1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Cinnemon? Benefits of.

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by POO`s 2, Jun 16, 2009.

1. POO`s 2

POO`s 2 · Member

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if it has been proved that taking a cinnamon capsule before meals three times a day reduces blood sugar levels. My local health food shop said that cinnamon is widely used for this purpose but I am not sure if this might be a sales pitch. I would be grateful for any information on this subject. Poo`s 2

2. cugila

cugila · Master

3. POO`s 2

POO`s 2 · Member

Hi,

Just been on to the link you provided Ken and found it interesting reading. Thanks I will probably give the cinnamon a go and see if it helps. Poo`s2

4. Spiral

Spiral · Well-Known Member

The chap who did the initial research on cinammon didn't use capsules, he used the spice you buy in food shops. So I'd say capsules were a sales pitch.

Visit this site http://www.bloodsugar101.com/ and look in the "Drugs and food" page then find the picture that goes with "Helpful supplements for diabetes".

5. ChocFish

ChocFish · Well-Known Member

Capsules are expensive, you get cinnamon in the shops really cheap, dont be tempted to by the expensive cinnamon, just the bog standard ordinary cinnamon is what you want.

I have taken cinnamon for years, I am not sure if it helped with bg, bit maybe it worked in combination with some of the other things I am taking/doing.

Just dont overdo it on the cinnamon, high doses can irritate your stomach and even cause ulcers, and are not necessary, I stir the powder into coffee, or stewed/baked apple, or sprinkle over my porridge (< this doesnt raise my bg, not since I make it with Soya milk instead of cows milk which contains lactose, you can add a bit of cream to your porridge to make it more luxurious and creamy :) )

All the best

Karen

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook