1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Coconut oil

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by pixor, Sep 8, 2011.

1. pixor

pixor · Active Member

I've read a lot of enthusiasm from some people about including coconut oil in their diet to help their diabetes, but no links to studies or evidence.

Does anyone know of any?

2. WhitbyJet

WhitbyJet · Well-Known Member

pixor - my family and I have taken a daily dose of coconut oil for the past 2 years, it seems to have helped to strengthen our immune system, 2 winters without suffering colds, coughs, sore throats.
    Husband and I have good lipids, not taking statins. I am the diabetic one in the family.

I dont cook with coconut oil, we take it pure, straight off the spoon.

http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/research-link.htm

http://healthimpactnews.com/2011/new-st ... lammation/

http://www.sia-hq.com/articles/The-Late ... oconut-Oil

http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/index. ... 2&Itemid=8

3. IanD

IanD Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I use coconut powder (62% fat) with ground almonds as a flour for low car bread & cake.

4. hallii

hallii · Well-Known Member

I tried the stuff, I can't stand the taste. The stuff I got is "Parachute" brand, it sets like concrete in the fridge.

Most Indian grocers will sell it, but there are pure and not so pure oils. Parachute is said to be one of the good ones.

H

5. pianoman

pianoman · Well-Known Member

No need to keep it in the fridge... it is very stable at room temperature and high cooking temperatures as well.

6. Helenababe

Helenababe · Well-Known Member

Hi Pixor,

I've been looking on quite a few low carb recipe sites getting ideas for Christmas, and the Americans use coconut oil alot, and they said it was good for moistening homemade low carb cakes and choc treats etc.

One woman said she since she'd started using it regularly, her sugar levels had improved, and she lost some weight. I've never tried it, but I am going to at Christmas.

Helena.

7. Etty

Etty Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I don't use the oil much, it's so expensive. But dessicated coconut, soaked in water for a bit, is great in curries, if you like the taste. It's also good blitzed as part of a crumble mixture with nuts.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook