Coenzyme Q10

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
I can't say I noticed any significant BG changes .. I take it to offset the 'statin' effect on my muscle fibres.

anniep

Hobs does it work for the statins? I have just started taking it becasue of terrible leg cramps

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
I was steered towards the Co-Q10 after I was changed over from Atorvastatin. I was originally on Simvastatin but moved to Atorvastatin because of muscle pain in calf & thigh. The change had no effect so I moved to Rosuvastatin and advised to buy myself and take the Co-Q10. This I did and the leg pains went away in about a fortnight . I don't know it was the change in statin or the intro of Q10 or both, but whichever it was, it sure worked for me.

I was also told that that as statins effectively block natural Co-Q10, taking a supplement is of benefit to the heart muscle.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
There are several previous threads here in which members discuss Co-Q10. Do a search of the forum using that as a 'keyword'. There will be more information in those threads.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I take Co-enzyme Q10 as it is supposed to lower blood pressure, is an antioxidant, lowers cholesterol and blood sugar (my BGs are certainly good :) ) and is good for your gums. It is also anti free radicals. It is useful for statin users and helps the metabolism (all this according to them...). I'm not sure that it really does all this though perhaps I am wasting my money :shock:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
COQ10 is more for the brain than leg muscles and cramps. COQ10 diminshes in our bodies from early 20's onwards. There are also varying strengths of it. To get most benefit you need to check the qty of mg that you take.

I have been taking the strongest strength for about 4 years, and it has not altered my needs for insulin or my BG's. To be quite honest, I don't actually know that it has helped my brain....other than I dread finding out what my memory and brain function would be like without taking them, so I just keep taking them.

I was on statins for 10 years and when I learned that they recommended COQ10 to be taken with them I started. I came off statins on Christmas day last year. Have had 3 cholesterol tests since then and my levels are all come in under 4.6, with good ldl and hdl levels, this monday just gone my Consultant said that I shouldn't have been on them, as it is obvious I didn't and haven't got raised cholesterol. I came off the statins because of feeling unwell on them, but statins weren't the cause of my feeling ill, it was being misdiagnosed twice with different illnesses in the past decade.....