Thanks for the info, I will read it later when i an less busy! RRB

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
It's normally acceptable to quote a key paragraph - helpful to the rest of us.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I too wasn't what most people would call obese, but on BMI, I was. I'm not any more. BMI makes out even not very heavy people are obese ie BMI 30 For my height of 170cm that's 87kg or about 13 1/2 stone. By no means huge.
there's little doubt that weight problems and T2DM are LINKED. My own theory is that the weight thing is a symptom, not a cause. Insulin resistance is a feature OF T2DM and a high level of circulating insulin causes weight gain as insulin users often find out.
However, A link is not proof of causality. Making it seem so is BAD SCIENCE.
I also suspect that insulin resistance results from trying to keep to the recommended Healthy Balanced Diet, high in carbs. That triggers the problem in susceptible people. I feel it's no co-incidence that the rise in cases of T2DM links in with the adoption of a low fat way of life in most of the developed world.
Neverthelesws, i ccannot prove that this is a case of cause and effect. I CAN show a LINK [Gary Taubes has done just that]
Hana

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
IanD said:
It's normally acceptable to quote a key paragraph - helpful to the rest of us.

I appreciate that and it would probably be seen as reasonable with regard to copyright. However, as I am presently chasing someone regarding use of my material without permission (I only want an apology), I am very wary about giving ammunition.

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
hanadr said:
I too wasn't what most people would call obese, but on BMI, I was. I'm not any more. BMI makes out even not very heavy people are obese ie BMI 30 For my height of 170cm that's 87kg or about 13 1/2 stone. By no means huge.
there's little doubt that weight problems and T2DM are LINKED. My own theory is that the weight thing is a symptom, not a cause. Insulin resistance is a feature OF T2DM and a high level of circulating insulin causes weight gain as insulin users often find out.
However, A link is not proof of causality. Making it seem so is BAD SCIENCE.
I also suspect that insulin resistance results from trying to keep to the recommended Healthy Balanced Diet, high in carbs. That triggers the problem in susceptible people. I feel it's no co-incidence that the rise in cases of T2DM links in with the adoption of a low fat way of life in most of the developed world.
Neverthelesws, i ccannot prove that this is a case of cause and effect. I CAN show a LINK [Gary Taubes has done just that]
Hana

I suspect mine may have been more related to my love of beer ;)