Cold hands and feet

Lottie89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is this diabetes related? I've been diagnosed for 7 months and I've always been a warm person but for the past couple of weeks my hands and feet have been frozen.
For instance tonight at work I had the heating on, underfloor heating on, fluffy socks and a blanket and my feet and hands were still like ice consequently making me cold. My boss came home and I asked her to feel my feet to make sure I wasn't over reacting and she's concerned.. It's just not normal.

Does anyone else have this? Can I do anything to help? Should I call my DSN?

My bloods were in range and I don't suffer from neuropathy.

Any advise would be hugely aopreciated xx

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
for gods sake, you live in the UK, of course you're bloody cold :) you need to migrate to aussie land.

thermal underwear and more food, if weights an issue, LCHF:bag:

C

catherinecherub

Hi @Lottie89,

Have you had your thyroid checked as cold extremities can be a sign of an underactive thyroid.. Sometimes Type1s have other autoimmune conditions to contend with.

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
AS Catherine says. have your thyroid checked if you haven't already :) Your symptoms are classic underactive thyroid.

Reactions: 2 people

Lottie89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had my thyroid checked in May and it was fine then. Do you think it could of changed since then? DN said she didn't think it was diabetes related but I should ask my doc for full bloods anyway... I just think it's too much of a coincidence x

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had my thyroid checked in May and it was fine then. Do you think it could of changed since then? DN said she didn't think it was diabetes related but I should ask my doc for full bloods anyway... I just think it's too much of a coincidence x
Of course you thyroid can have changed since May. Something obviously has changed as your hands and feet are so cold now.

fairylights

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have always had cold hands a feet, and had to wear multiple extra jumpers, only since being diagnosed with diabetes and underactive thyroid at the same time have I started to feel almost human again. My daughter asked me if this was why I have been tired 'like her whole life' (she's 15). I still wear more clothes than most people in my office, but I frequently get my outer layer off. I would get it checked again, also my GP thinks I'm fine a a level that's much higher than the Endo, he said 1-2 she says 5 is fine, I know that I feel good at 1 any higher and I feel rubbish again, I'd felt rubbish for so long that I just felt this was normal, now I know it's not!

loulou99782

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have always had cold feet and hands. As soon as weather changes they go like ice blocks especially at night. I do have other conditions that don't help:)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
When I get cold feet (only in the winter) I generally find my blood sugars to be on the low side, not dangerously low hypo levels but around the 3.5 mmol mark.

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I suffer from really cold hands and feet, I have Raynaud syndrome. speak to your doctor. I take 5mg Amlopidine (sp) and whilst it doesn't cure it, I think it does help.

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cold hands and feet is certainly a symptom of winter.

It could be a bunch of things or nothing. You can see a doctor but check for other symptoms of hypothyroidism if you need re assurance.

Llinz04

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes it's normal if you're type 1, im the same with my feet, even when i got the gas heating on flat out, my feet are like the antartic! Haha :p