coeliac foods

95FEB

are there any good coeliac foods out there supermarkets only have a small section ...tasted food from juvela its dry and got lots of air bubbles in it i have to warm it up in the microwave before i can eat...n it doesnt taste very nice!

Elc1112

Re: ceoliac foods

Pasta - go for doves farm. Most of the supermarkets sell it. Bread - none of the gluten free bread is great, unfortunately, but I find the brown genius bread is the nicest. Mrs crimbles do some nice cakes and crackers.

Hope this helps :)

iHs

Hi

My partner is coeliac although not diabetic ................ Until this month, he has always been able to get gluten free bread, crackers, rolls and biscuits by prescription but because of the rising cost that gluten free food is having on gp budgets, the prescriptions have now stopped..... Am now buying gluten free flours again from Asian supermarkets and making bread in a breadmixer. There are some nice easy to make recipes posted on the internet so you can get by without parting with loads of cash buying freefrom foods in the large stores... Try using rice flour, potatoe starch (farina), cornflour (polenta). water, eggs, oil, xantham gum, yeast..... makes a lovely loaf the same size as normal bread....

Juvela and Glutafin make a 'fresh' type of glutenfree bread that is baked and delivered to a pharmacy. Tastes fairly nice but needs a large freezer to store bulk quantities as it goes 'off' if not eaten fairly quickly..........

Elc1112

Go to the coeliac uk website and youcan get a handbook of all the gluten free foods by supermarket - ideal of you're newly diagnosed. Some restaurants - Zizzi, ask etc. - do gluten free pasta so you can still eat out.

Companies like juvela and glutafin will send you gluten free hampers which are quite useful - if was a while so that I got mine but they came with recipe cards which were really useful.

Once you get your head around it all and work out what youcan and can't have then it's not too bad.

I used to get foods on prescription but my GP stopped that about three years ago. The supermarket stuff isn't as expensive as it used to be so its not all bad.

Doves farm are, in my opinion, the best for flour too. Quite good for making breads and so on.

M&S introduced a gluten free range a couple of years ago. They do some lovely cakes for treats!

Good luck with it all. Shout if you have any questions. Em

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Warburton do a nice sourdough cob. It’s not that like a sourdough but you can cut it up thick and I like the crust. Felt nice to have my favourite avocado on toast today

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Warburton do a nice sourdough cob. It’s not that like a sourdough but you can cut it up thick and I like the crust. Felt nice to have my favourite avocado on toast today

To be honest, connie, it seems to me the Free From areas in supermarkets are much, much larger, with more variety these days. Even in the couple of years I have been GF, they have grown enormously. That said, the only GF products I buy are Soy Sauce and Worcestershire Sauce.

Of course, I buy natually gluten-gree products, but above I refer to products manipulated and changed in their manufacturing process to render then GF.