coeliac disease

johnny37

I have been type 1 for 27 years, pumping for the last twelve months. My control has always been somewhat erratic though my last HBA1c was 7.5. Still swinging with hypos and highs. My professionals tell me this is acceptable. I envy pumpers who say they have come down from 11 to 5.8!

I digress. I am to see my GP tomorrow to have suspected ceoliac disease confirmed. I am 67. I have had embarrasing symptoms for the last year but no stomach pain. There is no cure except abstaining from gluten eg wheat products.

What I would like to know is, in this situation, could eating bread, breakfast cereals, biscuits etc. (and bolussing for such) affect my control?

Thanks

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Re: ceoliac disease

Johnny,

Type 1 diabetes and coeliac disease are closely linked, I was tested myself a few years back but my results came back clear but I did worry myself at this time. Coeliac UK have a helpline where you can discuss any questions you may have:

http://www.coeliac.org.uk/

Nigel

annierose

My Grandma has ceoliac disease and we're very close; I know that for her, eating gluten makes her sick, or makes her go to the loo, which would make you hypo most likley. So in that way yes, it would make control far more difficult, but I'm sure you'll find a way to work things through, I hope this helps

stoney

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump

Hi There

My Son James has been a coeliac since 2005 and we were devastated at the time. He had to have a biopsy to actually determine the diagnosis and it came back positive. But now 5 years on we are managing to keep him on the straight and narrow and does not eat any gluten or cross contaminate. He did have a bad time once, when we went to the local chippy (a young girl there) gave us the wrong chips and my son was violently sick and doubled up in pain. Phoned to ask if we were given the wrong chips and they did actually admit their mistake. So we do know that he CANNOT tolerate any gluten. We do get bread, pizza bases, pasta, plain biscuits on prescription and if you go on the coeliac.org.uk you will see that they have a list of age groups and what you are able to have on script.

Hope this helps.

liklejojo

Hi,

Coeliac is very common nowaday's I've had it since I was 17 so about 8 years now, you can get quite a lot of gluten free products on prescription from your GP (best of all we get them for free because were diabetic). It's trial and error as to what you will like though, i'm always trying new things, some good, some very bad. I found that Tesco and Asda have a lot of good things but pm me if you want some recipes or anything :)

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!

stoney said:
Hi There

My Son James has been a coeliac since 2005 and we were devastated at the time. He had to have a biopsy to actually determine the diagnosis and it came back positive. But now 5 years on we are managing to keep him on the straight and narrow and does not eat any gluten or cross contaminate. He did have a bad time once, when we went to the local chippy (a young girl there) gave us the wrong chips and my son was violently sick and doubled up in pain. Phoned to ask if we were given the wrong chips and they did actually admit their mistake. So we do know that he CANNOT tolerate any gluten. We do get bread, pizza bases, pasta, plain biscuits on prescription and if you go on the coeliac.org.uk you will see that they have a list of age groups and what you are able to have on script.

Hope this helps.
Hi I hope you don't mind me contacting you, but I have recently made a post regarding Coeliac Disease, my 20 month old grandson has just had his test and confirmation that he is coeliac, his parents have dealt with this since he became ill when first introducted to solids, and after many hospital visits (which were quite unhelpful) it was finally accepted that he was possibly suffering from Coeliac disease (now confirmed, at least until he can be tested again at 5 when it is unlikely that he will test negative). He is also diary intolerant to make life just that bit harder, my question was how do children deal with this, especially in their teen years when their mates are eating all the foods they cannot not eat. This is the thing that worries my daughter and son in law, although they are educating him, even now, and he eats well and is thriving extremely well - he loves his food, and they get some gluten free products from NHS, he loves veg and fruit! But he has now been able to recognise that he is not having what others have, he is beginning to learn to deal with it - but as this is life long - as with diabetes - diets are not always easy to stick too. Just wondering if you have any experience of this as a problem in your son? As I say, I do hope I am not being intrusive.