coming aboard !

tazzle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
:wave: Just hopping on board for the journey of discovery as a blood sugar monitor :thumbup:

I popped in initially on another thread and was welcomed with some great information ( thank you) :thumbup: as had decided I needed to be proactive in establishing my status. I have been reasonably fit despite being overweight as I exercise a lot and blood pressure / cholesterol level are excellent.

I though my diet was ok ish ( not brilliant) as don't own a frying pan or have takeaway pizzas, pastries, cakes etc., I eat wholemeal bread, fruit, veg etc. and grill all meats. Do have a definate liking however for bread and potatoes in particular as well as pasta and crisps.

However had a prompt to reevaluate when my brother diagnosed as T2 as already had T1 cousin and my daughter had GD last year. Went out and got a BG meter and tested both dear OH and myself. Oh dear.

whilst some of our levels were high end of normal we both peaked at times of 11.2 and 11.8 after either a meal or the home glucose tolerance test. :silent:

Further testing and it looks like we both prediabetic so are now setting out to monitor our bloods after different meals.

I have already lowered some of my post mealtime counts by not having bread in them ........... I really would hate to have to give it all up , same with potatoes, so will be looking at how much I can have and still keep BG at acceptable level.

Another bonus of the information on here is that I may also have come accross a reason why despite quite low calorie levels I found it hard to lose weight ........ carb levels were still quite high even on a low calorie diet...... and even without counting the calories but just being sensible on not going wild I have lost 4 lbs just by changing some of my previous sandwich meals to cracker / oatcake meals and reducing the portions size of my breakfast cereals :D :D :D

Interesting :wink:

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations to you and your OH for being so proactive.

One of the huge advantages for me of changing to a LCHF diet has been lack of hunger. By eliminating all processed sugar and carbs, I got off the blood gluose roller-coaster. IMO, that is what drives hunger and over-eating - there's nothing satiating about carbs, esp. compared with protein and fat.

If you haven't already read it, Gary Taubes' book 'Why We Get Fat & What To Do About It' explains it a lot better than I can, but all I really needed to know when I tried it was - it works :lol:

tazzle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
thanks Indy... will have a peek

this weekend we are having a trial day of testing BG with smples of our "normal" diet to see just what makes us spike high ( I had a low carb week this week and lost 3 -4 lbs in weight without counting calories :clap: ) and I think it will reinforce to oH what foods he needs to cut down so he can carry on when I am not cooking for him.