Cinnamon how much, how often to stabilize blood sugars?

troika1

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum. I have been reading around diabeties for a litle while now and have come across articles that indicate some foods are worth investigating for the positive effects on blood sugars and hypertension. However, these articles never actually state amounts or how often they should be eaten. One presumes they are best eaten as close to their natural state as possible. But does anyone know how much cinnamon or how often you need to take it, for it to have an appreciable effect on blood sugars? Exactly how much beetroot or beetroot juice would be needed to bring your blood pressure down and thereby negate the need for medication? Has anyone got any evidence of these or any other foods that would have positive effects for diabetics?

Reactions: 2 people

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't bother with UK cinnamon, it has to be Cinnamomum Cassia which is contained in McCormicks cinnamon which I buy from the US from ebay. I put about 1 gram on my modified museli breakfast each day.

Reactions: 2 people

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Hello troika1 and welcome to the forum

I take Cinnamon and other natural supplements to help lower blood sugar levels. They do seem to work reasonably well but none are a tenth as good as getting your diet sorted out. To really normalise blood sugar levels look to reduce the carbohydrates you are eating so drastically or cut out anything with sugar and then at least halve the amount of rice, pasta, potatoes, cereal, bread and any other flour based products. Replace the remaining rice, pasta and bread with the brown versions, Burgen soya bread is the best. If you do that you will be near enough following a similar diet to one the Swedish health system recommends. I followed it and normalised my levels in around 10 weeks. I did end up eating less carbohydrate than the Swedish diet recommended. You can read some more about the Swedish stuff on this thread

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28402

and you can see the discussions we are having around Cinnamon and other things on this thread.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=27056

Take care and keep asking questions

Unbeliever

Hi Troika, Re beetroot juice , I tried this a while ago but found ithat just the iniest glass of it made my bs levels spike enormously. This is to be expected I suppose but I was hoping to be able to tolerate a small amount..
Apparently all sorts of claims are made for it .
My husband still has it but not for any specific condition so it is difficult to know if it does anything for him or not..

troika1

Thanks Denise, Xyzzy and unbeliever,

What is McCormick's?

I am trying to reduce my carbs not only to reduce my blood sugars but also to loose a little weight. I am investigating low GI recipes and am about to purchase a cook book by Rose Elliot. I'll let you know what I think about it after trying out some of the recipes.

I had thought that beetroot contained sugar but not enough to really make that much of a difference and that the benefits might outweigh any negatives.

Unbeliever

troika1 said:
Thanks Denise, Xyzzy and unbeliever,

I had thought that beetroot contained sugar but not enough to really make that much of a difference and that the benefits might outweigh any negatives.

That was just something for you to beware of Troika, One of the nurses in the hospital recommended beetroot juice to me - just as a general health supplement. She thought it might be OK but warned me to test after drinking . I did . It produced a huge spike as did beetroot power {a tiny amount] in another supplement I tried to take.
That could just be me and you might not react in that way, You won't know unless you test. We are all different.

troika1

Hi Denise,

I was wondering why you would prefer an American cinnamon over a uk one so I thought I would do some investigating. All the sites I visited stated that Cassia (sold as cinnamon) contains a large amount of courmin which is toxic to the liver and could potentially cause rashes and irritation of the stomach. They suggest that Ceylon cinnamon is used as it contains less courmin and is finer although it is harder to come by. :)

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
troika1 said:
Hi Denise,

I was wondering why you would prefer an American cinnamon over a uk one so I thought I would do some investigating. All the sites I visited stated that Cassia (sold as cinnamon) contains a large amount of courmin which is toxic to the liver and could potentially cause rashes and irritation of the stomach. They suggest that Ceylon cinnamon is used as it contains less courmin and is finer although it is harder to come by. :)

Hi troika1

That's a bit worrying. Just worked out on my weight of 88kg that if the Cassia Cinnamon I have has the maximum courmin content research suggests I could be taking up to 60% of the tolerated safe daily dose by taking my normal 1.5 grams / day. On the minimum courmin content research suggests that would fall to around 30% of the safe tolerated dose.

So at my weight I am well under the recommended limit but not worth the risk imo so will be stopping with immediate effect and try looking for Ceylon based cinnamon instead.

I will take the liberty of posting your comments on the other thread as well.

troika1

Hi Denise,
Glad I could help. I understand cinnamon is also good for lowering cholestrol not sure which one, LDL or HDL but I will do more research and get back to you. :)

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've posted on the other cinnamon thread that I will continue with what I'm currently doing as I know it lowers my BS levels. I want to get off the Gliclazide.

willhove

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi everyone, I am new to the forum. I have been reading around diabeties for a litle while now and have come across articles that indicate some foods are worth investigating for the positive effects on blood sugars and hypertension. However, these articles never actually state amounts or how often they should be eaten. One presumes they are best eaten as close to their natural state as possible. But does anyone know how much cinnamon or how often you need to take it, for it to have an appreciable effect on blood sugars? Exactly how much beetroot or beetroot juice would be needed to bring your blood pressure down and thereby negate the need for medication? Has anyone got any evidence of these or any other foods that would have positive effects for diabetics?

willhove

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
(True) Ceylon Cinnamon can be bought on Amazon.co.uk.,I have a milky drink each evening and that seems to help. Don't but "Cassia" Cinnamon which is bad for the liver.
Apple Cider Vinegar is also good but you must get the "RAW" version with the "the mother" Braggs is the best and can also be bought on Amazon.co.uk

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Daylesford organic Ceylon cinnamon sticks are available from Ocado if you want to grind it yourself, to be sure you're getting the right cinnamon.

The EU limits cassia cinnamon to 15mg per kilo of dough for everyday pastries and 50mg per kilo for traditional seasonal pastries in commercial bakeries. According to an article in the Guardian, 'experts' say the TDI (tolerable daily intake) for coumarin is 0.1mg per kilo of bodyweight per day.

There are no warnings on jars sold in supermarkets, they happily sell you a 45g jar without specifying which cinnamon it contains or telling you that overconsumption can cause liver damage.

I used to take it but now buy the Daylesford cinnamon sticks.