cold feet

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all

Just looking for a wee bit of advice and re-assurance. I think I am probably being a bit paranoid.

For the last few days my feet have been really cold and white. I have been consistently looking after them since being diagnosed and when I had my first check up at the podiatrist he said I was low risk. I have been keeping my BG levels at a good rate for most of the time. But the last two nights, for the first time in my life, I had to get up and put socks on as my feet were so cold I couldn't get to sleep. In all other ways they feel fine and sensitivity is there. I am just wondering about circulation.

I know it's been cold outside lately and maybe it's perfectly normal and nothing to do with diabetes. I know for a long time my body's thermostat wasn't working and I was always too hot-another symptom of undiagnosed diabetes. Do you think maybe, now that diabetes is under control, I am just feeling the cold like a normal person or should I get it checked out? (Don't like to waste the doctor's time over nothing.)

Grazer

Hi Choco! Have to say it's poor circulation, but is it diabetes related? Don't know. I get periodic bad circulation in one foot, and my BGs are very well under control. I asked the DSN and the doctor about it, they both said may be nothing to do with diabetes, if it is, not much you can do other than control your BG which I am! my mum, who is 93, has always had bad circulation and gets White feet and hands. She's still going! I don't think it will necessarily get worse, so perhaps do what I'm doing and keep an eye on it. If they stay PERMANENTLY White, go to doc. Good luck!

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Grazer.

After reading your answer I feel better about it now and not as worried.

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
I've noticed my hands and feet get cold very easily lately too. It may be related to betes or not; I don't know.

What I do now is always wear slippers when I'm at home and usually wear gloves when I'm out walking the dog or very often when I'm driving in this cold, winter weather.

Why don't you wear socks when you go to bed?

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
My feet are often cold to the touch but they never feel cold to me - if you see what I mean. Sometimes I wear socks to bed. I also do those foot exercises while stiting - raise leg, point toe, rotate at ankle 30 times right, 30 times left, then - still pointed - 30 times up and down. Then the other foot. Helps circulation.

I thought cold feet were a special device given to us gals to torture our husbands with when in bed! :lol: :wink:

Viv 8)

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
viviennem said:
I thought cold feet were a special device given to us gals to torture our husbands with when in bed

Maybe that's why I've never had to wear socks before-husband left last year after 21 years marriage

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I'm sorry, Marina - hope I didn't touch a nerve.

I lasted less than 4 years :(

Viv 8)

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No, it's fine Viv.

I am seeing the funny side of it and realising that's probably why I've never had to wear socks to bed before. :lol:
I suppose men do have their uses sometimes :lol:

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Don't start on that - "What have the Romans ever done for us?" :wink:

Viv 8)

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
My feet are always cold, even my left foot which has reduced feeling in it post-stroke is cold and it also aches at night which is a stroke-related issue. I do have a hot water bottle at night for which I have been told off severely about by the podiatrist I work with as I have burns marks on my left leg which happened before I realised that I couldn't feel properly on that side. Now I am as careful as I can be with the hot water bottle which has a very fluffy cover on it.

I never used to wear slippers as I hate the things, but now I do. It was quite an eye-opener for me to have the diabetic foot check done by the podiatrist and to realise just how much sensation I have lost on my left side following my stroke which puts me at relatively high risk of damaging myself without knowing and I am now reasonably careful with my feet.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The only time there is nothing on my feet is in the shower. In the height of summer, I'm in bed with nothing on, no covers but thermal socks on my feet. Since loosing all that weight and getting my numbers under control my feet are FREEZING!!!!!
The only time it got scary was camping last year in September, in Yorkshire. Sat in a pub in Appletreewick. All the doors were open (beer fest) and it was cold. My feet got very cold and didn't heat up on the walk back to the campsite. Despite a proper sleeping bag, clothes and two pairs of socks, the pain in my feet was terrible and very worrying. Got about three hours sleep before giving in and going to have a shower. Cried like a baby on finding underfloor heating in the shower block. Bliss.

wiflib

Helenababe

Ever since I was diagnosed my feet have gone icy cold and white, but sometimes they go the opposite and get hot and tender, very uncomfortable.
I get regular foot checks, and they've always been ok.

Helena

youngmanfrank

I have just been to see my doctor.I did the Newcastle diet last year and on the face of it should have no problems.Off meds I have maintained an average fasting blood test of 5.2 over the three weeks ie normal.Results post meal also come back normal,so no high blood sugars.

However I have a huge list of minor problems including cold feet,itchy skin,sleep problems etc.which collectively fit hypothyroidism like a glove.I have found out that there is a link between diabetes and hypothroidism which even my boy doctor agrees exists.This morning I ran 3 miles for my newspaper as usual,but three hours later I am sitting here typing with cold feet wearing two pairs of socks.

Good luck getting it diagnosed,because my TSH levels are unspecified but normal,they won't do the additional tests which are diagnostic.The whole hypothyroidism thing seems a minefield,anyone know where I can get some Levothyroxine off prescription?

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I've never had a thyroid test result outside the "normal" range, either, but I'm lucky 'cos my GP listened, and agreed to treat the symptoms. I'm now on 100mg Levothyroxine once daily and feeling a lot better for it, but I still have a few symptoms.

You can get Levothyroxine off the internet, but I'm always a bit suspicious of the suppliers on the web. You could also try ebay - at least they're customer-rated on there. I believe the danger with Levothyroxine or similar is taking too much and going hyperthyroid, so watch for the symptoms of that if you do decide to self-medicate - which I don't recommend.

You could try telling your GP that you're going to buy your own and see what happens. Also maybe ask your local pharmacist for advice on how to take it. I built up from 25mg once daily.

Good luck

Viv 8)

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I agree with you about thyroid issues - hard to get them diagnosed and treated properly. I've had cold feet problems leading up to and since diabetes diagnosis. I think it will improve as my BG control improves over time. But if not, I'll ask for help.

Just a couple of general points in response to issues mentioned in posts above. With extremely cold feet and/or hands, it's worth ruling out Raynaud's Syndrome and its intermittent cousin Raynaud's Phenomenon.

Any sleep problems should raise the question: is my breathing ok when I am asleep? Do I snore, and if so, is it really loud? Do I sleep mostly on my back, front or side? Do I wake with a headache? Do I fall asleep during the day on the couch, when reading, or when sitting in a car at traffic lights?

Sleep disordered breathing is strongly associated with Type 2 Diabetes, hypertension, and also with depression, insomnia, and obesity. Often we look all over the place for answers to our crazy symptoms, but doctors don't spend a lot of time watching someone breathe while they are asleep. Their partners or housemates hear or see the issues though.

If anyone wants more information, let me know. I might start a fresh thread about it in the next week or so.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
The Lancet had an article recently about underdiagnosis of thyroid problems. they just don't want to treat it. Cost again I bet. I think Most T2s have hypothyroid. I suspect it as a possible trigger for T2. No evidence, but it just feels likely
hana

C

catherinecherub

Some BP medications will make your extremities cold and there have been reports of statins doing the same.

If you have a cold nose, another extremity, then it could be the sign of good health as seen in canines. :wink: :wink: :wink:

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
catherinecherub said:
Some BP medications will make your extremities cold and there have been reports of statins doing the same.

If you have a cold nose, another extremity, then it could be the sign of good health as seen in canines. :wink: :wink: :wink:
OK. Hands up how many of us touched our noses after reading that. :D