Communication - so very difficult but maybe light at the end of the tunnel?

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
I was recently screened to participate – as a type 2 – in a clinical mandatory education program with the objective of communication between doctor and patient at the university hospital in Copenhagen (my role: patient co-educator and a 'hands-on diabetic' for to-be doctors).

First, two consultations with 'to-be' doctors in my 'role' as a newly diagnosed T2, and then with a follow up after each 'consultation' where I give my (nearly) honest opinion on their performance. I try to not be too harsh on poor performance in my feedback – they are young, sometimes uncertain and feel obviously somewhat pressured by the situation (everything is filmed). But some of these future doctors I would dearly love to meet later on – and some of them not so much. – Not everyone will graduate top of their class!

After that, we have a plenum where we (four patient co-educators) tell our own true story and our personal experience about communication (or lack thereof) with our doctors (or health carers). My own story often brings out incredulous laughs by the 'to-be' doctors. – They then ask a number of questions, sometimes very pertinent – so there may be hope …

annelise

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That sounds really interesting to be involved in

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How excellent. For some of them it will have a fantastic effect on their perspective and behaviour. :)