Colds

Sweet3x

So I have a cold. Woke up yesterday, nose streaming, throat sore, all the usual.
Same this morning. Haven't done anything much differently from normal. Didn't eat quite so much yesterday, cos I know (or have been told all my life, anyway) that colds can make your BS rise, so kept it to a minimum. Ended up having a hypo in the night - only know this, cos I woke at 3am, sheets soaking and feeling cold and clammy (unfortunately, this happens with frequent monotony, but that's another issue). Blood test at that time showed levels were at 5.5. Went back to sleep, without eating anything, since I didn't feel shakey or anything and my levels were ok. Woke this morning at 6:30, BS was 8. Ok, weird, but put it down to the cold. Had my usual Lantus (26 units) plus 3 units of Humalog, and my normal sized bowl of puffed wheat. All as normal. Came to work (which involves a 20 min walk split into two) and have slowly been feeling worse since 8am (all gmt+1, sorry) until now, when I suddenly feel like I can't stay awake any longer. Go to do a blood test, and it's up to 10.7 - I know colds don't help you, but surely they don't make your sugars rise like that? Anyway, taken another 2 Humalog, and I have no doubt I'll be feeling hypo again, in a few hours :(
Anyone got any ideas as to what I did wrong?
Ta :)

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
I noticed similar with a recent virus. After eating my levels stayed up longer, then they'd suddenly drop, along with feeling high when I was hypo and vice versa! Also this time my levels didn't get back to normal until a week after I felt better. Since illness tends to increase insulin resistance, I guess the virus impacts on how you react to carb intake and maybe increased dawn effect.
I don't think you did anything wrong. Can only suggest cautiously increasing the ratio of insulin to carbs with meals, but watch out for lows before meals.
HTH
Sue