her opening shot was to tell me that I need to restrict my alcohol consumption to 21 units per week.

"Hang on!", I said, "that's the amount you tell everyone that they should consume. So there is no real restriction because of the diabetes then".

"Er, no. Not really", was the reluctant reply.

I did cut down my alcohol consumption but it was at silly levels. Now I generally stick to either Bacardi and Coke zero (not a carb in sight) red or dry white wine (white contains a small amount). If I want to have a beer or three, then I offset it against potatoes.

The one thing I do do, and the DN completely agreed, is to have 2 alcohol free days (apparently you can sneak the total consumption up a unit or two if you do this).

The alcohol free days will be temporarily suspended for the Christmas period :twisted: . I also believe that there is little harm in indulging oneself on an occasional basis (say once a month).

IanS.