Clearviews Ahead for me!

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
Had routine tests and advised I was in the impaired range. Had had numb feet for about 3 years. No family history of diabetes, complacent, assumed my diet was healthy as I ate lots of salads straight from my garden. Drank lots of alcohol.
Six months later told that after FGTT I came in .1 over the limit and was now officially T2 but that was 'good news' as I was entitled to free services and with exercise and diet I could live well. HbA1c was 5.6. Cholesterol 4.4. BP up there at about 156/95. Never asked me about my social drinking.
Booked in with the Educator and Dietician and joined about 12 other newly diagnosed diabetics for a day of learning. Noted the body language of the group. No one wanted to be in this club. Learned that carb foods turned to glucose in the system so sugar was not the only evil. Took home sheets which showed me how to limit my carbs to the equivilant of about 45 gms for breakfast, 30 for lunch, 30 to 45 for dinner with three snacks of up to 15gms each, about 150 gms per day. Exercise brisk walking minimum for 45 mins 5 days a week. Taught how to use my BG meter correctly and to look to keep within 4-6 fasting morning readings and between 4-8 in the day.
Gave up drinking and lost about 3 kgs, followed dieticians advice with no difference and gained back the weight. Morning BGLs were about 6.0-6.2 which I thought was good as it was close to the upper target and my Hb A1c considered wonderful. Asked about my numb feet once again and was sent for nerve conduction tests then the endocrinologist.
He was the rudest man I had met in a while and told me to lose 15 kgs (I reached 93kg and am 174 cms) and 20 cms from my waist, watch his motivational DVD, start taking diabex, restart a statin I did not like and continue the BP medication. Pay attention to diet and 'no carbs'. I explained that I was eating lower GI versions as advised but he said 'No Carbs' and get below 6.0 in the morning.
After 4 weeks I found a book by Dr Sandra Cabot which seemed to subscribe to that. In less than 3 weeks I had lost 3 kgs and returned for the follow up. Endo was bemused but pleased when I told him I followed his advice and told me to come back in 6 months and keep on doing 'it'.
Not happy with medication I searched and found Atkins Diabetes Revolution and the weight fell off..13 kgs. Blood sugars came tumbling down until I was concerned it was getting too low. BP improved and I stopped the statins less than a month in as the side effects were odd. Four months on I had stopped all the medication.
A month ago I returned for my 6 month follow up expecting an argument. He only bucked about my cholesterol which had risen to 5.36 Trig 1.01 Hdl 2.13 and Ldl 2.8 and ordered me on to a new statin, my HbA1C was now 5.5 and he told me I had earned the Gold Star of the Week!!!!.
Then my Bernstein books arrived and my BGLs easily achieved his target of 4.7 + or - 10 % as I understood the process better and the need to maintain low, normal BGLS. Think my increased cholesterol is due to my weight loss but will have new blood results in a week. I want the feeling back in my feet. I have added minerals and vitamins suggested that might assist. Never felt lethargic on low carbs. Apart from increasing my activities I am also a volunteer rural firefighter and have often attended gruelling out of area deployments Loving my WOLFE--way of life for ever!!

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Congratulations clearviews, what a great story!
You're in good company here. If you take a look at the Success Stories thread you'll see lots of similar outcomes from people who have sorted themselves out with varying degrees of support from their health teams.
Hopefully your neuropathy will sort itself out, you've certainly improved the odds :D

All the very best,

fergus

clearviews

Dislikes
While travelling in the UK in 2006 and visiting health care people for an infected toe and having a booster vaccination, both of them asked me if I had diabetes! I told them of course not! What an idea! They were right on the mark as I would have been impaired then. I am an ex-pat but Australia and the UK have reciprocal rights in the health care field so you treat us and we treat you.
By the way I set the time one on this set up for Eastern Standard Time -Australia and Vladivostok and the system says that we are 10 hours ahead when we are really 9.
Having a great time reading mountains of experience and research on this site.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi clearviews.

I wouldn't be too confident in those Reciprocal Rights you mention regarding treatment in the UK and Australia.

In Australia there are apparently conditions which where pre-existing they may not be covered. It needs checking out properly before thinking a UK citizen would get the same treatment as yourself.

I think it was on a Government website that this was mentioned. Looked at it recently for another member.

Ken.

clearviews

Dislikes
Hi Cugila
You might be right about exisiting conditions not being covered. I actually meant for conditions that develop while travelling through each other's countries. My dinky die Aussie husband ended up having a general anaesthetic to remove a sub-cutaneous cyst from the centre of his back which had suddenly become infected about 10 days before we were to leave the UK to head home via Egypt and India. He was treated on the NHS with only cost of antibiotics and dressings required by us to be paid for. My son is currently in and out of the UK as he works in Europe and he has had an ear infection treated no questions asked, but he is travelling on a dual passport thanks to his Mum being a Brit, so that might be another story as well!
My husband had worked for Veterans Affairs Health Research prior to retiring so he was aware of this system, for travellers.
We learned how our Medicare system is trully abused while in Egypt and a tour guide cheerfully told us his father had gone to Australia to have a heart operation done using his cousin's medicare card as it was too expensive to pay for it in his own country!! He never left Australia though as he died here a year later.
Regards Alison

clearviews

Dislikes
So, see bottom of this post for new blood tests!!! HbA1C gets better and better while low carbing and no medication. Cholesterol has some tweaking to do but as it was suggested that while my BGLs are stable and low my LDL figure should not be too much of a worry. I will work it out without taking statins as I cannot see where they have ever done anything for women.

wallycorker

clearviews said:
So, see bottom of this post for new blood tests!!! HbA1C gets better and better while low carbing and no medication. Cholesterol has some tweaking to do but as it was suggested that while my BGLs are stable and low my LDL figure should not be too much of a worry. I will work it out without taking statins as I cannot see where they have ever done anything for women.
Great stuff Clearviews - keep up the good work.

Best Wishes - John