1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Privacy is important: just a reminder that your posts can be seen by members of the public Guest.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

cocoa powder

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by amanda19640, Nov 22, 2015.

1. amanda19640

amanda19640 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me where I can buy unsweetened cocoa powder as normal stuff has quite a few carbs?

• Like Like x 3
  2. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Most I have seen online seem to have 25-50g of carbs per 100g. But Callebaut Cocoa Powder (on Amazon for £10.99 a kilo) has 13g of carbs (0.4g sugar) per 100g.

• Like Like x 3
  3. I use Cadbury Fair Trade Bourneville Cocoa at 14g carbs per 100g. The red tin. Available everywhere.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Celeriac

Celeriac Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have Green & Black's organic cocoa 125g tub, which is 12.5g carbs per 100g, of which 0.4g is sugars and there's no added sugar.

They sell it in Sainsbury's, Ocado, (currently on offer at 1.76), Tesco, Morrisons and Waitrose. Unless on offer, Morrisons sells it generally around a few pence cheaper.

It's really good, just make sure you buy the cocoa not the hot chocolate because if in a hurry you could pick up the hot chocolate instead.

For anyone in the USA. I recommend the Hershey's 100% natural unsweetened cocoa too. Before I found Green & Black's I used to buy that.

• Like Like x 6
  5. Are you sure of those numbers? The G&B one in my supermarket was higher than the Cadburys when I compared them? :confused: I may be missing a trick.

6. Celeriac

• Like Like x 2
  7. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

But what does it actually say on the tin?? :D I'll go and check on mine in a minute...

Robbity

ETA: 19 g carbs of which 0g sugars, and Tesco says 1 teaspoonful is 4g weight, which is 0.76g carbs. so pretty trivial unless you add milk and sugar....

• Like Like x 2
    #8 Robbity, Nov 22, 2015 at 6:51 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2015
  8. Cheers, missus :)

9. Chook

Chook Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Okay, I lurve hot choc but I haven't worked out how to make it without milk which spikes me. So I haven't had any since I started LCMF. :( Any ideas?

10. ewelina

ewelina Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Mix cream with water and add cocoa and sweetener.

11. ewelina

ewelina Type 1 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  12. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Have a look in Lidl if you have one they have cocoa which is 8.8 carbs per 100 grams it's called Belbake. As you only need 5gms in weight for a drink it wont cause a problem.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Charisma_1630

Charisma_1630 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I actually saw a green & blacks hot choc in sainsburys the other day which seemed to have more sugar that the g&b cocoa powder I usually get so be sure you're getting the right one!

• Like Like x 2
  14. Celeriac

The info that is given on the website @ewelina linked to is the same as that given on Green and Black's current product info. After the info given on Tesco's website, it has Tesco copyright 2013 so I would suggest that the info has been updated by Green & Black's and not by Tesco.

If I see discrepancies, I always assume that the product's manufacturer knows the product better and that supermarkets don't update info often. After all, it costs them money to do it.

I like hazelnut milk with my cocoa, it tastes like praline. :)

• Like Like x 6
  15. Prem51

Morrisons have the G&B Cocoa on offer at £1.73. Their website shows the carbs as 19g per 100g, with 0g sugar. I am going there shortly and will check the tin.

16. amanda19640

amanda19640 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I was very disappointed with morrisons on Sunday website said it had all sorts on offer including coconut oil and when arrived there was nothing, said all stores don't have so id check first if ur making a special trip

17. Prem51

Hi @amanda19640 I did go to Morrisons, not a special trip, I usually go there once a week and I had to pick up a shirt I ordered online from the Debenhams nearby. And I buy some onion bhajis from an Indian snack shop near there.

Anyway I checked the Green & Blacks Cocoa powder. It was on offer at £1.73, but the tin does show 19g carbs per 100g. So it seems the Morrisons site is correct, and it is the G&B site which hasn't been updated.
    I bought the Morrisons Cocoa which was £1.90 for a 250g pack. The nutrition info shows 11.5g carbohydrates per 100g, and 0g of sugar, well just trace.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I make my cocoa drink in my Tassimo machine by mixing Green and Black's powder with a little milk then using one Tassimo milk pod and top up with hot water and Zylitol sweetener

19. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Just a supermarket generic unsweetened cheap one, I think bought in the cooking aisle rather than drinks aisle.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook