cold weather and insulin requirements

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi folks,
Has anyone else experienced the need for less insulin during this artic weather. Andrews Levemir has had to been reduced significally at bedtime and a higher carb snack needed. My house is warm all the time, heating on day and night. He ventured to school on Friday, he forgot to do his humalog with breakfast, walked to school -10 degrees and had 4 hypos that day despite reduced humalog with all meals and less basal. He did have DKA on New Years Eve and spent that time in hospital on drips, is his body still recovering i wonder or is it all down to this artic weather, any advise most welcomed as always.
Suzi x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Suzi,

Never had any need to adjust my insulin due to the weather, although thats not to say that couldn't be the case with your lad. Walking to school, moreso now with the snow on the ground is hard work, therefore he would be burning more fuel (glucose) than normal. I have felt my legs ache after walking the dog recently, and noticed my blood sugars are quite low when I return home.

Simple remedy is to cut back his insulin for the time being, but remember to monitor the situation by frequent testing. Hope all goes well!

Regards

Nigel

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I don't use insulin, but i'd not be surprised if keeping waarm doesn't use more "fuel" and reduce insulin needs. Probably depends on how much time you spend outdoors and what you wear.

iHs

Hello Suzi

I too have found that my bg levels have been dropping due to the extreme cold weather so have had to alter my insulin to carb ratio. Ive left the basal alone for time being.

Its strange that this happens though with some people. For me I think its down to the effort needed to walk through snow packed ice that makes me go low. The blood has frozen in my fingertips :lol: :x so am unable to test.

On saying all this, I also find that when the temperatures start to get above 25 degrees in the summer, I also have to start to reduce insulin so I dont keep going low. Its due to blood vessels dilating so insulin is used up quicker.

suzi

Dislikes
Thanks for all the replys, i know everyone is different and its not only one factor that would effect his insulin requirements, even i find it hard going in the snow!
iHs, Andrew's the same come summer, the warmer it gets the less insulin he needs, funny how the weather affects everyone differently. The cold will not be a problem for us next year, as we are emmigrating to Malta in June, then its Hello sunshine all year round.
Suzi x

Becca

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Suzi,

From my experience - yes, insulin needs drop in the cold. I was in the delightfully chilly UK in early December and kept going really low despite taking as much insulin as I would out here in the warm. It may well be individual, but it sounds like your son is the same. I factored that in this week when I went back and didn't have any hypo episodes, which made a great difference. Nothing more miserable than being low and freezing cold. :(

Another reason to look forward to sunny Malta!!

JasonHayes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Never noticed I need any more/less insulin during Winter. Agree during the Summer, I find Insulin works quicker faster. I agree with the others Winter, could be simply because you body is working harder, walking in snow, short of breath, etc...

suzi

Dislikes
Weather starting to thaw here a little, Andrew headed out to school and temp 3 degrees compared to Fri -10, so hopefully goodbye hypos and juggling insulin, though the pavements are so slippery, it'll probably take all his energy to keep upright! Snow has been here for 3wks now and even the kids are getting sick of it, roll on spring time.
Suzi x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Suzi,

Yeah, roll on spring and summer, then you know what will all say..........................it's to bloody warm!..............roll on autumn! :lol:

Nigel