1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

coeliac/diabetes

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by duffy12, Jul 22, 2013.

1. duffy12

duffy12 · Newbie

hi I have just been diagnosed with diabetes type 2. as usual big problem for me and not enough information. I am not sure what food to eat. because my problem is I am also a coeliac. and from what I can read about diabetes food I cant eat a lot of it because it contains wheat gluton etc what coeliacs cant eat. so HELP. thank you if anyone can help me. gary. :(

2. kellibabi

kellibabi · Well-Known Member

Might be worth giving the Low Carb diet a go - chicken, fish, meats etc. Plenty of omlettes, stir fry, ooooh, steak & eggs :)

Apologies if you're also a veggie!

There's a low carb diet mentioned on the forum somewhere too.

Sugar free jelly is a big part of my life now - yum.

Hope some of the above helps.

3. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Hi Gary you could contact Coeliac uk for info . I have also have Coeliac disease and l'm type 1. You can find out lots of information on line. Good luck
    RRB

4. Elc1112

Elc1112 · Well-Known Member

I have type 1 diabetes. I also have coeliacs. There are still plenty of things that you can eat. Gluten free pasta and rice, although I tend to go for smaller portions because of the carbs. Soups. Anything egg-based, pastry free quiche, omelette, egg white 'pizzas' etc. Chicken or fish with vegetables.

Bit of a pain but it is definitely doable - I've managed to cope with both for the last 16 years!

Em :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

5. ))Denise((

))Denise(( Type 2 · Well-Known Member

As a Type 2 who can't eat wheat, I have found that the best thing you can do is not to eat the gluten free replacement foods. They just make your blood sugar go up. You don't need the carbs in them. Get any carbs you need from veg and fruit.

6. duffy12

duffy12 · Newbie

I would like to thank you all for your help. I really feel a lot better about myself after reading your replies. I suppose the longer I go on the more I will learn. once again thank you all very much. :thumbup:

7. Gizmo123

Gizmo123 · Member

I'd recommend joining Coeliac uk. You get a food directory so u can make sure the foods u but are gluten free. You can also get bread,pasta,biscuits on prescription for free from your doctor.
    My daughters t1 diabetic and has coeliacs and copes really well and I make gf meals for the family as easier b

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

8. Etty

Etty Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

9. Engineer88

Engineer88 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Its not that hard dont worry, Just be aware of carbs and drink low sugar drinks for sure. look for meals which are low/no carb over things based on them. Sausage casserole is lovely :)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook