1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Come off meds

Discussion in 'Diabetes Medication and Drugs' started by woodstar65, May 11, 2014.

1. woodstar65

woodstar65 · Member

Hi last year I was at a real low point in my life and I blamed it on my diabetes and all the meds I was on. I was constantly bloated and over weight. No matter on what diet I was on. So I stopped taking my insulin and other meds. Ramapril statins. I have lost weight and gone back to my pre diagnosed weight. I feel terrific both mentally and physically. I even did the tough mudder two weeks ago.
    The thing that worries me is what to expect as I can't keep going like this forever. I'm trying to weigh things up for quantity over quality. The pros and cons of it all. I don't want to see a doc about it as I know what there going to say. Has any one else done this or felt the same. Just feel like there's no one to talk to about it some times.
    Cheers

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

2. volorg

volorg Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi woodstar65, you don't say if you've been testing your BS levels to see if they've changed for the better or worse. I say that because that is what I would use to reassure myself - it sounds like you are feeling 100% better and have taken control of your condition.

That sounds good to me!

I have not been able to make such dramatic changes as you but I have reduced/stopped meds that were making me feel worse. I really do think that quality of life is just as important as anything else once you find out you have a condition/disease.

Can I ask why you feel that you can't keep keeping on with what you have been doing?

• Like Like x 2
  3. grandmasunflower

grandmasunflower Type 2 · Member

I've come off my basal med, so only on bolus and what a difference it has made. I feel like a new person, weight dropping off, more energy, I can concentrate & have been able to start studying again, the very large elephant has fallen off my head where he has been sitting & putting on weight for over ten years. The side effects from all the drugs crept up on me and I hadn't noticed how they had dulled my life. I'm more proactive in my treatment and have stopped being bullied into taking meds I do really not need, I question everything. I feel like a whole person again and not just a diabetic. Individual treatment tailored to individual people is the best way forward as we are all unique.

4. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

All this info from everybody is useless unless you confirm that you are able to keep your bloods between 5-8... And say what type you are, what weight you were etc.

Good to here that people can change and reduce meds etc, but a chance of misleading newly diagnosed people that could just be in depths of getting used to D, fed up etc who could just decide to stop their meds.

Give us your whole D info....

5. PatsyB

PatsyB Type 2 · Well-Known Member

wow would think it dangerous for some to just stop taking their meds but happy to hear it works for you

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook