Coming off meds?

DazG

Had my blood test about 7 weeks ago and result was 5.6

Saw my doctor who said this was good, however she is keeping me on meds as they want me to stay healthy and low, great.

Had a phone call at 2pm today from reception asking me to go down at 3pm for a blood test, and made an app for the diabetic nurse for Monday afternoon.

When I got there it was the trainee DB nurse who took my blood, she said at 5.6 my bs doesnt need to be that low and they are looking at whether I need medication any longer, more will be discussed on Monday when the new HbA1c results come in.

So, is it normal to be taken off meds at 5.6? I cant say Im too happy about it really.

Im also not happy about this nurse, my db nurse is retiring pretty soon and she is taking over, and I really dont like her so will be getting any help/advice I need from my doctor in future.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
I'm in a similar position. I managed to reduce my HbA1c of 10.2% at diagnosis to 5.2% after 3 months, by seriously low-carbing. My Doctor's response was "that's truely phenomenal, if you do it again in 3 months, we'll take you off Metformin."

This seems like a bit of a trap for low-carbers, it almost dooms me to a higher HbA1c; there aren't an awful lot of carbs to cut out of my diet.

I've heard of other people who have "carbed up" for a couple of weeks before the test, to elevate their A1C levels, but we really shouldn't have to resort to deception in order to keep our HbA1c levels "normal".

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
I was close to that situation, but my prescripion said I was taking 3 metformin a day (I was only doing 1) so I told the nurse (bloody nice nurse I got-she sees bands at Glastonbury and Brixton academy!) and I am kept on 1 tablet a day. Which is good as metformin is an appetite suppresant so helps with my weight loss!

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
I'm in the same situ, on 20mg Glicazide per day (quartered 80mg or half 40mg) on HbA1c of 5.8. will see what next HbA1c brings

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Metformin is often given just for weight loss , Ask if can keep it to help you with that :?:

Soon as you come off the Diabetic Meds thats the end to your free prescriptions :idea:

Ask your GP can overrule the nurse I have refused to see our practice nurse who deals with Diabetics

Bob

DazG

Bob I live in Wales so prescriptions are always free :)

I dont understand them telling me that at 5.6 I dont need to be that low, I thought the lower the better really. She also said I am now borderline diabetic, I thought once diagnosed then thats it, you are a diabetic? Like I said I wont be seeing her again, she clearly has no idea what she is talking about.

I will see my doctor if they try making any decisions regarding my health, she will sort it out as she is very good.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Someone on here said that Metformin doesn't make that much difference to your glucose levels, only a unit or so (eg, 5.6 instead of 6.6), so it might be worth decreasing your intake a bit.

My HbA1c is in the lower 5s, too, but there's been no mention of me coming off them yet. Mind you, I still have a lot of weight to lose, and they do help with that. I don't think I'd like to come off them completely, ever, because of their other protective effects - particularly as I'm so anti-statin!

When I was first discussing being registered diabetic with the practice nurse, we had a look at the form and it has a tick-box for 'no longer diabetic' or something similar! However, I would prefer a term like 'dormant' - we might get our levels down to "normal", but if we go back to our old ways, at least for some of us Type 2s, we'd be full blown diabetic again in very short order!

Viv 8)

DazG

Very true Viv, Id be happy to take one per day instead of two, but like you I like the protective nature of them, and since diabetes is progressive id rather stay protected now. Im 35 so have to live with it for a long time (I hope) and although im helping myself ie low carb, I need them to help me too.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
viviennem said:
Someone on here said that Metformin doesn't make that much difference to your glucose levels, only a unit or so (eg, 5.6 instead of 6.6), so it might be worth decreasing your intake a bit.

For those of us that strive for "normal' blood sugar levels, I think that a one point reduction in average BG level is very significant...

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Sorry, borofergie, didn't mean to offend anyone - I'm trying for normal levels too!

I think what I was trying to say, was that taking (say) 2 instead of 3 might not make much difference. Worth suggesting to a GP that it might be worth trying, but can I go back up again if my bg increases, please.

Viv 8)

Unbeliever

When I was taking 6mg of amaryl per day I read somewhere hat noone actually knew wheher
taking more han the usual starter dose of 2mg actually made any difference but the usual procedure was to up the dose if the 2mg stopped working.
At my recent review I asked the doctor if this applied to metformin too. It has never made any difference to my bg but I take it for its protective properties, As I take 2gms daily I wondered if a smaller dose would afford this same protection.
She didn't know but didn't wnt me to lower he dose as I had just dropped another medication.
Does anyone here know if a smaller dose of metformin , taken for cardiovascular protecion would be as effective as "mg?
I don't need o lose weight and it doesn;t lower my blood sugar?

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
viviennem said:
Sorry, borofergie, didn't mean to offend anyone - I'm trying for normal levels too!

I think what I was trying to say, was that taking (say) 2 instead of 3 might not make much difference. Worth suggesting to a GP that it might be worth trying, but can I go back up again if my bg increases, please.

Viv 8)

:twisted:

Don't worry, I wasn't offended :wink:

I agree, reducing your dose is probably a good thing, if you can get away with it.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi, DazG

When I got there it was the trainee DB nurse who took my blood, she said at 5.6 my bs doesnt need to be that low

I've just looked at your post again; do you think your new diabetic nurse may be confusing best HbA1c levels for Type 2 with those for Type 1?

I think she would be right saying it doesn't need to be that low for Type 1s? Correct me if I'm wrong, please, someone who has Type 1.

I'd arm yourself with a bit of research for your next visit to her, and ask for a discussion, so you know where each other is/are coming from.

Viv 8)

bowell

Dislikes

Depends on what papers you read most say will drop you 1<>2
but the dose really needs to be above 1500mg before it becomes really affective

Other benefits Metformin gives you against hart ,stroke ,cholesterol are well documented

I take 2500mg :D

Plus our old mate Ken Always quoted the 1<>2 point drop as well

Bob

NewdestinyX

viviennem said:
but if we go back to our old ways, at least for some of us Type 2s, we'd be full blown diabetic again in very short order!
Yes, yes! If by 'old ways' you mean eating too large portions, eating high carb + high fat - and we end up packing the weight back on, indeed, the hyperglycemia symptoms would return.

But for the 80% group of us, that were overweight/obese at dx, there IS the hope of 'full remission' - I've known 4 now that have achieved it fully - where they can eat 'anything they want' in terms of carbic load and percentage with other macronutrients and neither spike nor have elevated (above fasting level) 2-3hrPP numbers. Now if they put the weight back on - that's when the symptoms could return - because for the 80% group of us - weight around the middle is the primary complicating issue in the onset of T2 (I used to believe, "the trigger" too, but I'm reevaluating that position). But for a lucky few that caught their T2D very early, and get back to normal weight, the remission they can achieve is not compromised by eating more carbs - just by any visceral fat weight gain they experience. Of course none of the people I'm referring to have decided to go back to >300g of carbs regularly. But Christmas dinner "cheats" don't 'spike them' at all from what they've told me nor leave them above fasting levels 2-3hrpp. That's what "I" call 'non-diabetic'.

I so wish Metformin has agreed with me - because of its other good qualities. Sadly, at any dose (I took as much as 2800mg) it didn't help BG levels, or A1c for me. That was back though when I was 20kgs heavier.. Maybe it would help now -- but I know my digestion couldn't handle it. Insulin has been my miracle drug along with moderating down my carbs and increasing my good fat intake. Powerful combo for me. I've achieve the same stats as any very low carbers except for my Dawn Phenomenon. Even at <30g of carbs a day - I couldn't get that number under 5.3-6.1. But as my IR as reduced my requirement for meds has dropped and dropped. For those lucky enough to be in the 80% "typical" group of T2's there's so much of D control and med dosing that's about weight loss. There are 20% for whom weight isn't the issue at all and that's always seemed a little unfair to me. But, hey, there's nothing 'fair' about this disease.. is there.. :roll:

Grazer

bowell said:
Metformin is often given just for weight loss , Ask if can keep it to help you with that :?:

Soon as you come off the Diabetic Meds thats the end to your free prescriptions :idea:

Ask your GP can overrule the nurse I have refused to see our practice nurse who deals with Diabetics

Bob[Not So! I'm on diet only, no meds, but get free prescriptions. Providing you're diagnosed as diabetic, that's it. Malc]

bowell

Dislikes
Bob[Not So! I'm on diet only, no meds, but get free prescriptions. Providing you're diagnosed as diabetic, that's it. Malc]
You can get free NHS prescriptions if, at the time the prescription is dispensed, you:

are 60 or over
are under 16
are 16-18 and in full-time education
are pregnant or have had a baby in the previous 12 months and have a valid maternity exemption certificate (MatEx)
have a specified medical condition and have a valid medical exemption certificate (MedEx)
have a continuing physical disability that prevents you from going out without help from another person and have a valid MedEx
hold a valid war pension exemption certificate and the prescription is for your accepted disability
are an NHS inpatient
You are also entitled to free prescriptions if you or your partner (including civil partners) are named on, or are entitled to, an NHS tax credit exemption certificate or a valid HC2 certificate (full help with health costs), or you receive either:

Income Support
Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
Income-related Employment and Support Allowance, or
Pension Credit Guarantee Credit
http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcosts/Pages/Prescriptioncosts.aspx

Prescriptions

Anyone taking insulin or tablets for their diabetes is entitled to an exemption certificate for prescriptions. They last for five years and application forms are available from your GP or post office. People who treat their diabetes with diet alone are not entitled to an exemption certificate.
ref
http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to...iabetes/Financial_entitlements/Prescriptions/

Medical exemption (MedEx) certificates are issued on application to people who have:

a permanent fistula (for example caecostomy, colostomy, laryngostomy or ileostomy) requiring an appliance or continuous surgical dressing
a form of hypoadrenalism (for example Addison's disease) for which specific substitution therapy is needed
diabetes insipidus or other forms of hypopituitarism
diabetes mellitus, except where treatment is by diet alone
hypoparathyroidism
myasthenia gravis
myxoedema (hypothyroidism requiring thyroid hormone replacement)
epilepsy requiring continuous anticonvulsive therapy
continuing physical disability that prevents the person from going out without help from another person. Temporary disabilities do not count even if they last for several months

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcosts/Pages/Prescriptioncosts.aspx

http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/HealthCosts/1126.aspx

Unless your in Scotland or Wales

images

Arrrrrrrrr see your 61 years young Ding :idea: :idea:
:roll: