1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Cold weather!

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Seriously_Sax1989, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Seriously_Sax1989

Seriously_Sax1989 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hey everyone, just an observation but my sugar levels have been mental recently after months of good control. Saw the doc last week and she decided to increase my night time levemir as I was waking up with high readings before breakfast (split my doses morning and night). Now as we're all aware it's got a hell of a lot colder so I'm wondering if insulin isn't as efficient in the cold weather as it is in the heat?

Has anyone else had crazy readings lately?

2. Emmotha

Emmotha Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing whilst waiting for the bus this morning!! Will insulin freeze in our bags?

3. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

We have this conversation on the forum every year :)

There's quite a few of us who find that their basal needs increase in the Winter and decrease when the weather warms up in Spring & Summer, not by much but enough to make a difference to bg control.

• Like Like x 6
  4. Seriously_Sax1989

Yes!! I'm the first to start the annual cold weather discussion :D

Hmm yeah I was thinking maybe adjusting them again, I normally increase by 2 units so I think that will do!

• Like Like x 7
  5. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Mine can increase/decrease by 1-2 units so your not alone, as for the crazy readings you mentioned earlier, I think I was having a few injection site problems with my bum where I inject my lantus, since switching to the legs only all has settled down, really thinking that a pump might be the best option :)

6. Seriously_Sax1989

I can't inject in my legs at the mo due to horrid bruises, which I don't mind really as I take levemir in tummy and humalog in arms now.

Yeah levels have been nuts, from last week it's rare that they've been below 12 :( when before the cold they were average 6-12! Got docs again soon so I'll check with them!

I don't fancy the pump myself, my friends daughter has one and it works for her lovely but I'd rather stick with injections for now! Who knows after the recent discovery of a possible cure(?) no more injections or pumps :)

7. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

Mine is not hot or cold weather specifically, but alway within a week after the clocks change in UK.

8. moz1

moz1 · Well-Known Member

Hot or cold can have an effect on your insulin requirements. There are also many other reasons you may need to adjust insulin. Just be flexible and aware that insulin will need adjusting from time to time to suit your body.

9. Seriously_Sax1989

I wish it was straightforward instead of having to tread on egg shells and make sure pretty much everything and anything is accounted for!

10. ElyDave

ElyDave Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I can't be thinking of cold weather yet, I've only just routinely started wearing trousers, and I'm still sleeping under a thin blanket instead of my winter (4tog) duvet.

• Like Like x 3
  11. dtennant9

dtennant9 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've never noticed a change with the weather in the past but I have noticed it a bit in the last week with the weather getting a bit colder.
    I was going to take an extra two units of Basal yesterday and didn't then for the last 24 hours my levels have been spot on again :banghead:

12. Wurst

Wurst Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The winter is my favorite time of year from a diabetes perspective , my basal needs drop almost by 50 % when it gets really cold. Heatwaves send me me high and I require more basal in the summer months.

This seems to be contrary to most other diabetics and I still haven't found a good explanation why this, anyone ? Perhaps an underlying medical condition that I'm not aware of ?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook