coeliac/diabetes

duffy12

hi I have just been diagnosed with diabetes type 2. as usual big problem for me and not enough information. I am not sure what food to eat. because my problem is I am also a coeliac. and from what I can read about diabetes food I cant eat a lot of it because it contains wheat gluton etc what coeliacs cant eat. so HELP. thank you if anyone can help me. gary. :(

kellibabi

Might be worth giving the Low Carb diet a go - chicken, fish, meats etc. Plenty of omlettes, stir fry, ooooh, steak & eggs :)

Apologies if you're also a veggie!

There's a low carb diet mentioned on the forum somewhere too.

Sugar free jelly is a big part of my life now - yum.

Hope some of the above helps.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi Gary you could contact Coeliac uk for info . I have also have Coeliac disease and l'm type 1. You can find out lots of information on line. Good luck
RRB

Elc1112

I have type 1 diabetes. I also have coeliacs. There are still plenty of things that you can eat. Gluten free pasta and rice, although I tend to go for smaller portions because of the carbs. Soups. Anything egg-based, pastry free quiche, omelette, egg white 'pizzas' etc. Chicken or fish with vegetables.

Bit of a pain but it is definitely doable - I've managed to cope with both for the last 16 years!

Em :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As a Type 2 who can't eat wheat, I have found that the best thing you can do is not to eat the gluten free replacement foods. They just make your blood sugar go up. You don't need the carbs in them. Get any carbs you need from veg and fruit.

duffy12

I would like to thank you all for your help. I really feel a lot better about myself after reading your replies. I suppose the longer I go on the more I will learn. once again thank you all very much. :thumbup:

Gizmo123

I'd recommend joining Coeliac uk. You get a food directory so u can make sure the foods u but are gluten free. You can also get bread,pasta,biscuits on prescription for free from your doctor.
My daughters t1 diabetic and has coeliacs and copes really well and I make gf meals for the family as easier b

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Its not that hard dont worry, Just be aware of carbs and drink low sugar drinks for sure. look for meals which are low/no carb over things based on them. Sausage casserole is lovely :)