circulation booster

ruthc56

My Mum has diabetes and has recently said she wants to buy a High Tech Circulation Booster. Having read the "research" quoted on the site, and done a thorough google search I am extremely concerned that these things are just an expensive alternative to exercise. Another post highlighted the Australian ban on them being advertised for improving circulation, and Uk ASA are also investigating them. The "research" was done with 18 healthy adult males between 25 and 41 yrs old. If read carefully and ignoring the confusing "statistics", it concluded that the while the subjective swelling and discomfort was reduced there was only a very small actual reduction in swelling!! In other words although the young men trying it felt that it helped it actually did not! The other research quoted (not dated or peer reviewed!) relates to long haul flights, people post and during surgery, which increases risk of blood clots and spinal injury / severely immobile patients. This; www.podiatry-arena.com/podiatry-forum/showthread.php?t. links to the podiatory forum where theses products are discussed. As stated on several sites...make your own mind up but with properly informed information!
I was very concerned to find that Diabetes.co.uk actually advertise this product along with all the questionable claims.

ruthc56

Thanks Catherine, I have done that now. Think the issues around this expensive piece of equipment should also be highlighted to other members of the forum also.

MegaMan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not much I'm easy going :D
This product is very exspensive, think I'll stick to the gym.

There is a cheaper alternative now which is called the Circulation Massager Electroflex. I think it is only about £130 compared to £199.

Philip
Lancashire

CantThinkOfAUsername

I think that they are all a waste of money and are highly unlikely to beat some exercise and maybe some warming herbs such as small amounts of cayenne pepper and ginger which would do far more than these expensive devices and cost significantly less.

They certainly would never get any money out of me.

patriciaem

i attended a lymphodaema clinic yesterday at the hospice, and they recommend the circulation booster!! as i have difficulty walking as legs and feet are so swollen, it is difficult to exercise, but i try my best!! so now i am in a quandary, to buy or not to buy?? i am type 2 diabetic with various health problems and am 74 years old. so come on what do i do?

Tracey69

Hi
When i bought a foot spa it said on the box not ideal for diabetics, I would be concerned that if you didn't know if you had any blood problems eg clots, or heart problems even Neuropathy i am sure a little exercise would be better.

C

catherinecherub

patriciaem said:
i attended a lymphodaema clinic yesterday at the hospice, and they recommend the circulation booster!! as i have difficulty walking as legs and feet are so swollen, it is difficult to exercise, but i try my best!! so now i am in a quandary, to buy or not to buy?? i am type 2 diabetic with various health problems and am 74 years old. so come on what do i do?

Hi,
The Advertising Standards Agency did not think much of the Circulation Booster's medical claims.

http://www.asa.org.uk/ASA-action/Adjudi ... 50690.aspx

It is a lot of money for something that may or may not work. Perhaps Physio would be a better idea. They may be able to sort out a programme of exercises for you. Your G.P. could arrange this.