Coming out of ketosis - temporarily.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, long time no see.

I’m coming up to my eleventh year as someone with T2 controlled with low-carbs, about 20g a day, and recently decided for the first time ever to ‘track my macros’ because I needed to reboot my body and control. I think I’m finally menopausal and at 58, it’s about time! I’ve also suffered a life altering (simple) injury that means I will no longer be able to be active with impunity so although I’m really only 28 in my head, I’ve got to consider my next 40 years on the planet.

For the past two weeks, I’ve been drastically reducing both fat and carbs (that cream consumption was shocking) and concentrating on protein and daily fasting. Consequently, not only am I shifting a few needed pounds and feel fantastic, I absolutely reek of ketones. Here’s my problem... I have a hot date coming up and ain’t nobody wants to kiss someone with stinky breath!

What would you eat to temporarily bring you out of ketosis? I was thinking some veggies like peppers and carrots, and cheese. I want to avoid a carb craving (tomatoes do that) and taking days to get back.

Thanks all.

Edited by Mod.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chook and Guzzler

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
An interesting post. I shall watch and see what responses you get.

BTW I need to cut down a bit on the cream too.

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
@wiflib I have to limit myself to one coffee with cream in the morning here now so I don't stall myself! I would say going with a veggie overload might be a good idea there. Not that I think kicking yourself out of ketosis is a good idea, might be worth getting some sugar free chewing gum or mints to mask it? I've found my keto breath has reduced so much as I've stayed longer in it.

In other news, congrats on the date and I really hope it goes well for you! :cat:

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
It's great to see you back, lass. You have been missed. Shouldn't be too hard to come out of ketosis though I think it may take a little more than peppers and carrots seeing as how you have been so well managed for so long.

Good Luck on your date (hope he or she is worth it :)).

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I want a report on the date - hope all goes wonderfully.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@wiflib I have to limit myself to one coffee with cream in the morning here now so I don't stall myself! I would say going with a veggie overload might be a good idea there. Not that I think kicking yourself out of ketosis is a good idea, might be worth getting some sugar free chewing gum or mints to mask it? I've found my keto breath has reduced so much as I've stayed longer in it.

In other news, congrats on the date and I really hope it goes well for you! :cat:

One coffee? ONE COFFEE? My coffee consumption is the thing of legend among my friends but then I don’t smoke or drink alcohol so I own it

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's great to see you back, lass. You have been missed. Shouldn't be too hard to come out of ketosis though I think it may take a little more than peppers and carrots seeing as how you have been so well managed for so long.

Good Luck on your date (hope he or she is worth it :)).

Shucks, thanks. I come back occasionally, read, get astonished at just how far we’ve all come since Fergie and Eddie and disappear again. It’s so good to see old friends.

Reactions: Guzzler

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
One coffee? ONE COFFEE? My coffee consumption is the thing of legend among my friends but then I don’t smoke or drink alcohol so I own it
Oh that's a coffee with cream, I have like five or more black ones through the day ;)

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I want a report on the date - hope all goes wonderfully.

Thanks, I know exactly how it will go. We will have a great time and then I’ll get ghosted! I’ve been single for over 30 years so I’m not expecting change anytime soon but I keep plugging away...

@Guzzler this time it’s a bloke

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Thanks, I know exactly how it will go. We will have a great time and then I’ll get ghosted! I’ve been single for over 30 years so I’m not expecting change anytime soon but I keep plugging away...

@Guzzler this time it’s a bloke

Glass half full an' all that, I'm sure you'll have a blast.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nice to see you @wiflib . I still look around me every 6 weeks when I have bloods drawn at The Balmoral.

Hope the date goes very well. I hope he transpirers to be worth it. :)

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nice to see you @wiflib . I still look around me every 6 weeks when I have bloods drawn at The Balmoral.

Hope the date goes very well. I hope he transpirers to be worth it. :)

Ooo, hello! I live in Bristol now, I miss Leicester though. Are you fighting fit?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ooo, hello! I live in Bristol now, I miss Leicester though. Are you fighting fit?

As ever, thanks. :)

What took you to Bristol? For around 10 years, Bristol was one of my regular communtes - once ot twice a week. I also spent 9 months living in an hotel there for 9 months whilst delivering a particular piece of work.

I do like Bristol.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As ever, thanks. :)

What took you to Bristol? For around 10 years, Bristol was one of my regular communtes - once ot twice a week. I also spent 9 months living in an hotel there for 9 months whilst delivering a particular piece of work.

I do like Bristol.

I love it too.

My landlady was selling my flat and my daughter was undergoing a new adventure so I decided to come and help her. It means I get to spend as much time as I want with the grandchildren.
I now need a job though, something simple like stacking shelves as opposed to trying not to kill people in a broken, corrupt system.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love it too.

My landlady was selling my flat and my daughter was undergoing a new adventure so I decided to come and help her. It means I get to spend as much time as I want with the grandchildren.
I now need a job though, something simple like stacking shelves as opposed to trying not to kill people in a broken, corrupt system.

Do you fancy doing anything health related? There's such a lot of talk now about LC eating these days. I bet there are some great "therapists" and/or private practises doing interesting htings around Clifton and the like.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you fancy doing anything health related? There's such a lot of talk now about LC eating these days. I bet there are some great "therapists" and/or private practises doing interesting htings around Clifton and the like.

I’m not going to step foot inside a hospital to work again unless it’s my last choice.
I’m hoping to become an ambassador for the PHC, that should open a few doors.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m not going to step foot inside a hospital to work again unless it’s my last choice.
I’m hoping to become an ambassador for the PHC, that should open a few doors.

I wasn't suggesting hospital work. I imagine once anyone had been away forr a while, the structure and procedurres of it all would be mind crushing.

Good luck on your Ambassador goal. You'll be ace. :)