Classic Steak Burger & Meatballs Recipe

Durthic

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
As promised in my Question thread regarding the best ingredients to use in butchery products, I present to you my recipe that can be used for not only a classic steak burger, but also for beef meatballs!

I've gone to the most extreme end of the scale I can possibly go with this (as in the lowest amount of fat, sugars, etc. while maintaining flavour) in order to give you all the chance to be able to play with the recipe a bit and adjust it to how you like it personally, but it is certainly a great base to start from!

I have said use lean beef, but I ended up having to go down the route of using brisket for this as A) It was done at about 8pm on a sunday night, and B) I couldn't get to work to get my hands on some chuck, but any lean steak of your choice will be more than good enough for this. I trimmed ALL fat off of the meat and then weighed out the quantity that I required, but if you like more fat, then feel free to add some in!

Ingredients:

1Kg of lean Beef
1.5g (or a good pinch) Salt
1.5g (or a good pinch) Black Pepper
3g Paprika
1/2 Onion (can be any colour of your choice)
80g Oatmeal
80ml Water (adjust to get the consistency that you like)

Method:

I have my own small mincer (about £35 from a local store) so I have done it based on that, but you can quite easily use the prepacked mince that you can get off the shelf at a supermarket.

Mince the beef through the coarse plate once.

Add in the seasonings, oatmeal, and onion and mix well. Try to keep the mince as loose as possible! The way I do this is to make my hand like a leaf rake, and then mix that way without compressing the mince. The aim is to get the seasonings distributed as evenly through the mince as possible without clumps.

Add the water to hydrate the oatmeal. At this point, you can compress the mince to get a good mix. The key here is to work the meat to extract the Myosin protein (it acts as a binding agent similar to gluten in baking). You'll know when you have it right when the mince starts to bind together, provide some resistance to being mixed, and has a slight bounce to it when pressed.

At this point, change the mincer plate to the medium plate, and then mince the mix once again. You're now ready to make some burgers or meatballs!

For burgers, simply weigh out a ball about 113g (a quarter of a pound), and then simply press this into a burger patty. From there it's a simple case of repeat until you run out of burger mix.

For meatballs, simply roll into balls about the size that you like them to be (you can get about 36 good sized meatballs out of this).

PLEASE NOTE: This recipe has been built around not only my fathers diabetes, but also my mothers preference for a low salt diet. You may like a bigger kick from the pepper, if so simply double the pepper amount.

Based on the nutritional values of what I used, here's a bit of a napkin Nutrition Information table. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this until I can get a batch sent off to a local nutritional research institute for confirmation:

Per 100g:

Carbohydrate - 4.8g
Of which Sugars - 0.8g
Fat - 0.8g
Of which Saturates - 0.12g
Of which Monosaturates - 0.3g
Of which Polysaturates - 0.22g
Fibre - 0.72g
Salt - 0.15g

As you might agree, these are actually pretty healthy on their own, but having some salad with them will make them even better!

As far as shrinkage goes, you get around 2-5% shrinkage on the burgers, with almost nothing coming out of the burgers - if anything it's just fluid from the onions.

If needed, I can redo this post with pictures to give you a better idea of processes, and what you should be looking for, as well as the finished product!

If you try this, please report back and let me know what you thought of them! I'm always looking for ways to make them better, and it'll also be interesting seeing what variations you come up with! :D

claire7419

Durthic said:
As promised in my Question thread regarding the best ingredients to use in butchery products, I present to you my recipe that can be used for not only a classic steak burger, but also for beef meatballs!

I've gone to the most extreme end of the scale I can possibly go with this (as in the lowest amount of fat, sugars, etc. while maintaining flavour) in order to give you all the chance to be able to play with the recipe a bit and adjust it to how you like it personally, but it is certainly a great base to start from!

I have said use lean beef, but I ended up having to go down the route of using brisket for this as A) It was done at about 8pm on a sunday night, and B) I couldn't get to work to get my hands on some chuck, but any lean steak of your choice will be more than good enough for this. I trimmed ALL fat off of the meat and then weighed out the quantity that I required, but if you like more fat, then feel free to add some in!

Ingredients:

1Kg of lean Beef
1.5g (or a good pinch) Salt
1.5g (or a good pinch) Black Pepper
3g Paprika
1/2 Onion (can be any colour of your choice)
80g Oatmeal
80ml Water (adjust to get the consistency that you like)

Method:

I have my own small mincer (about £35 from a local store) so I have done it based on that, but you can quite easily use the prepacked mince that you can get off the shelf at a supermarket.

Mince the beef through the coarse plate once.

Add in the seasonings, oatmeal, and onion and mix well. Try to keep the mince as loose as possible! The way I do this is to make my hand like a leaf rake, and then mix that way without compressing the mince. The aim is to get the seasonings distributed as evenly through the mince as possible without clumps.

Add the water to hydrate the oatmeal. At this point, you can compress the mince to get a good mix. The key here is to work the meat to extract the Myosin protein (it acts as a binding agent similar to gluten in baking). You'll know when you have it right when the mince starts to bind together, provide some resistance to being mixed, and has a slight bounce to it when pressed.

At this point, change the mincer plate to the medium plate, and then mince the mix once again. You're now ready to make some burgers or meatballs!

For burgers, simply weigh out a ball about 113g (a quarter of a pound), and then simply press this into a burger patty. From there it's a simple case of repeat until you run out of burger mix.

For meatballs, simply roll into balls about the size that you like them to be (you can get about 36 good sized meatballs out of this).

PLEASE NOTE: This recipe has been built around not only my fathers diabetes, but also my mothers preference for a low salt diet. You may like a bigger kick from the pepper, if so simply double the pepper amount.

Based on the nutritional values of what I used, here's a bit of a napkin Nutrition Information table. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this until I can get a batch sent off to a local nutritional research institute for confirmation:

Per 100g:

Carbohydrate - 4.8g
Of which Sugars - 0.8g
Fat - 0.8g
Of which Saturates - 0.12g
Of which Monosaturates - 0.3g
Of which Polysaturates - 0.22g
Fibre - 0.72g
Salt - 0.15g

As you might agree, these are actually pretty healthy on their own, but having some salad with them will make them even better!

As far as shrinkage goes, you get around 2-5% shrinkage on the burgers, with almost nothing coming out of the burgers - if anything it's just fluid from the onions.

If needed, I can redo this post with pictures to give you a better idea of processes, and what you should be looking for, as well as the finished product!

If you try this, please report back and let me know what you thought of them! I'm always looking for ways to make them better, and it'll also be interesting seeing what variations you come up with! :D

Great recipe! I haven't tried this one yet. I will try it for a day and we'll see!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sounds lovely and nothing beats home-made burgers and meatballs. The only changes and extra's I'd make is to replace the oatmeal with breadcrumbs, the water for an egg to bind, a squirt of tomato purée, teaspoon full of horseradish, beef Oxo cube and about 6-8 cloves of garlic.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is more or less the recipe that I used to use before I got the dreaded DB but after that I left out the oatmeal I never measured quantities though but I may try this because I am sure I can manage that amount of carbs the consistancy is not as good without the oatmeal I also add fresh chilli and garlic to the burgers Thanks a lot for this recipe I really appreciate the work you have done for us :D
Can you now work out the recipe for a low carb bun to put it on :lol:
CAROL

Durthic

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Surprisingly the oatmeal doesn't noticeably change the texture at all.

Also, the main reason for the oatmeal from a diabetes point of view is that it slows the metabolism and stops the body from absorbing carbs too quickly, thus stopping the body from converting them to sugar so quickly, and thus helping to maintain an even blood sugar level. That said, there's no stopping you using a blend of breadcrumbs or oatmeal!

As I said in the recipe post though, that was me going to the most extreme end of "healthy" as the ingredients would allow. I'd personally have about 5% of the meat weight as fat, at least 3g of pepper, 5g of Paprika, 3g of nutmeg, and probably a little chilli in there too.

The point of the water is to work with the salt to help extract the Myosin protein so that binds everything together, but an egg is perfectly fine (and can add a bit more to the flavour too, so I'd say go for it!) I'm going to have to try out some of the variations that you guys have come up with, they sound lovely!

Coming next is my Turkey, sage and spring onion burgers and meatballs. Again it'll be a stripped out recipe that you can all play with and make your own!

2christine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I love your recipes, thank you for caring and inspiration. :clap:

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Great ! Thanks :thumbup: ill give the burgers a go at the weekend (with the fat added) :thumbup:

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I got my mince today from my local butcher I usually eat burgers more in summer cooked on the BBQ but I am going to cook them soon I dont have a mincer so mine are more chuncky but I will work them more as you have explained and will add water that I dont usually do Thanks again
CAROL

Durthic

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
carty said:
I got my mince today from my local butcher I usually eat burgers more in summer cooked on the BBQ but I am going to cook them soon I dont have a mincer so mine are more chuncky but I will work them more as you have explained and will add water that I dont usually do Thanks again
CAROL

Just make sure to not add too much water, otherwise they won't bind and will fall apart when you cook them.

I was going to post the turkey recipe last night, but the site stopped working for me (which I'm sure the new forum software will sort), so I'll get cracking with that!

In other news, my shiny new sausage press was delivered today, so I'll get some casings ordered up and start thinking about the first batch i'll run through it :D All I can say is that the thing is a beast, it's WAY better quality than the one I use at work (not to mention it's HUGE too!) I did go a little overboard when ordering it as it's a hand cranked small scale industrial thing, but it's what I'm used to, so I think good things will come from it!

Here's what I was thinking for first batch options:

Pork Breakfast Sausage
Pork and cracked black pepper sausage
Pork and Leek sausage
Pork, cheese and leak sausage
The official Yorkshire sausage (adapted to suit of course)

What do you guys think?

Carbdodger

noblehead said:
Sounds lovely and nothing beats home-made burgers and meatballs. The only changes and extra's I'd make is to replace the oatmeal with breadcrumbs, the water for an egg to bind, a squirt of tomato purée, teaspoon full of horseradish, beef Oxo cube and about 6-8 cloves of garlic.

Er.... So basically change the whole recipe!

DURTHIC

Love all the sausage options.
I'm still available as your official taste tester. Service is free.
Cdn

Carbdodger

noblehead said:

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Just tried it.

It worked well using my bag of porridge oats, (twice the quantity, as I only used 500g of lean mince, and forgot to halve the oats).

Made 6 decent burgers.

Loaded with reduced fat cheddar, and chipotle paste. (Make 12 patties, flatten to a thin half thickness burger, spread one side with chipotle paste, cover with cheese, place another patty on top, press the sides together, and pat into a standard size, and cook as normal)

On a homemade rye flour bun.

Durthic

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
That's the beauty of this recipe, it's essentially a base recipe that you can add extra ingredients to to make it your own. So even changing the whole thing isn't a bad thing!

I'm glad they worked for you Douglas, and loving the way you did them! That sounds really, really nice!

One thing you'll notice about a lot of my recipes is that I keep them very simple. It's an intentional thing as I like tasting the ingredients, and not hiding the meat behind a myriad of complex flavours. More personal choice, and also the fact that my family have to eat a fairly bland diet too. I will try to do some more adventurous recipes though!