Clever dog saved owner.

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Nice story :). I too have a clever dog...she has me trained to perfection :bored: :bag:

Reactions: 10 people

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders - especially the big black ones!
Fabulous! Makes me want to cry ..they are soo marvellous!

Reactions: 4 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dogs can definitely be life savers: I know someone whose dog alerted her to the fact that she had cancer - he could smell it before she actually had any signs that anything was wrong.

Robbity

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
my oldest girl who was pts last yr used to jump on me if hypo in my sleep, she also would never go near my mum and then one day jumped on her and started nudging her breast...she turned out to have breast cancer, i love my 4 dogs and wouldnt be without them

Reactions: 6 people

Beshlie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Heartwarming story. I have 3 dogs, one Springer and two Cavalier King Charles but if I collapsed I'm not sure if they would help me or wee on me! I hope I never have to find out...

Tar811

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
My dog saved my diabetic mums life also when staying at her house for the weekend. It's due to me published in My Dog magazine in the April edition.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 8 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Beshlie it was a little Cavalier who "diagnosed" cancer in the lady I mentioned in my other post.

I've had six cavaliers over the years and some have been more sensitive to illness or distress than others. One of my previous boys wouldn't move from the bedroom when my husband had pneumonia, and I had to take his dinners up to him! More recently another one became very distressed when I had a very nasty woozy dizzy spell a year or so back and it was quite obvious that he knew something was wrong. When I finally managed to get to bed he never moved from my side all night - something that is not his normal routine at all.

Robbity

Tar811

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
I totally agree as my dog Charlie (on the left) never ever moves when I'm ill, not a millimeter!! He is such a dedicated best friend whenever I'm unwell. He is the doggie hero who saved my mums life.
They are so sensitive and amazing.

Piper

I have two little Yorkies who have saved my life several - maybe even umpteen times.

If I haven't detected a hypo, and am asleep they go for help.
They look for a family member, then at the door- back at the person - back at the door until the person takes the hint that something is wrong.
If all the bedroom doors are closed they scratch on another door and when it is opened they run back to me- bringing the person they have just woke up with them.

It is usually the male Yorkie that does this, but the two of them work together.
The male cannot open doors but the female can- she opens the doors and he goes for help.

I've had a lot of close calls, and thankfully survived thanks to them alerting my family that I am in danger.
Jane

Donkeymad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Many years ago now, I had an Irish Setter that taught himself to alert me when my BM got low, and he would bark until a neighbour came if I passed out. He saved my life and a record o this was written into my Medical Records. Animals are so amazing

Reactions: 6 people

Shellshell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am diabetic and insulin intollerant (it makes me really really sick) and I have a collie who can tell when my insulin levels are too low or too high. He refuses to leave my side when I am ill. The one time he couldn't wake me up he pestered the life out of my partner who was downstairs until he followed him upstairs to me. Nobody taught him to do this he has just instinctivley picked it up. He goes with me everywhere now Duke is my guardian angel

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dictators who positively go out of their way to force misery, tears and fears, upon their countryman's lives.
Politicians who, in dealing with dictators, have a wishbone where a backbone should be.
Man's best friend indeed.

Great post catherinecherub, very interesting.

willie.

Beshlie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Beshlie it was a little Cavalier who "diagnosed" cancer in the lady I mentioned in my other post.

I've had six cavaliers over the years and some have been more sensitive to illness or distress than others. One of my previous boys wouldn't move from the bedroom when my husband had pneumonia, and I had to take his dinners up to him! More recently another one became very distressed when I had a very nasty woozy dizzy spell a year or so back and it was quite obvious that he knew something was wrong. When I finally managed to get to bed he never moved from my side all night - something that is not his normal routine at all.

Robbity

Robbity, I think these little dogs really do connect with us. I have had several Cavaliers from 1981 and all have been with me through various illnesses at different times. I've had several stomach surgeries over the last few years and each time they avoided jumping on me, like they usually do, they just seem to know, bless them.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm resurrecting this thread because I was watching Crufts last night, and saw the section on the Friends for Life finalists - dogs who have been shining examples of beings man's best friends through acts of bravery, medical or moral support, etc. One of this year's finalists is Molls who helps her 11 year old diabetic owner Steven by alerting him to extremes in his blood sugar levels, and has also been trained to fetch his testing kit. If you would like to help Molls on her way to winning you can vote for them by phone - 0844 646 0201. More competition details here and you can watch short videos of the finalists on the channel 4 website here.

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people

sagarg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)