complications beyond 39 weeks pregnancy ? type 1 diabetic

aditi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everybody

Has any gyn or endocrinologist ever told you that beyond 39 weeks of pregnancy chances of complications increase and it is advisable to go ahead with induced Labour or c section.

I am a type 1 diabetic on the insulin pump. and am 21 weeks pregnant. My doc tells me that beyond 39 weeks with bAby inside is risky, I am keen on natural birth but can't seem to find much info about this. My main concern is if I am able to deal with my sugars what is the complication?

Please do reply , really appreciate the support !
All the ladies here who have had babies did your gyn ever tell you that it is crucial to have the baby by 39th week or else there can be some major complications? My gyn and endocrinologist have told this to me. I am keen on the natural birth process and don't want any induced Labour unless extremely essential.

Please do reply.. highly appreciate the support !

kt78

Hi there

The reason for early induction is increased risk of placental degradation and or abruption in diabetic mothers.
Docs have a good reason for advising this, however I have read of American advocates advising diabetic mothers to challenge their doctors to prove the placenta is degrading and not to induce as a matter of course.
I'll be induced at 38 weeks though! Hope this helps x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

aditi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there

The reason for early induction is increased risk of placental degradation and or abruption in diabetic mothers.
Docs have a good reason for advising this, however I have read of American advocates advising diabetic mothers to challenge their doctors to prove the placenta is degrading and not to induce as a matter of course.
I'll be induced at 38 weeks though! Hope this helps x

Thanks a bunch for is info.. gives me a lead research on Will surely let you guys know what I find! Stay positive :)

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been told that will not go past 38 weeks. I'm sure this is because the placenta in diabetic mums usually stops working efficiently at this time which leads to a high risk of stillbirth. I'm sure I've read online about a mother who challenged this but she had to go to the hospital daily for a scan to check the effectiveness of the placenta. Personally it's not a risk I'm willing to take. Another problem with diabetic mums is babies size, I had to have my first at 37 weeks as she was getting so big if I left her anymore to grow she physically wouldn't be possible to get out via a natural birth as babies with diabetic mums abdominal circumference get bigger and bigger which grow out if proportion of the rest of their bodies.
I've had excellent control throughout pregnancy and babies abdominal circumference is still on the 90th percentile at 28 weeks so not sure if ill even get to 38 weeks with this one as hoped xx

Moaney

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Same, I've been told I'll be induced no later than 39 weeks. My control has been good with no complications so far & measuring normal at 22 weeks. I will go with any birth that brings baby out safely. :)

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
With my first I didn't find any problems in size until about 30-31 weeks and control wasn't as good as it is now so I think control isn't much of an indicator as to what is going to happen with babies size the consultant said even with extremely good control they still find babies grow too big :( I know it's scary to think that baby will be early but my little girl was born at 37 weeks with the exception of a caesarean she was born fine and needed no special care

aditi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for this all of you! Tried to do some research last night but didn't really get anywhere !

It's just getting tough as the days are progressing I am seeing more 180s and highs! It's really scary and puts me in panic mode! I don't want to do any of this but hinge just seem to happen! Tough to even discuss this with family as it just makes me the lazy one! And then when u try to control it's so tough to avoid hypos.. Sometimes this pregnancy is more about co-ordination and numbers than to even think about the little one !

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel the same you tend to put pregnancy to the back and try and focus on your bloods. Then you seem to get to certain parts in your pregnancy and then you find your bloods spiral out of control, but then some days you have completely out of the blue patterns that aren't consistent with what's been going on it can be frustrating. It's hard when the targets are so tight to completely get rid of the hypos as between 4-5.9 is very close to a hypo and any activity you do unexpectedly tends to end up in a hypo. I know it's hard but try to focus on your baby it's much more beneficial for him to have regular sugars, the only advice I can give you really is make some good records so it's easy for you to see patterns and figure out what needs changing. Good luck!!