co-codamol metformin does this mean High BG

theonlysbf

After a fruitless search and questions asked I can find no reason why my blood sugar which has been pretty good since diagnoses has gone haywire, with morning levels at 7.9 and evening levels at 9+. Other than the change of drugs brand (change chemists) and taking co codamol 30/500 6 per day for back pain my diet has not changed and I am taking more exercise'

There is nothing I can find on co-codamol affecting metformin and differing brands of Metformin SR I am told should not make any difference. I am beginning to fear the BG test as I know it will be bad news, 2 weeks a go I had an average morning BG level of 5.8 and 2 hours post food of 7.9. Any help/ideas from anyone would be helpful.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi tosbf.

I have just reviewed all your posts and can find nothing about your actual diet other than it has not changed ?

There is a lot of mention about your medications. That's it. Medications are not 'magic bullets' and will not in themselves lower your Bg levels without other changes added as well.

Can you give us an idea of a typical days food intake, breakfast, lunch and dinner. Any snacks as well ? If you have Bg levels for waking, before meals, 2 hrs after meals and before bedtime these would all be helpful.

We can then better advise you in how you can try to lower your Bg levels which as you point out are all high. If the morning one is high this then tends to throw all the rest out during the day.

One other thing is are you taking any other meds, even if not Diabetes related ?

theonlysbf

my diet has not changed from when my HBACI was 7.2, now all of a sudden they have gone haywire", the only changes from then until now are I take 6 x co codamol 500/30 and the chemist gave me bolamyn SR instead of GLUCOPHAGE PR.

By telling me that drugs are not magic bullets, are you assuming I don't understand what the medication does, in fact metformin is an amazing drug. Metformin will lower bg by an average of 2 and protect from heart diease, without other influences.

Having diabetes has been a life changing experince for me, in the months since I found out, I have read a mirad of publications on the subject, just to understand what this does to me. I am fitter and healther than in years.

I was asking the Forum (experts) about drug synergys that was my question, prehaps I posted it in the wrong place.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I give up ??? :(

Attachments

• banghead.gif
    banghead.gif
    904 bytes · Views: 1,482

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
hi theonlysbf

I take co-codamol for lower back and associated leg pain. I find I can manage most days not to use it as the pain comes and goes and is manageable but I do often take co-codamol in the evening and before bed as it helps me sleep, not tossing and turning all night trying to get comfortable.

I cant say I have noticed any difference in bg levels when I take regular doses to when I dont need it for a few days, so I would suspect that your increased bg is down to something else. Of course I am not a doctor but if you just wanted another users input there it is. :)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
You say you have changed your brand of Metformin, the generics are all meant to be the same as the branded pills, but there has been mention of difficulties before. Try asking your pharmacist and doctor to give you the ones you had before and see if that fixes the problem. Also look up on drug interactions websites if your drugs are interfering with one another. Your pharmacist has this software and should be able to warn you.

theonlysbf

Hi Finally run out of generic Metformin Bolamyn SR, gone back on GLUCOPHAGE PR BG has gone back to normal in 3 days mid 5 in the morning and mid 7, 2 hrs after meals, maybe psychological maybe physiological who knows? something I do know is I Absolutely hate being a Diabetic the control it has over me drives me mad. :x

When I was a child my mum used to say to me as I stuffed sweets "you'll get sugar diabetes" now as a diagnosed nearly 50 year old I hear those words so loudly it hurts "sorry mum I should have listened" :cry:

dragongirl

My take on it is that we all did the best we could at the age we were - absolutely no point in whipping ourselves years later for not having had the understanding we have now! That way lies misery - and misery affects our hormones and blood sugar.

I'm glad the correct brand is getting things back to normal - you must be relieved about that - and if you want to feel diabetes has less control over you (so you don't have to feel "hate" so much!) try lowering your carb intake to whatever degree suits you and see if the numbers improve sufficiently to make you feel you have the better of it. And if you don't want to, that's also fine. Just don't let that writing on the wall (your mum's words) have a say in your life now. It was probably her genes not the sugar anyway!
DG