cinnamon

lanzlady

Was wondering is it worth taking cinamon I am on 3 x500mg metformin started sitagliptin 2 weeks ago but my levels are still high
was diagnosed Jan 2010 levels are creeping up since last Oct despite using my treadmill and losing weight any answers welcome :)

Lanzlady

Grazer

Re: cinamon

Don't know is the quick answer! Some people on here have used cinnamon and claim it lowers BGs a little, but I don't think you should expect too much from it. What is the rest of your diet like? Tweaking that may well make far more diference than taking cinnamon.

Fraddycat

I have started to use cinnamon - everything I can to improve my next HBA1C at the end of the month. Its a bit too soon to figure out what difference it makes but other posters suggest if gives you a 0.5 improvement on BG readings.

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I have been taking cinnamon for 3 months I think it helps a Little, if anything I regulates your motabolism, I now take bitter melon too, I think ths has a little better results.

lanzlady

BioHaZarD said:
I have been taking cinnamon for 3 months I think it helps a Little, if anything I regulates your motabolism, I now take bitter melon too, I think ths has a little better results.

Hi how much cinnamon do do take ?

Lanzlady

lanzlady

Fraddycat said:
I have started to use cinnamon - everything I can to improve my next HBA1C at the end of the month. Its a bit too soon to figure out what difference it makes but other posters suggest if gives you a 0.5 improvement on BG readings.

Hi how much cinnamon do you take ?

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

lanzlady said:
BioHaZarD said:

Hi how much cinnamon do do take ?

Lanzlady

I take 1 a day normally, if I feel I may have had something a litte more carby/sugary I may take another with the meal in the evening. It says take 2 a day on bottle.

paragliderpete

both me and my partner take cinammon. We take 1500mg per day each. Overall it lowers our weekly BM's by about 0.5mmol. However both of us have averages in the low 5's , and we have noticed that it has it's best effect in lowering spikes, once you have these under control, then it's noticable effects are much more difficult to determine.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
I've just started taking cinnamon and bitter melon but I'm not sure when is the right time to take it. Should it be taken before, with or after meals? :think:

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
GraceK said:
I've just started taking cinnamon and bitter melon but I'm not sure when is the right time to take it. Should it be taken before, with or after meals? :think:

I take mine just before I eat breakfast, if I take an additional one it's usually after dinner.

Defren

I take 2 x 850 grams in the morning and 2 x 850 grams at night. My BG is very stable and I wouldn't stop using it. I have tried Fenugreek and Bitter Melon, neither did anything. I made cinnamon muffins a while back, and my BG hit the floor, so I would suggest cinnamon does something.

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Defren said:
I take 2 x 850 grams in the morning and 2 x 850 grams at night. My BG is very stable and I wouldn't stop using it. I have tried Fenugreek and Bitter Melon, neither did anything. I made cinnamon muffins a while back, and my BG hit the floor, so I would suggest cinnamon does something.

+1

lanzlady

lanzlady said:
Was wondering is it worth taking cinamon I am on 3 x500mg metformin started sitagliptin 2 weeks ago but my levels are still high
was diagnosed Jan 2010 levels are creeping up since last Oct despite using my treadmill and losing weight any answers welcome :)

Lanzlady

My cinnamon arrived five minutes ago while reading the bottle it reads supports healthy blood sugar levels already in
the normal range !!
they are swanson full spectrum 375mg anyone tried this brand I purchased from amazone :)

Lanzlady

Fraddycat

I have been taking cinnamon now for about 3 weeks, before I started taking them I was getting fasting BG readings of 7.5 - 7.8 in the mornings, this morning it was 5.2. Now some of that is down to losing a bit of weight and maybe also from not drinking alcohol but I am chuffed to bits to get a 5.2 - its the lowest I think I have ever had as a fasting reading!!

Acharia

I am taking a small coffee spoon of cinnamon powder since I was put on medication in 2007 mixed in rolled oats/skimmed milk breakfast each morning. For medication I take 2x500mg SR Metformin reduved from four. My HbA1c has been between 5.1 to 5.9 but recently it was 6.5 which I am told is still very good by the nurse.
For food I am a vegetarian from birth and fond of Indian sweets which I eat as and when an occasion arises and main meals are of high carborates content. I do avoid sweets but not as one diabetic should. May be cinnamon is keeping me above the problem?
We buy cinnamon powder jar from Costco and last a long time rather than buying expensive capsules.
I am 80 years old of Indian origin and most of our vegetable curries contain cinnamon too.
My personal experience of cinnamon is quite good.
Wish you all good health.

sinbad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
I have taken cinnamon and can assure you it does not bring your blood sugar down poster who say it does are not being the full monty with the truth