Closed-Loop insulin pump

Pota

Hey all!

Ive been using Omnipod now for about 1-2 months. Im very happy about it. Its alot easier to get control of low bloodsugar since i can turn of the basal, and its great to use when i train (tubeless).

But the thing is, still diabetes management is hard for me. Having problem gaining weight, training ALOT, having super sensitive blood glucose(Example: Eating beef, potatoes, ill inject 2 units.. Starts at 7 mmol, drops to 3 mmol after 2 hours, and after 2 hours+ it rises to 12++, and im not even touching sugar when im down on 3) and beeing so skinny the insertion tube rubs onto my muscles :) Im looking very forward to be able to get my hands on a Closed Loop pump.
I cant wait to finaly be able to eat whatever i want, like pizza, pasta and candy without having to use a huge amout of my time correcting my BG.

Does anyone have any info on those Closed Loop pumps? I cant find much on the internet. But i know they've had some good studies and great experiments on kids.

When can we expect to see it on the market?
Will we be able to eat whatever we want, or does it have limitations?
etc etc

I would love to have some discussion on this, and it would be great if someone had some good articles on this topic.

Best Regards

Thomas

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I just know that they are still in trial stages, but they are not going to be the be all and end all to t1 diabetes...algorithms set in them will never be able to account for differences in the way humans are.. Algorithms that will be used to set up the closed loops will be taken from the humans that have done trials and are now taking place for a few people in their home environments. I think my questions for these closed loop manufacturers would be how do the machines account for 1 person for example being at home all day doing very little activity, and how it could work with the same algorithm for me that never sits down.......

More importantly, I too do a lot of physical work- not exercising as such like bike racing etc, but exercise should not be a problem with a pump. If you going low after food at 2hrs, then your bolus is giving you too much insulin, and you need to give a lower amount, if you are then going up to 12's say then your basals are wrong.

Exercising is so much easier with a pump, you need to fine tune it, but it is manageable... Totally.

Personally, I'm just waiting for the opportunity to get my new Accuchek pump this year when hopefully it will be released in UK.

jopar

Even though they've made some great gains within closed loop systems, I really don't think that they will come a reality they can combine artificial intelligence with the algorithm... So the pump learns and automatically adjusts the algorithm as it goes...

By what you are saying about your control both your basal and bolus are out....

Your basal needs to be adjusted so that it maintains a steady basal rate, then when you exercise or are working, you should set up another profile so that you can makes the necessary decreases in basal deliver to suit.

The only way that you are going to find out if your basal is set correctly is by fasting and testing.

As for you bolus

It sounds as though your insulin is kicking in quicker than your food is adsorbing, so needing to treat a hypo means that once the food starts adsorbing you go high because of a lack of insulin.

So it may be that you need to use either an multi-wave or extended wave setting to better suit the way your body adsorbs food to maintain control

But you do need to sort out your basal first, as once this is done you will be able to see if it's a carb-insulin problem or a delivery of insulin problem, it may be a combination of both

The likely reason you are putting on weight is your are feeding the insulin rather than using insulin to cover your needs, as you can eat things like pizza's etc with a pump if all your settings are correct, you've accurately carb count, know how it adsorbs in the body so you use the correct bolus delivery.