Cold and flu treatments/medicines

Russ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Injustice
I am having my first (hopefully last) cold of the 'season' and like many, get to the desperate stage of what I can take for relief that is sugar free.

In the past I have used the likes of Codeine 15mg (no higher) Sugar Free Solution (Care+ brand), meant to calm dry or irritating coughs, specifically suggested by my GP and still available over the counter from many chemists and also Robitussin Sugar Free Chesty Cough medicine and also recommended by my GP. These may not, for various reasons, suit everyone.

However I was desperate and I wanted one of the do-all, knock-out medicines which don't come in sugar free versions, that I know of, so I decided that as my BS is fairly controlled I'd risk one with sugar syrup! The chemist said I should be OK and was given some Benylin Mucus Cough Night. Cough calmed, good night's sleep and BS considerably lower in the morning (usually around mid-higher 6's, but came down to 5.8, 5.7 and 6.1 over three nights). I can't explain it but am very grateful.

I emphasise that this is how it happened for me and I am not making recommendations other than to say that there is some relief available which MAY be helpful.

Good luck,

Russ

mazbee

I use Robitussin sugar free (non drowsy) medicine for my cough.

It works like a dream at settling down my chsty cough.

My husband who has COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) has found that my cough medicine works better for him too than many other shop brands.