Code free monitor

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was having browse about and came across this.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220903935762&var=520057542876#ht_4954wt_982

£10 for the meter and strips are only £4.99 for 50 + £2 P&P, lancets are £6.99 for 100 + £2 P & P

Not bad really, appears to be good I did a browse around on the web and it has some good reviews. I currently get free strips, but I think that once the doc sees I have been really good (apart from yesterday) he may cut back on my strips or stop them, so I may get this anyway just to have.

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When you are buying SD Codefree supplies from Ebay you will only pay the one £2.00 P&P per order which can make an even greater saving.

I use the codefree and apart from getting the odd duff strip, which can happen with most makes as far as I am aware, I have been satisfied with the way it has helped me sort out my diet/levels.

I am having a small irritation at the moment though as the latest batch of strips I am using record higher than expected, though still within the +/- accuracy parameters, it did give me a couple of days where I thought I was doing something wrong. Double checking backwards I am happy it is the strips so I am happy to continue using the meter to gauge my before and after meals results.

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi BioHaZard, I have just posted some test results on the Codefree on the 'Concerns about the SD Codefree' thread
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28473 which may reassure you. Would post them here for you but I have been having a bit of a senior moments day and can't for the life of my work out how to link to a PDF stored on my laptop.
crying.gif

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't own a codefree, but I'd say having a meter that can be slightly inaccurate is better than not having one and not being able to test. Just don't compare the readings with another meter. This to me is a waste of strips anyway.

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
))Denise(( said:
I don't own a codefree, but I'd say having a meter that can be slightly inaccurate is better than not having one and not being able to test. Just don't compare the readings with another meter. This to me is a waste of strips anyway.

As far as I am aware all home meters are "slightly inaccurate" so the SD Codefree is a good buy and, going by the test report I linked to in an earlier post, it holds it's own when compared with other, more expensive, options. :)

Nada

I bought a code free monitor while the docs sorted out what they were going to do - took them a couple of months to give me a free Ultra One monitor and free strips on prescription. I thought there wouldn't be much difference but found the SD code free kept giving higher readings than the Ultra one. I queried the Ultra assuming it was wrong with the manufacturer. Have compared readings for four weeks and the same difference at all times. I have tested the Ultra one and all passed muster so now going to check what might be awry with the code free one. Will update when I have tested it.

Cultivator

I bought a codefree - seduced by the cheapness and recommendations on here... I hate the thing, it gave me readings of 9 or 10 when I am used to 6 and 7 but it isn't regular either so I can't just accept that it will always be a bit high. I've binned it and gone back to the Freestyle lite (well I can't actually bring myself to bin it ... but I should !) .

glenmoray

I've tested the monitor you have got against 3 other leading ones, made by Abbott, Glucomen and Accu Chec.All the monitors I mention got results to within .2mmol of each other. The monitor your on about gave a massive 2.5mmol difference.in my blood tests. I tested my blood sugars over 2 days (10 tests) what worries me is I had a blood test on the 3 which indicated I was having a hypo. I had all the warnings I was having a hypo and the code free monitor was telling me my BG was 5.5mmol. If I was relying on this machine only I could have got in my car and drove thinking I was safe.

welsh_kev

t threw my codefree in the bin. the high readings were depressing. i found that even though it read high - about 1.5 to 2.0 mmol higher than other meters, even then it wasnt consistant.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine also ended up in the bin.
Some example readings were:

OneTouch/ SD CodeFree
6.0 / 8.6
4.9 / 7.2
7.2 / 8.7
6.6 / 11.6
7.1 / 12.5
4.2 / 8.9

I tried different lots of strips, the included samples & 2 separate boxes.
At one stage I had a hypo, sweating & shaking. My One Touch read 3.6, the SD Codefree 6.2.
Not surprisingly I lacked confidence in the device

Desert Diva

Re the higher readings with the SD code free...this suggests to me that if I am getting readings of 5.6-6.7 my blood sugars are actually within 'normal' limits?

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Desert Diva said:
Re the higher readings with the SD code free...this suggests to me that if I am getting readings of 5.6-6.7 my blood sugars are actually within 'normal' limits?
With the Codefree, some of them could be, but due to the erratic nature of the readings that I got there is no way to tell. I would try a different meter, sorry. :thumbdown:

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
My Codefree consistently registers about 1.0 higher than my Accu Check - eg if I'm 6.0 on the Accu I'm 7.0 on the Codefree.

So long as it's consistent I can deal with that and to be honest, I think the CF is more accurate because I've tested myself 2 or 3 times rin the space of one minute with the Codefree and it's always come back with the same or very similar readings whereas I've read here that some people have tested themselves with other meters in a two minute session and have come back with widely varying results.

I just don't think any of these meters are so high tech that they can be totally trusted for accuracy, so if I'm not getting 100% accuracy from any meter then I'd rather use one whose strips don't cost a fortune.

I don't take my meter results as gospel, I take them as an approximate. But I'm T2 not T1 and I'm not dabbling with insulin so I can afford to do that, but for T1s I think it's really important to find the most accurate and reliable meter possible.