MagicFirefly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dangerous drivers
Marmite
A long story - but it's been discovered in recent months that I may have coeliac disease. After a little bit of research, I found apparently people with type 1 diabetes are more likely to get coeliacs. Well, I'm ********.
I'm still at the diagnostic stage, having had bloods and an endoscopy (without sedation I may add!)

Anyone been diagnosed with Coeliacs since the diabetes? Any advice? I've already been looking at wheat free foods.

Also what kind of symptoms did you endure? I've got some of the ones I've found on most sites I've looked at relating to coeliacs.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi MF, loads of us on the forum have Coeliac so welcome to the club. It's not just wheat you have to avoid it's gluten as well. I had an endoscopy quite a few years ago without sedation as well :eek:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
hi, I concur with Carbsrock. There are many symptoms and some have no symptoms at all !!

Mine were vomiting, upper abdominal pain,( severe at times), weight loss, diarrhea problems, and feeling so ill I couldn't eat any more dinner, mouth ulcers ( still get these). There were days when I had thoughts of the 'C' word in my stomach/bowel.
Having Coeliac means following a strict lifetime Gluten free diet, which includes , wheat, gluten, Rye, Barley and for some oats. Once you are diagnosed and start on the Free from foods, it will be a 100 times better.
Try not to worry too much, take care

RRB

Reactions: 2 people

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey! welcome to the club :)

Whatever your symptoms (known or not) youll feel better gluten free. coeliac uk is a not bad place to start.

Reactions: 4 people

MagicFirefly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dangerous drivers
Marmite
Thanks! Its just another complication to add to the list, eh?

I'm trying to stay positive. There are a few things I will really miss though! Just need a dignosis.

cleo82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to control effects of stress on blood sugars
Hi Magicfirefly, me too! I was back and fore to doctors with nausea and sore stomach for years before unexplained anaemia finally triggered the tests for diagnosis. There were a couple of companies offering free taster packs at the time - Juvela and Glutafin (prob a few more now) which were great for trying out breads, biscuits, flour mixes, pizza bases, pastas etc - just sign up on their websites. There's been major improvements in the past few years, with most supermarkets stocking 'free from' foods and a much better awareness across the catering industry - many even have procedures in place to avoid cross-contamination. Amazon do 'subscribe & save' deals on gluten free food too, which is great if you live in the sticks like me! Some basics are available on prescription but this varies from area to area - ours stopped doing it about a year ago. There's also dedicated gluten free bakeries online, like wheatfreebakerydirect - their stuff is amazing - a million miles away from the cardboard bread on offer a few years back.

It takes a bit of adjusting what/where you can eat, and the processed stuff can be quite expensive, but there's plenty out there so don't panic if the diagnosis comes back positive.

JANROU

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was diagnosed coeliac last year after my son was diagnosed, had blood test as advised by his consultant to check immediate family members. I had no symptoms at all, although I do remember go through a 'phase' several years ago around the time I was diagnosed diabetic, that could have pointed to coeliac disease. An endoscopy ( no sedation, not a procedure I enjoyed but was bearable) confirmed the diagnosis. For me the worst thing is the changing absorption of food as my gut heals. I've regrettably put on weight and I seem to be doing fasting BG tests to try to maintain my levels (I have a pump). On the bright side I have a partner in crime on the coeliac front (he doesn't have diabetes) which helps when going out for family meals. We love our new bread maker and I'm being more adventurous with food. Wishing you well, it's a manageable condition. Take care

Reactions: 2 people