Cold Remedies not suitable for diabetics...why?

bonerp

Hi
I've had a stinking chest cold for a week and resorted to day and night nurse and actually they've helped somewhat, except my BGs have been slightly less well controlled but as I'm using CGMS with my pump I've generall been on top of it..

On reading the label that came with them it says not suitable for us - I assume it is only becuase of the effec on BGs?

Shame they don't explain why a little more as can't find much useful info online....

thanks in advance

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Some contain sugar, it's always best to ask the pharmacist first and mention that you have type 1 diabetes so that they can give you a suitable product, there are some (although I can't recall the names) products that are suitable for people with diabetes.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
these were the pills....

Good, but you have to remember that colds/flu/ illness or any stress to the body can increase bg levels, so it's unlikely to be the medicine you were taking.

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to have the Lemsip drink but then realised they had sucrose in them. Now I have the Lemsip tablets which the pharmacy assured me were fine and just have plenty of hot drinks.

Your BG is going to be all over the place with a cold anyway.

bonerp

yeah I recognise BGs will be temperamental due to a cold. My question is, why do they say not suitable for diabetics? Is it simply because it may affect BGs rather than do any other damage? In that case they are suitable for diabetics - just need to closely monitor the affect of the cold and the medicine.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Illness , can spike and raise your BG levels .
Any cold/flu products containing sugars,sucrose ,glucose syrup .
Are not suitable for any diabetics as they will just push the BG
levels upwards .

Hot drinks or cold remedies containing sugar free ingredients are more beneficial
to sip when battling cold/flu off .
Your GP or pharmacist can advise accordingly .

Reactions: 3 people

iHs

In the past, many insulin dependant diabetics were just advised to increase their insulin a tiny bit to cope with increases in bg levels due to illness and medications so as long as people test bg levels and take the right action, then there's no real harm done.

The reason for the warnings on cough meds etc is due to the rise in type 2 diabetes that is controlled by tablets and as such would not be controlled
Very well if the medication caused an increase in bg.

Reactions: EllieM

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It is the tablet ones that can also be dissolved in a green and yellow box or purpley for the blackcurrant flavour that are ok.

Ali

bonerp

so their labels should say 'suitable for diabetics however careful monitoring of blood glucose' would be a more appropriate warning!

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In addition to the BS stuff posted by others above, it may be because some medicines like that can cause drowsyness or make you feel a bit out of it (which is why you shouldn't drive or operate machinery) and this feeling has the potential to mask symptoms of low BS, making them potentially dangerous.

If your lying in bed all hopped up on cold medicine and start to feel strange you may just assume it the pills working and fall asleep and not wake up :/

Stay safe!

popocadman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
my partner is type 1 he is 56 so is it no good to take night nurse he got bad headaches and cough restless and having trouble sleeping

popocadman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
hi my partner has black spot under his big toe and is so sore he not stood on anything but he’s bit concerned any idea on what could be

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hi my partner has black spot under his big toe and is so sore he not stood on anything but he’s bit concerned any idea on what could be
Hi popocadman and welcome to the forums. One of the rules on here is that nobody is allowed to attempt to diagnose or identify anything. We are simply not in a position to do this. No problem sharing personal experiences etc.

If your partner is concerned about the black spot (I think I would be if it was me) then proper medical advice is needed.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I took two night nurse and didn't wake up with a hypo until the alarm went off. Thought I felt a bit out of it and groggy then tested my BG and it was 2.3 do perhaps that's why they're not advised.

I swear the clocks going back are at fault for my morning hypos this week.