Coconut Oil

learning2me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had never heard of this before joining the forum - tended to use a small amount of honey, or some Splenda.

Why is Coconut Oil better and where is best to buy it please?

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya. Coconut oil is a cooking oil, not a sweetener. It's expensive but healthy. I use the steamed version which has no taste of coconut. You can get it in health food shops or posh shelves in supermarkets or online.

learning2me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you - I was confused as I just read a post about adding it to porridge!

Reactions: 2 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes well, you can, if you eat porridge. The idea is to delay the sugar in the oats from sending your blood sugar up too high too fast. Not generally advised if you're still unsure about what you can eat.

jgordon5

Had never heard of this before joining the forum - tended to use a small amount of honey, or some Splenda.

Why is Coconut Oil better and where is best to buy it please?
Organic Stevia is a good sweetener. You can get commercial brands of stevia in some supermarkets and health food shops but I haven't looked into the healthiness of the extraction process for commercial brands or whether they use unhealthy additives.. I buy organic Stevia powder online and it's fine in baking (although it does give a slightly green tinge if you use a lot) but it's an acquired taste in some hot drinks. I've grown to like it.

You can get organic coconut sugar which is a really gorgeous sweetener and smells/tastes a bit like demerara sugar. In a 4g serving, approx 1tspn, there are:

15kcal
0 fat
0 cholesterol
9mg sodium
4mg total carbohydratw
0 protein

It's low GI and high in magnesium, potassium, zinc, iron and b vitamins. The brand I use is Coconom organic coconut sugar. Yum!

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Organic Stevia is a good sweetener. You can get commercial brands of stevia in some supermarkets and health food shops but I haven't looked into the healthiness of the extraction process for commercial brands or whether they use unhealthy additives.. I buy organic Stevia powder online and it's fine in baking (although it does give a slightly green tinge if you use a lot) but it's an acquired taste in some hot drinks. I've grown to like it.

You can get organic coconut sugar which is a really gorgeous sweetener and smells/tastes a bit like demerara sugar. In a 4g serving, approx 1tspn, there are:

15kcal
0 fat
0 cholesterol
9mg sodium
4mg total carbohydratw
0 protein

It's low GI and high in magnesium, potassium, zinc, iron and b vitamins. The brand I use is Coconom organic coconut sugar. Yum!
Excellent, you answered the main question I've just realised!
I use xylitol, which is poisonous to dogs. I haven't got one.
There was a debate on here a few years ago about coconut sugar. The general view seems to be try it and test carefully.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/coconut-sugar.28328/

jgordon5

Thank you - I was confused as I just read a post about adding it to porridge!
It's nice with porridge and it slows the absorption of the oats. I use it a lot like that - £7.99 for 400g jar of Biona organic coconut oil, which lasts a long time, it's a big jar. You can tell I go for organic ! And coconut oil has a lot of health benefits. If you google it you'll find some pretty wild claims and some nutritional facts! Anyway it's pretty nice...

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There's a parallel thread going on about coconut oil ... some good prices being quoted ;)