Coconut flour

Angela(NZ)

Dislikes
liars
Hi All

Have just bought some Coconut Flour as have heard its low carb and healthy - however not sure what to do with it? does anyone have any good recipes or can point me in the right direction on here for recipes?

Thanks! :D

WhitbyJet

Hi Angela, Here are my mosr favourite cocnut flour recipes, they all work very well, over the years I have baked them all. Always a hit with family, friends and village fetes and coffee mornings, at work, parties, etc, people are asking specifically for THAT cake again, moat people cannot believe that these are made with coconut flour. Always make sure that you mix ingre dients really well, that there are no lumps left, they taste horrible. Always substitute sugar with sweetener, I prefer baking
with Zsweet = erythritol.

Lemon Lime Cake

1 Lemon (+ juice of another lemon)
1 Lime
6 Eggs
1/2 cup xylitol or sweetener of your choice
150 g Butter - melted
3/4 cup Coconut Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder

In processor whizz up lemon, lime and juice. Add eggs and xylitol.
Mix butter, egg mix and sifted flour and baking powder.
Pour into a ring tin
Bake at 170 for 25 - 30 minutes
Cool on rack

Notes
* Sweetner is equivalent to 1 cup sugar
* Make sure the coconut flour is well mixed - leave no lumps as these will taste revolting when cooked.
* When I made this in a loaf tin it took at least 40 minutes to bake.

Frosting

75 g Cream Cheese
2 Tbl Water
Lemon Juice - to taste
sweetener - to taste
2 - 3 Tbsp double cream

Beat cream cheese, water, juice and sweetner till light and smooth. Mix in cream. Ice cake.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/coconut- ... z1xOrkrvET

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/breads ... uffins.htm

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.ticklemysweettooth.com/blog/ ... onut-flour

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.squidoo.com/living-low-carb- ... onut-flour

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/cakes/ ... utcake.htm

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.nourishingdays.com/2009/03/c ... ng-gfcf-2/

I have made this cake a few times for coffee mornings, swap the honey for sweetener, increase the coconut milk and omit the orange juice, use orange flavouring instead

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2010/0 ... -free.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the low carb version of the Russian Pluck Cake (you've probab;y eaten the non-lowcarb version of Russian Pluck Cake in places like Starbucks, Costa, etc) - I am certain that this recipe wont disappoint.

I have made this cake for a recent village fete and people asked for the recipe!

Mix together 120g melted butter 100g ground almonds 100g ground hazelnuts 80g coconut flour, 20g cocoa powder and sweetener to taste (the non-lowcarb version would have 200g sugar, so its very sweet, use sweetener according to your taste).
Grease and line a springform tin, then use two thirds of the pastry to cover the base and bring it up on the sides of the tin, press it on slightly.
For the filling:
4 eggs, separated - beat egg whites until very stiff. Mix the egg yolks with 750g cottage or cream cheese, mix one packet of gelatine crystals or use gelatine leaves (enough for 500ml of liquid), add sweetener to taste (it would be 150g sugar) and vanilla extract/essence. Fold in egg whites and spread mixture into your pastry case.
Add a little bit of double cream to the remaining third of the pastry and place in blotches on top of the filling.
Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for 50 minutes, let it cool in the oven.
The cake rises inside the oven, but will collapse when cooled, just like it looks in the photo.
You will get 12 slices at 4.8 carbs each.
---------------------------------------------
Lemon Meringue Pie - Low Carb
Ingredients:
Pastry
1.5 cups coconut flour
1.5 cups almond flour
125 g butter
2-4 tablespoons water (depends on how you like dough)
1 egg yolk
a little sweetener

Lemon Cream
125g butter
1 lemon
1 lime
sweetener (taste the mixture to adjust to sweetness you like)
3 egg yolks
vanilla essence/extract

Meringue
4 egg whites
1 cup sweetener
pinch of cream of tartar

Mix all pastry ingredients, knead thoroughly, then line a suitable pie dish/flan tin. Bake at 175 ° 5-10 minutes until it is golden brown. Remove from the oven.

Melt butter on low heat, add sweetener and vanilla in a saucepan. Squeeze the juice from the lemon and lime, add to the pan, stir thoroughly, then add the egg yolks, one at a time whisking as you do so, continue to whisk until the mixture thickens. Pour the lemon cream into the pastry shell.

Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks, add sweetener and cream of tartar, whisk until egg whites are stiff and glossy. Spread the meringue over the pie and bake for around 30 minutes until golden brown. Keep checking the colour as ovens vary.

If you find that you have too much meringue to place on top of the pie, you could make a couple of meringue nests and bake them along at the same time, fill them with cream, add a few berries or sliced kiwi or mandarin segments and you have another dessert for the next day.

http://www.lchfrecept.com/ShowRecepy.aspx?ID=1279
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ingredients:
4 eggs
200g cream cheese/Philadelphia
100g butter
100g dark chocolate (70%)
Flaked almonds or any nuts
(1 tsp vanilla flavoring)

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
Grease a springform with a little butter.
Melt butter, break chocolate into pieces and stir until melted, dont overheat or else you get a grainy mixture. Beat eggs until fluffy, add the cream cheese, a little at a time, beating well after each addition.
Using a spatula stir in the chocolate butter mix, stir well.
Pour batter into springform tin and sprinkle with nuts. Bake on the middle shelf for 15 - 20 minutes.

Super good to eaten warm with whipped cream however boss just polished off another slice cold as we speak and still enjoyed it.
http://www.lchfrecept.com/ShowRecepy.aspx?ID=1267
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Budapest Roulade (Roll)
ingredients:
6 egg whites
3 tablespoons Splenda or similar
0.5 cup coconut flour
1 cup hazelnut flour (very finely ground so they resemble flour)
1 cup finely chopped hazelnuts

filling
2.5 cups whipped cream
2-3 cups raspberries or other berries, can be frozen, but drain off excess liquid

Garnish little melted dark chocolate

Preheat the oven to 175 degrees.
Whip the egg whites and Splenda until very stiff.
Mix coconut flour, the chopped nuts and hazelnut flour. Gently fold the egg white into the dry mix..
Spread the batter on a lined swiss roll tin. Bake in middle of oven for about 15 min.
Turn out onto a new sheet of baking parchment. Remove the paper from the top of the cake and let it cool.
Whip the cream, mix with fresh or semi-thawed frozen raspberries, add a little Splenda if its too tart for you and spread over cake. Roll up like a Swiss roll, gently. Garnish with drizzle a little melted chocolate over the cake.

A tip:

Cover the cake with a damp tea towel and then roll up everything (towels included) quickly and let it all cool down, when completely cool unroll, spread on filling and then using the baking parchment underneath the cake carefully roll up into a Swiss roll.
By using this damp tea towel the cake wont crack quite as much.
Here is the picture for you
http://www.lchfrecept.com/ShowRecepy.aspx?ID=1155
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ehlana

Baked the Lemon and lime cake with coconut flour WhitbyJet and it is amazing. Surprised how light it came out with all those eggs.

Interestingly, a small slice can keep me full for hours and the OH likes it too - result all round, thanks for the recipe.

I am going to hunt out some more recipes - anyone know one for chocolate brownies as these are my OH's favourite.

tree-peony

these little cupcakes/muffins are my lifesaver. You can tart them up anyway you like (a frosting of cream philly/cinnamon and a bit of splenda is lovely, but I also like them plain as a "every day" sort of treat. The recipe I found claims they're 1.5g carb each.

85g butter
1/2 cup splenda (I use just slightly under the full amount)

blend together then add 2 large eggs and beat until smooth and light. add some vanilla paste/extract and 1/4 cup milk (or almond/coconut/lactose free)

mix separately
3/4 cup ground almonds
1/4 cup coconut flour
pinch salt
1 teasp baking powder

and fold into the mixture until well incorporated.

makes about 9 muffins (either in a muffin tin or little paper cases). bake at 180 degrees for 20 mins.

I CAN still taste the Splenda, but it's not too bad if I reduce the amount slightly and still sweet enough to be satisfying :)

Ehlana

Hi Tree-peony,

Sounds like a good recipe - I will give that a try. I have successfully baked brownies and blueberry muffins as well.

Next step is some home made protein bars. I was buying them, but unconvinced about what goes in them and spiking my sugar levels.

Any recipes for home made protein bars would gratefully be received.

cuillie

Dislikes
Too numerous to mention
Angela(NZ) said:
Hi All

Have just bought some Coconut Flour as have heard its low carb and healthy - however not sure what to do with it? does anyone have any good recipes or can point me in the right direction on here for recipes?

Thanks! :D
Where abouts would you buy coconut flour of even almond flour for that matter? I see them mentioned quite a lot here but I haven't found any
Kate

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
How lo-carb is coconut flour? Anyone tried making bread/wraps with it?

And is it really flour? Or is it kinda coarse, line almond flour/ground almonds?

Ehlana

Patch - Coconut flour is very fine, and a little goes a long way. I bought a 500g bag from amazon branded Tiana - I now know you can buy it from Holland and Barratt for the same price. It can be a little gritty in texture but if you mix things well that seems to help.

3 cakes and one tray of brownies later I still have over half a bag left so I think it is good value for money and I don't get any sugar spikes. If you want more details I found http://www.tiana-coconut.com very useful.

Yes there is a bread recipe on there but I haven't tried it.

Grazer

Ehlana said:
Patch - Coconut flour is very fine, and a little goes a long way. I bought a 500g bag from amazon branded Tiana - I now know you can buy it from Holland and Barratt for the same price. It can be a little gritty in texture but if you mix things well that seems to help.

3 cakes and one tray of brownies later I still have over half a bag left so I think it is good value for money and I don't get any sugar spikes. If you want more details I found http://www.tiana-coconut.com very useful.

Hi Ehlana. The website seems to suggest you mix it with normal flour - is this right, or can you use it straight to keep the carbs down? And can you make wraps with it?
Cheers!

WhitbyJet

spinningwoman said:
Has anyone got a Yorkshire pudding recipe? It is the one thing we really miss.

Dont despair, you can buy Carbalose flour (I dont like it because its too chemical for me) and make a Yorkshire pudding with that or there is an Atkins recipe for a low carb Yorkshire pudding, I havent tried it but a friend tells me its very good

Atkins Low Carb Yorkshire Pudding
Serves: 9
Calories: 137
Net Carbs: 2.5 g
Protein: 7.0 g
Fat: 11.0 g
Ingredients

Ingredients A:

1/2 cup soya powder
1/4 cup wheat gluten
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
3 eggs
1 cup (240ml) whole milk
Ingredient B:

1/3 cup beef drippings (fats collected from cooking beef)
Directions

Preheat oven to 450°F/230°C.
Put ingredients A in a bowl and whisk until well blended.
In an 8” square baking dish, pour in ingredient B. Then, put in the middle rack of the preheated oven for 5 minutes, until smoke starts to come out.
Pour in the batter and bake for about 15 minutes.
Then, reduce oven temperature 350°F/175°C and continue to bake for another 20 minutes, until pudding becomes lightly browned.
Best serve while still hot.

WhitbyJet

Grazer said:
Ehlana said:

Hi Ehlana. The website seems to suggest you mix it with normal flour - is this right, or can you use it straight to keep the carbs down? And can you make wraps with it?
Cheers!

Yes you can make wraps with coconutflour, I make them all the time, recipe here
http://www.freecoconutrecipes.com/index ... -tortillas

spinningwoman

Re carbalose yorkshires: anytime I've tried recipes that include baking powder I get something with a muffiny texture rather than that 'empty in the middle' Yorkshire texture. I bought some carbalose a year or do back but never got round to using it - I wonder if it is still in the cupboard?

You've definitely inspired me to try the coconut flour again. I was a bit disappointed because the recipe book that came with mine used sugar in everything so I was never very confident it would work without. I think it's still in the cupboard somewhere if it hasn't gone off!

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Candice has protein bars on her excellent site.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Re: yorkshire puddings - I once made toad in the hole using a batter mix made from eggs and cream cheese... Mix 'em really well, whack 'em in the oven.

Also works for pretty nice pancakes...

spinningwoman

Just made the almond coconut muffins and they are indeed yummy despite the ground almonds being best before nov 2010 and I didn't even check the coconut flour<g>. They have a much finer texture than made just with ground almonds and seem moister. I ate three on the trot so we'll see what effect that has on my BS!

spinningwoman

5.2 after an hour, even having eaten three. I just checked the date on the coconut flour and embarrassingly it is march 2010, but it tasted fine.

I've just tried the carbalose in my usual Yorkshire recipe and they didn't rise very much but with gravy would probably be ok. It doesn't seem to be very low in carbs though, just lower.