Co-codamol

G

graj0

Having had two arthritic knees for years, sciatica for years, and muscular spasms in my back for years, I thought I had used over the counter cocodomol sensibly for that time. Recently, five weeks ago to be exact, I had my left knee replaced and although my left knee is pain free, the muscular pain where they tourniquet the thigh and the back pain is more intense than than anything I have experienced in all those years. So, prescription cocodomol (30 mg codeine rather than 12 mg or 8 mg) was necessary although 100 tablets at 4 tablets a day doesn't last anything like the 60 days between prescriptions. I say necessary because you have to be able to do the physiotherapy which is impossible if you're in any discomfort. Unfortunately my 100 tablets only lasted 35 days so I thought I'd just buy some over the counter stuff.

You'd think I was trying to buy a class 'A' drug the way Sainsbury and Boots pharmacies have treated me, neither willing to sell me any cocodomol despite it being obvious that I've had a knee replacement, I can show them the scar. In fact I think it's easier to buy medicinal cannabis if only . . . . . . . . . Sainsbury wouldn't sell them and Boots palmed me off with paracetamol which I'm so angry about I will take back because they just don't hack it.

I know the whole story about addiction, but what are people in pain meant to do, just put up with it? I suppose I could just lay on the bed all the time and do nothing, I might starve to death. What do other people do for pain relief?

BTW, my wife bought some on her way home from work without any issues, maybe I look like I'm using them as a precursor for some opioid based concoction.

Reactions: 2 people
C

catherinecherub

Codeine
Codeine doesn’t work very well on its own. It works better when combined with paracetamol in a single pill. You can buy co-codamol (paracetamol and low-dose codeine) over the counter. Higher dose codeine has to be prescribed

All these painkillers can cause dependency, which means that when you stop taking them you may feel unwell for a short period. If you need more and more of these drugs, contact your GP or other healthcare professional for advice.
http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Pain/Pages/Whichpainkiller.aspx

If you need more than prescribed then you really need to talk it over with your G.P. He may prescribe something else.

Reactions: 6 people

mdsremos

Can you not ask your gp for a repeat prescription? My hubby had spinal problem which ended in spinal fusion last tear but still takes cocodamol from the GP on a repeat basis

Lou73

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have Zapain (co-codamol) on repeat prescription, along with Tramadol due to Rheumatoid arthritis. I had to carry the prescription with me to Greece as it is seen as a drug there.

G

graj0

Can you not ask your gp for a repeat prescription? My hubby had spinal problem which ended in spinal fusion last tear but still takes cocodamol from the GP on a repeat basis
The problem was that the stronger cocodomol (30/500) has never been on repeat which is fair enough, no problems there, it just means that I have to see the GP first and you can guess when I will get the chance to see her . . . . . . next week sometime. That is why I just wanted some over the counter stuff (8/500 or 12/500). I think my real whinge is that I felt like I was being treated like an idiot, I'm not taking them for fun and I do need something otherwise the physio doesn't get done with the same intensity, basically because it hurts and the body will only allow so much before your head tells it "OK, I'll give it a rest now".
The other thing is that I've now forked out for paracetamol which is as much use as a chocolate teapot, really not fit for purpose when it comes to the fairly intense back pains.
I'm more than happy with my new knee, but it's really quite weird how you end up using slightly different muscles because you're not protecting the knee joint anymore. Even the sciatica which I get on the other side is a lot calmer and hasn't really flared up since the operation whereas I was having to see the chiropractor every week, or take cocodomol, depending on money.
Onwards and upwards, I will be seeing the GP and having a frank discussion about pain management while I'm trying to do the physio and basically get around on a day to day basis. I'm trying to be as independent as possible and not become a permanent patient, I'd be out of luck anyway, my wife does not do, and I have never expected, being waited on. I still do the shopping and the cooking etc.

Reactions: 3 people

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I think my real whinge is that I felt like I was being treated like an idiot, I'm not taking them for fun and I do need something.
My husband has the same problem - both the osteo arthritis and difficulty getting cocodamol from well-meaning pharmacists who come across as interfering and patronising. Our GP won't give this kind of painkiller on repeat prescription, and it feels too silly to make a distant appointment to see a GP to tell him the osteo arthritis still hurts and paracetamol still doesn't stop the pain. The other helpful suggestion the pharmacists almost always make is that ibuprofen will work better as it's also anti-inflammatory. This is the pharmacy that dispenses his warfarin with its solemn warnings against taking NSAIDs. They've also recommended TENS - which turns out to be contra-indicated for anyone with an implanted defibrillator (the reason my husband's on warfarin in the first place). I do feel your frustration - though not, luckily for me, your pain :(

Kate

Reactions: 6 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never had any probelms in getting Co-codamol from local pharmacies and Tesco etc. Yes, they sometimes ask whether I've used it before and understand it and it's never been a problem. The 8/500 version is hardly going to make you addicted unless you are stupid. In New Zealand we bought the 30/500 variety over the counter! In the USA of course Codeine is banned so it's a lottery

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Having had two arthritic knees for years, sciatica for years, and muscular spasms in my back for years, I thought I had used over the counter cocodomol sensibly for that time. Recently, five weeks ago to be exact, I had my left knee replaced and although my left knee is pain free, the muscular pain where they tourniquet the thigh and the back pain is more intense than than anything I have experienced in all those years. So, prescription cocodomol (30 mg codeine rather than 12 mg or 8 mg) was necessary although 100 tablets at 4 tablets a day doesn't last anything like the 60 days between prescriptions. I say necessary because you have to be able to do the physiotherapy which is impossible if you're in any discomfort. Unfortunately my 100 tablets only lasted 35 days so I thought I'd just buy some over the counter stuff.

You'd think I was trying to buy a class 'A' drug the way Sainsbury and Boots pharmacies have treated me, neither willing to sell me any cocodomol despite it being obvious that I've had a knee replacement, I can show them the scar. In fact I think it's easier to buy medicinal cannabis if only . . . . . . . . . Sainsbury wouldn't sell them and Boots palmed me off with paracetamol which I'm so angry about I will take back because they just don't hack it.

I know the whole story about addiction, but what are people in pain meant to do, just put up with it? I suppose I could just lay on the bed all the time and do nothing, I might starve to death. What do other people do for pain relief?

BTW, my wife bought some on her way home from work without any issues, maybe I look like I'm using them as a precursor for some opioid based concoction.

Morning, I worked in a Pharmacy 2 years ago and regarding these drugs there are strict guide lines for the use of. They are seen as addictive and when a customer asked for these over the counter medication's, the customer had to be told of the 3 days limit and I had to visibily show the packet to the pharmacist.
It's for the customer/patients safety and also the pharmacy or chemist.
Tramadol is a controlled drug. The first time i had a prescription for this was in September when I had my cast removed at the hospital. I took the prescription to the hospital phatmacy, in considerable pain and upset. The consulstant filled the script in incorrectly, I was then told I needed to go back to fracture clinic and get another script filled in properly, then I had to do take it back again and then wait nearly an hour before it was made up, also the script for a controlled drug has to be signed in a secial box by the patient, a nightmare, I was like a simmering volcano, on my own, in pain, bewildered by what was happening to me and then just sent away, so I fully understand peoples frustrations.
Our local pharmacy used to supply 'free' needles and other items to users, you just can't tell who is dependant. One guy had a mother who is a pharmacist :wideyed: and another guy used to come in after work at the end of the week for items and he was a scaffolder :eek: So as the saying goes, never tell a book by it's
cover. It's always the genuine people who seem to get hit the hardest.

Best wishes and a Happy new year to you all,

RRB

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
I've been on Codeine Phosphate 30mg (alone not in combination with Paracetamol) for years now. I take it along with Immodium Syrup for bowel problems. GPs are reluctant to put it on repeat as it does have addiction potential and can cause constipation. I keep my dose to a minimum of 2 a day as I felt 8 was too much and didn't want to rely on them too much. As for OTC co-codamol you should not have a problem getting it, I haven't been asked once why I am asking for it, just answer questions with my GP told me to buy it as it is cheaper than prescription tax.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
RRB. I have had Tramadol before and it was just a plain script. I don't think it is a Schedule 2 drug and does not require a handwritten script. However post surgery I was discharged with OxyNorm (Oxycodone 10mg) which is a controlled drug and had a Controlled Drugs Prescription Form on discharge and is hand written.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The prescription was obviously hand written by the consultant I had just seen, he filled it in incorrectly ( not enough information) so I had to take it back to get another one filled out correctly by another consultant. I was told by the in house pharmacy assistant it is a controlled drug, and I had to sign for it, in a small box, possibly top right of form?, if my memory serves me well. Tramadol made me so ill, vomiting and even one every 6 hours was not enough for the pain, but even that amount still made me ill. I was then prescribed something else, but in the end I stopped both and disposed of them.

Edited with new information :-

Medicines Update
Tramadol and changes to Controlled Drug Legislation
header-postscript.gif

Tramadol to be a Schedule 3 Controlled Drug
The Home Office has announced changes to CD classification for a number of drugs which should be implemented from 10th June 2014. More detailed information on the practical implications will follow when the date of the change is confirmed.

Tramadol is a synthetic analogue of codeine and, like other opioids, can be liable to misuse. The Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs recommended that tramadol should be re-classified as a Class C Schedule 3 drug; prompted by increasing reports of misuse and harm. Of the 581 drug related deaths in Scotland in 2012, tramadol was present or implicated as a contributory factor to the death in 48 cases.

Although safe storage and register keeping will not be required, tramadol will need the full CD prescription writing requirements including the quantity in both words and figures. Prescriptions will only be valid for 28 days. Work is ongoing in the acute service to understand changes required to ordering procedures.

Tramadol has a unique dual-action, pharmacological profile. Its analgesic action results mainly from its agonist effects at opioid receptors with an added influence from its inhibition of the re-uptake of serotonin and noradrenaline. This dual mechanism increases the potential for adverse effects, especially in overdose.

Tramadol overdose results in drowsiness, constricted pupils, agitation, tachycardia, hypertension and nausea, vomiting and sweating. Seizures occur in up to 15% of cases; this is more common than with other opioids. In severe poisoning coma, seizures and hypotension can occur. Overdose can also cause serotonin syndrome which is potentially fatal.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
RRB, we are both right, Tramadol is a Schedule 3 drug and requires 2 signatures to dispense and can be handwritten or printed. I was talking about Schedule 2 drugs that can be only filled out by hand, such drugs as Morphine, Methadone, Oxycodone and Dexamphetamine. Hope this clarifies things

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I am never taking Tramadol again for anything, such awful side affects :(

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I am never taking Tramadol again for anything, such awful side affects :(
Yip, makes ya sick. Just reading up on CDs and you are right RRB, things have changed re Scedule 3 drugs and as I am wrong my hands are being put up and a handwritten apology issued lol.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The problem was that the stronger cocodomol (30/500) has never been on repeat which is fair enough, no problems there, it just means that I have to see the GP first and you can guess when I will get the chance to see her . . . . . . next week sometime. That is why I just wanted some over the counter stuff (8/500 or 12/500). I think my real whinge is that I felt like I was being treated like an idiot, I'm not taking them for fun and I do need something otherwise the physio doesn't get done with the same intensity, basically because it hurts and the body will only allow so much before your head tells it "OK, I'll give it a rest now".
The other thing is that I've now forked out for paracetamol which is as much use as a chocolate teapot, really not fit for purpose when it comes to the fairly intense back pains.
I'm more than happy with my new knee, but it's really quite weird how you end up using slightly different muscles because you're not protecting the knee joint anymore. Even the sciatica which I get on the other side is a lot calmer and hasn't really flared up since the operation whereas I was having to see the chiropractor every week, or take cocodomol, depending on money.
Onwards and upwards, I will be seeing the GP and having a frank discussion about pain management while I'm trying to do the physio and basically get around on a day to day basis. I'm trying to be as independent as possible and not become a permanent patient, I'd be out of luck anyway, my wife does not do, and I have never expected, being waited on. I still do the shopping and the cooking etc.
I can appreciate your frustration at not being able to see a doctor, but couldn't this be dealt with by phone? Your records will indicate a clinical need, and what will they examine when they see you?

We have a small, but comprehensive stock of prescription drugs in our blue water firs aid kit, which is almost always dealt with by phone, or indeed this time, by me dropping a note into the surgery. I asked for replacement antibiotics, as Mr B had used the broad spectrum for a flare up of a pre-existing condition. As no diagnosis or examination was appropriate now, I really didn't want to take up a valuable appointment.

My script was waiting for me yesterday, having been prepared the day I dropped the note off.

I may be fortunate in that our GP is also an ocean sailor, so understands what can go wrong a long way from home/land.

(In this instance, prescriptions are "private", so nothing dodging on.)

Perhaps worth setting up some form of "what if" plan when you see the quack!

loulou99782

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am on Tramadol 50mg two capsules twice a day for muscle pain connected to my genetic disorder. If i get a really bad flare up i go on to dihydrcondine both of these are now condroled drugs and like RRB says you have too sign at the top of prescription. The only side affects i get is the occasional constitution which is stopped by senna at night.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I am on Tramadol 50mg two capsules twice a day for muscle pain connected to my genetic disorder. If i get a really bad flare up i go on to dihydrcondine both of these are now condroled drugs and like RRB says you have too sign at the top of prescription. The only side affects i get is the occasional constitution which is stopped by senna at night.

Ahhh you seem to cope with it better then, I have never felt so ill, with constant vomiting and feeling like death on top of the complications that set in, a horrible time, but ditched the Tramadol when I had to miss an eye appointment in Southampton, in October. Vomited the night before and twice on the morning of eye appointment, couldn't go as it's a train journey, then a bus :eek: :arghh:

Best wishes RRB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yip, makes ya sick. Just reading up on CDs and you are right RRB, things have changed re Scedule 3 drugs and as I am wrong my hands are being put up and a handwritten apology issued lol.

Thank you for your message, no problems eddie :)

RRB :)

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you for your message, no problems eddie :)

RRB :)
Ta. I now know the new prescribing protocol. No problem either. I am a dunce lol great start to 2015

Lorraine deer

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Big crowds
Osteoarthritis , I've had my left knee done two years and I've been taking 8 x 30/500 cocodomol waiting for right knee op which was due end of February because of cut backs I've been out on hold. Pain and lack of sleep has upset my bs , I can't go for a walk with my knee and hip so stiff. Getting stronger pain killers from my gp is like asking for the Crown Jewels

Reactions: 4 people