Coming off metformin worry

WhitbyJet

ShyGirl your post struck a chord with me, I used to take mountains of pills and potions at one time. If you are reducing your Metformin and eating the same as you have done so far then you will have higher bg levels unless you adapt your diet or increase Januvia and Amaryl? Did you discuss this question with your doctor or nurse?
I hope you feel better very soon.

louiseb

try your best to keep as low carb as you can to manage your levels when you stop the metfomin, but keep an eye on bg by testing regularly but if they start to rise go back to your gp.
but try not to worry as stress will raise your levels also and as you say your a well controlled at the minute and metformin doesnt really lower your bg by much so hoepfully you wont notice much difference as its not the only diabetic meds you take.

WhitbyJet

ShyGirl, I feel for you. There was a time when I was taking many different medications, I then developed side effects and was prescribed mediation to deal with those, it was getting scary.
I was sent from pillar to post from one hospital consultant to the next, I had that many appointments I could play snap with them.
I felt very helpless and confused, even more so when one consultant prescribed a whole lot of bp medication saying that they would protect my kidneys, 2 months later I found myself in hospital with dangerously high potassium levels, caused by prescribed medication. I think that was the lowest point in my diabetic history.
I finally changed GP, begged the new one to start with me from scratch, kind of, thank goodness she listenend to me.
I discussed low carbing with her, she agreed to monitor my progress, I must say this low carbing is not the easiest to do, it took me a while, and decided to reduce the carbs gradually.
For me this was probably the best way as it allowed me to also gradually reduce medication, as I lost weight and increased activity levels my bp and bg came down and so my medication was reduced bit by bit. My confidence grew with it.
I saw your post re the awful clinic, ShyGirl I suggest that you go and make a double appointment with your doctor to give you a bit more than the average 5 - 10 mins talk, and write down what you want to say, what you need help with, and discuss with your doctor, say you want to work as a team please, say you want to be a bit more pro-active and need his/her support. Work out a plan together. This is what I did and it helped me, I stress that I can only tell you that, I cannot promise it works for you, but it may be worth a try?
I used to take 9 pills in the morning, 5 at lunch and 6 at night, every single day and I still felt really ill all the time, my electrolytes were all over the place, especially as I was being sick and vomiting frequently, nightsweats, and so forth.
I wish you good luck with it all.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Do I take it you're vegetarian, ShyGirl? Rose Elliott has written a vegetarian low carb book, which you should be able to get on Amazon. It might be worth having a look at it for some ideas.

Viv 8)

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Flax seeds are good for moving thing along. I cover about a dessertspoonful with hot water to soak then, then when they're cold I mix them in with some live plain yoghurt and a few berries and pumpkin seeds. It helps :wink:

Viv 8)

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
Whitbyjet- I was told a couple of months ago that my night sweats were caused by my age! I know i'm not a teenager anymore but at the age of 31 and without an early menopause , i found such an explanations silly and think it's probably linked to kidney problems.

I thought night sweats also a diabetic symptom I used to wake up so hot and damp, not any more though so must be doing something right!