Complaint made about me using my flexpen in staffroom

Jojo17

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, I am seeking out some support.

I have type 1 diabetes. I've been diabetic for 10 years now. I worked as a teaching assistant at a primary school. I've worked there for 5 years.

I've just calmed down after being called into the headteacher's office to be told that a couple of people have approached her to complain that I test my blood and inject while eating my lunch in the staff room... it makes them feel queasy! I was told I could use an office.

I couldn't believe my reaction... I burst into tears in front of her. I use a pen style injection and don't draw attention to the fact that I'm injecting. I use the DAFNE programme, so I test then eat, work out the carbs I've just eaten and then inject.

As it has been part of my life now for such a long time I just get on with it but I can't understand why I feel so upset and offended, or that people have taken the time to make such a complaint to my boss.

I now have to find the courage to sit in the staffroom and wonder who amongst my friends and collegues could do this to me and make a complaint. I just hope that they never have to cope with this disease or are ever made to feel like I was made to feel today.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
This is so sad.......

You are a Type 1 who has to use Insulin or your life could be in danger. The people who complained deserve your contempt for doing what they did. The remedy is in their hands......look away.

I suppose it is something that they have told you you can use an office to test and inject but frankly you should stand your ground and if needed involve the Occupational Health Dept as this appears to be discrimination on health grounds. Is there a specific rule which prevents you taking your medication and drugs in the staffroom ? Are you in a Union ?

What was the heads response other than the offer of a room.

What if you felt queasy watching and hearing staff members eating - does that entitle YOU to make a complaint ??

If it was me I would continue to inject when and where I wanted......nobody would stop me. I would make a point of telling everybody what I was about to do and tell them all to look away if they don't like it ! :twisted:

Jojo17

Thanks for your response Cugila,

I wish I had your conviction, I'm still feeling a little deflated, maybe I will find some nerve and stand up for myself. At least one good thing has come of it... I have sought out this website and found the forum, where I can chat to people who may understand and share my experiences. I'm usually on facebook but I can't write about work on there as most of my fb friends are work friends and collegues.

I'm not sure about the discrimination aspect of what has happened I know how it made me feel when I was told this and I'm embarrased about the way I reacted. I thought I was stronger than that. I've just told my husband and he thinks the headteacher should have told the staff who made the complaint to deal with it, but then again the complaint could have come from her, as she is new to the school and I haven't had any issues previously.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I really sympathise with you over this. I also know what Head's can be like, my ex is a School Manager and has to deal with the sometimes 'petty' things that go on in Schools. A difficult one.

Yes, I am a tough old bird and it wouldn't happen to me without a fight. That's me. :twisted:

It is a difficult position for you which is why you might need to discuss it with a Union Rep or the Occy Health in the first instance. It is clearly discrimination as your health is paramount. If they have a policy on this demand to see it and take it further.

However, if you don't feel confident to 'rock the boat'........speak discreetly to the organisations who may be able to help in the background.

Best of luck with this. Let us know how you get on. :)

Jojo17

Cheers, I may inquire, but using this forum has helped just now, just when I needed it. Thanks for taking the time to talk it out.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
You're welcome.
Don't take it to heart, it is raw right now but just get 'back in the saddle' and crack on with YOUR life.

My motto (one of them) "Don't let the bu**er's grind you down" OR "Nil illigitum carborundum"......... :D

ATB.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Re: Just saying Hi

Hello Jojo and welcome to the forum.

I read your distressing post about testing and injecting at work and now I'm wondering if you are a NUT member, because any discrimination over any kind of health issue like that is highly frowned upon, and if you visit the website you will find advice and guidance.

JIMDOG1

Dislikes
patranising dr and nurses lol
i cant understand some people how ignorant they can be you need to do your testing and medication you shouldent need to hide away i cant see why the head said somthing shame on her.

I have to do my insulin on site working on motorway yesterday i stopped my superviser told him i just need to do my injection got all my stuff out on back seat did my bg then injection i had a few workmates watch it was no prob to them had a laugh about me doing drugs onsite lol :roll: . today did it in canteen with the pens and needles and testing kits being so small no 1 realy batted an eyelid im not going to hide my problem or hide away.

I hope if your in a union and your head does try and be funny again contact your union for advice

or perhaps the people who have the problem should leave the room :shock:

Jojo17

Thank you Hobs,

I'm not in NUT but ATL, I'm feeling a lot calmer now and the feedback and support that I've received has helped me so much.

I think I will email my union rep, because I now feel like writing in the staff room, on the notice board. To my friends and collegues who felt they had to complain about me injecting in the staffroom... deal with it, as I have to! I don't know if I have the nerve. I'm not one for drawing attention. I'll see what tomorrow brings.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I wonder how many of the members of staff there take some sort of medication at lunch-time ? Do they also have to go somewhere else to do this ?

As a Diabetic you are specifically covered under the DDA at work. You may want to remind your Head about this.

Most people with diabetes do not consider themselves to be disabled. Nevertheless, they generally do fall within the scope of the DDA and therefore benefit from the Acts protection. As a Type 1 that means YOU.

This places a statutory duty on all places of education to proactively promote equality of opportunity for disabled people and to eliminate discrimination. Diabetes is one of the conditions named under the Act.

Jojo17

Thanks Jimdog,
I'm feeling a lot better now and reading everyones responses has really helped me work through this one. I am going to email my union ATL and ask, if I wish to continue to inject in the staffroom, do I have the right to. Regardless of how it may make a few people feel, because making me do it elsewhere in isolation, will make me feel bad about myself and having the condition. I feel like writing on the staffroom notice board, deal with it, as I have to! I think my mojo is back!

cugila

Master
Dislikes

Jojo17 said:
Thank you Hobs,

I'm not in NUT but ATL, I'm feeling a lot calmer now and the feedback and support that I've received has helped me so much.

I think I will email my union rep, because I now feel like writing in the staff room, on the notice board. To my friends and collegues who felt they had to complain about me injecting in the staffroom... deal with it, as I have to! I don't know if I have the nerve. I'm not one for drawing attention. I'll see what tomorrow brings.

JoJo.
Stay strong ....be confident. It is their problem, not yours. Make them feel how you felt today.....
You owe it to yourself to make them realise how it hurt you. Make sure the Union know about this.
Nobody else should have to go through what you have gone through today.

You shouldn't be made to feel bad just because you inject etc, I do too though not Insulin and this is just plain wrong ! What next, wheelchair users because somebody feels uncomfortable !!

We have merged the posts from your greetings and introductions this existing Topic in the Employment Forum so that there is continuity regarding your Work problem and answers from members.

JIMDOG1

Dislikes
patranising dr and nurses lol
Jojo17 said:
Thanks Jimdog,
I'm feeling a lot better now and reading everyones responses has really helped me work through this one. I am going to email my union ATL and ask, if I wish to continue to inject in the staffroom, do I have the right to. Regardless of how it may make a few people feel, because making me do it elsewhere in isolation, will make me feel bad about myself and having the condition. I feel like writing on the staffroom notice board, deal with it, as I have to! I think my mojo is back!

YOU GO FOR IT Tell them if they dont like it tough they leave the room.

My freinds faimly and work collegues have been very surportive through it work mates visiting me in hospital as i was couple of hundred miles from home seeing me in bad state in my hospital bed with great big central line sticking in my neck :shock:

you look after no 1
dont be put off doing what you want to do in life by simple minded people.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
I have just had a thought......... :twisted:

JoJo.
Print off the whole of this thread and pin it up on the Noticeboard in your Staffroom.......

Make sure you have more copies to circulate in other places !!! :wink:

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think I would be inclined to announce to your workmates what you are about to do and ask them all 'if it is okay for you to continue or would they rather you left the room?' whilst looking them all straight in the eye.....this may make the culprits look rather uncomfortable and embarrassed like they made you feel and then they couldn't say you didn't give them the choice.
I bet not one would dare to speak up and ask you to leave....unless of course they were totally unfeeling and hardfaced, in which case they don't deserve to be your friends!!
Stick up for your rights, you are not doing anything illegal after all.
Good luck in sorting this....we are all behind you here.
Regards
Angie

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Some people are very squeamish about blood and needles.
At least you've been offered an office and not told to go to the toilets.
Hana

redrevis

If it was me I would continue to inject when and where I wanted......nobody would stop me. I would make a point of telling everybody what I was about to do and tell them all to look away if they don't like it ! :twisted:

Ditto. I test and inject where ever I need to. Injecting is something we have to do to stay alive and we should not be ashamed to do it in public. It is as vital to us as food and water is to everyone. Diabetes is complicated and a big enough inconvenience already without us having to hide away to medicate. If people get 'grossed out' by it, then guess what, they don't have to look. If they can't not stare for 5 seconds whilst you do it, that's their problem. Now, please bear in mind I am talking about injecting in my stomach, i'm not condoning dropping trousers and mooning a staff room full of people to do it :lol:

I work at a secondary school. I'm the only type 1 member of staff. I test and inject whenever I need to, no matter who is in the room with me. Hell, I test and inject if the Head is in the same room.
The people that complained about you need to grow up. Stick to your guns and don't let anyone make you feel bad for doing what you NEED to do to stay alive.

Some people are very squeamish about blood and needles.
So what? Like she said, she was being discreet. I doubt she was stood on the table waving it infront of everyone. If people are squeamish then guess what, they can look away. Problem solved. They don't have to stare and watch you. These people sound more like kids rather than staff.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Do they actually know that you are a Type 1 diabetic? if they do their behaviour is inexcusable, particularly going behind your back to the Head and not raising their problems directly with you.

In your place I would stand up at the beginning of lunch time, and briefly explain to everyone (very politely) about your condition, why you have to test and inject, and ask that anyone who has problem raise it with you directly so you can achieve a solution comfortable for all of you. Would they prefer you to die?

It takes some courage to do it, but it really puts you on the moral high ground! There's no shame in being diabetic - there but for the grace of god go they! And some of them probably will, or even now may be undiagnosed Type 2. You could mention that!

It is true that some people can't stand needles. I have a friend who can't even bear to watch me using a monitor. But to go behind your back is despicable.

Viv

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I wouldn't even give their complaint the time of day. I'd continue to test and inject wherever the hell I wanted.

Don't even take the high ground with them, by trying to explain your situation. Tell 'em that you have to do this,and you will continue to do so.

To me, it's ona parallel with people blowing their nose. Some do it in public, some do it in private - but everyone has to do it. AND NONE has the right to tell you where and when is appropriate to do it.

Fight the power.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Jojo17 said:
I now have to find the courage to sit in the staffroom and wonder who amongst my friends and collegues could do this to me and make a complaint. I just hope that they never have to cope with this disease or are ever made to feel like I was made to feel today.

Friends like that who needs enemies! :(

Absolutely disgraceful that they felt they needed to take this up with the headteacher without speaking with you first, can't for the like of me see what the problem is and as others have said they had the option of turning away should they choose. Personally I wouldn't go elsewhere to test and inject and would stay where I am, if they tried to discipline you for doing so then you could seek advice from a solicitor or the citizens advice about discrimination under the DDA.

Good luck with whatever you do, but please don't let these people get to you! :)

Nigel