Comments please on childs typical diet.

donnamum

I am after some comments (ideally positive) on what I can do to improve daughters diet. And stop her being constantly hungry. She is 9. Type 1. Diagnosed Jan 08.

She eats faily healthy no sweets, no chocolate, no cake, no buscuits etc but does have a bag of crisps a few times a week. Her BG remains high throughout the morning so looking for ideas. After lunch, evening meal and super comes down quiet quickly.

She in on 1 unit novarapid to 20g carbs( breakfast time we add extra 1/2 unit) + 6 Lantus at night.

BREAKFAST
Morning BG between 5-8.
Toast and cereal with yogurt
Average 55g carbs

Morning snack
High reading if checked 2-3 hours after 20+.
Mid morning snack small piece of fruit.

LUNCH
Down to about 11-13.
Typical packed lunch Ham salad sandwich,low fat yogurt, cereal bar.
Average 55g carbs

Afternoon snack
Mid afternoon snack small piece of fruit.
BG 9-11 by 2ish. ( if she misses snack hypo by 4'oclock)

EVENING MEAL
BG before 6-8. (about 5:30)
pasta, rice, or potatoes veg.
average 50g carb per meal.

SUPPER
BG 7-9 before bed ( 7:30-8)
cereal. 35g carbs

If I am getting it totally wrong please be gentle with your replys.

Katharine

Hi,

To reduce your daughter's hunger more protein and fat may help.

For breakfast I can recommend low carb muffins. These can be baked, stored in the fridge and heated briefly in the microwave. They can be used as snacks too.

Eggs in some other form for breakfast may also help.

diabetesmum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Katharine,
Can you tell us your recipe for low carb muffins, pse? Or where to find it?
Many thanks,
Sue

donnamum

I am using nutri scales or packets ( bread etc) to carb count.

I have spoken to dietician who keep saying she can eat what she wants as long as as she keeps sugary snacks to meals times so they can be carb counted and given insulin for.

She eats eggs and bacon for breakfast on weekends and occationly as eggy bread in week. She is a big cereal fan so would eat it breakfast lunch and tea if allowed.

We did do a lot of home baking so will look for recipe for low carb muffins. I try to cook everything from scratch currys lasagna, pasta disses, sheperds pies, treats for lunch boxes etc. No ready meals or frozen, processed foods.

ally5555

mmm has the dietitian gievn u some sort of meal plan , meal ideas carb lists etc.
That sounds a bit vague - have u been on a carb counting course!
I think u need to be carful with yogurts as they are often loaded in sugar and cereal bars - they are not as healthy as they appear

donnamum

Been given no sugestions at all. I was told she had healthy diet so carry on as normal. I do try and buy bread, wraps, bagels etc with the lowest carbs per slice. Just told there is nothing she has to avoid, just in moderation.

Have asked for courses but told as I am a parent and not patient nothing available.

I did try to cut out cereal bars and yogurts but found it difficult to find something to replace them with....I do make homemade chocloate cruch flapjacks for other childrens lunch boxes but found it so difficult to carb count resorted to shop bought bars.

lionrampant

No daily carb guidance? Hmm. I'd ask her dietitian for some more advice if I were you. You need to at least have some numbers to work with.

donnamum

Have contacted diabetic team. Explained I'm concerned about lack of support anjd don't know what more I can cut out of diet. They are coming and see me tomorrow :shock: .

If you never hear from me again .........they have eaten me.

lionrampant

donnamum said:
Have contacted diabetic team. Explained I'm concerned about lack of support anjd don't know what more I can cut out of diet. They are coming and see me tomorrow :shock: .

If you never hear from me again .........they have eaten me.

We should get t-shirts that read "You stop worrying about diabetes at the end of your shift" back: "I stop worrying when I die."

ally5555

Iv been away for a few days visiting a friend - I am glad you have contacted the team - you sound as tho u need more info and support.

Some kids units also run weekends away for kids - they can be a great way of making them more independant and they learn so much about diabetes.
A mate of mine spent last weekend with 34 diabetic kids aged 8-14. They organised all sorts of activities and I know they had a great time but i think it is a good thing for kids to do. It works both ways as well as i think the HP also learn alot too!

Hope it goes well today.

I think your last comment is right we as the HP are not with it 24 hours

donnamum

Daughter went on diabetic weekend last month, she started doing own injections which really boosted her self esteem.

Dietitian cancelled today . Nurse came but couldn't give any advice without dietitian. Really really unhappy to put it in the politest way possible.

Spend most yesterday evening on phone to hospital as daughter had 5 hypos. Diet wasn't any different, no additional exercise. Another medical mystery to add to growning list.

Have to wait till end of next week at the earliest before another appoinment is available....and more time off work.

Really fed up, worried and stressed.

Katharine

These muffins are based on a Dr Atkins recipe and can be varied on almost endlessly.

Basic Muffins:

heat a fan oven to 160 degrees and a usual one to 180.

Add to a mixing bowl:

one cup soya flour
one cup ground almonds
one cup granular sugar substitute
2 heaped tablespoons whey protein powder
half teaspoon salt
2 rounded teaspoons baking powder

one cup light cooking oil eg macadamia or 4 oz butter
2 large eggs
one cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons water (add more if it looks too stiff)
one teaspoon vanilla essence.

Mix it all up, put in muffin tins or cupcake holders and bake for 12 -20 mins.

They should be dry when pricked with a cocktail stick.

Variations: * higher carbs (these ingredients add carbs but when "smothered" in fat and protein as in this recipe usually have a minimal effect on blood sugars.

apple and cinnamon* - add one grated apple and 2 heaped teaspoons cinnamon
orange - add zest of two oranges
cherry* - add chopped glace cherries
choc chip*
chocolate - add 4 heaped teaspoons of cocoa powder
carrot and cinnamon* add a medium grated carrot and 2 heaped teaspoons cinnamon
walnut and coffee -add chopped walnuts and instant coffee which has been dissolved in water.
banana and nut* - add 2 or 3 bananas, some banana whey protein powder and reduce the artificial sweetener.

Katharine

I give my son Steven almost every day for breakfast:

3 slices of bacon or other left over cold meat
one piece of fruit + double cream when appropriate
a piece of low carb baking eg muffins, cakes, cheesecakes, pies, biscuits + cream when appropriate.

The main ingredients of the baking are almonds/soya flour/ whey protein powder/other nuts/ fats/artificial sugar.

It's cheesecake today from Blaine's site. NB Dont bake the crust for more than 2.5 minutes ! (He says 10 and my first attempt was cremated) Here a couple of my favourite sites.

http://fittv.discovery.com/fansites/blaine/blaine.html
http://www.carb-lite.au.com/

donnamum

She isn't.
Told if I want to see her go to adults clinic on Thursday and they will try and see us....but ring first in case they are too busy...on they don't have any dietitians available.

Only info given in all that time is list of sweets containing 10g carbs and carbs in school meals....but they did sell me a very expensive set of nutri scales which I suppose was something.

Such a supportive approach to take, good job I don't take same attitude or we could be in real trouble.

ally5555

Donna that is not good enough - ring the manager - you need a paediatric diabetic dietitian.

Where are u based - if you dont want to say message me