Cold weather!

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey everyone, just an observation but my sugar levels have been mental recently after months of good control. Saw the doc last week and she decided to increase my night time levemir as I was waking up with high readings before breakfast (split my doses morning and night). Now as we're all aware it's got a hell of a lot colder so I'm wondering if insulin isn't as efficient in the cold weather as it is in the heat?

Has anyone else had crazy readings lately?

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I thought the same thing whilst waiting for the bus this morning!! Will insulin freeze in our bags?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
We have this conversation on the forum every year :)

There's quite a few of us who find that their basal needs increase in the Winter and decrease when the weather warms up in Spring & Summer, not by much but enough to make a difference to bg control.

Reactions: 6 people

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes!! I'm the first to start the annual cold weather discussion :D

Hmm yeah I was thinking maybe adjusting them again, I normally increase by 2 units so I think that will do!

Reactions: 7 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yes!! I'm the first to start the annual cold weather discussion :D

Hmm yeah I was thinking maybe adjusting them again, I normally increase by 2 units so I think that will do!

Mine can increase/decrease by 1-2 units so your not alone, as for the crazy readings you mentioned earlier, I think I was having a few injection site problems with my bum where I inject my lantus, since switching to the legs only all has settled down, really thinking that a pump might be the best option :)

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't inject in my legs at the mo due to horrid bruises, which I don't mind really as I take levemir in tummy and humalog in arms now.

Yeah levels have been nuts, from last week it's rare that they've been below 12 :( when before the cold they were average 6-12! Got docs again soon so I'll check with them!

I don't fancy the pump myself, my friends daughter has one and it works for her lovely but I'd rather stick with injections for now! Who knows after the recent discovery of a possible cure(?) no more injections or pumps :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Mine is not hot or cold weather specifically, but alway within a week after the clocks change in UK.

moz1

Hot or cold can have an effect on your insulin requirements. There are also many other reasons you may need to adjust insulin. Just be flexible and aware that insulin will need adjusting from time to time to suit your body.

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wish it was straightforward instead of having to tread on egg shells and make sure pretty much everything and anything is accounted for!

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't be thinking of cold weather yet, I've only just routinely started wearing trousers, and I'm still sleeping under a thin blanket instead of my winter (4tog) duvet.

Reactions: 3 people

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never noticed a change with the weather in the past but I have noticed it a bit in the last week with the weather getting a bit colder.
I was going to take an extra two units of Basal yesterday and didn't then for the last 24 hours my levels have been spot on again :banghead:

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
The winter is my favorite time of year from a diabetes perspective , my basal needs drop almost by 50 % when it gets really cold. Heatwaves send me me high and I require more basal in the summer months.

This seems to be contrary to most other diabetics and I still haven't found a good explanation why this, anyone ? Perhaps an underlying medical condition that I'm not aware of ?