Complications with Diabetes

cal27naidoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Guys,

I want to know, what kind of complications can I get with diabetes as I get older? I been diagnosed Type 2 from age 15, started with metfornin and now 22(I'm a male) and taking insulin. I saw my Doctor today and we were discussing it and wanted to know how long do diabetic people live for, before experiencing any difficulties and other complications. This discussion I had really changed my outlook on life and it's making me depressed on whether it's worth living, or starting a family.

Callen Naidoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Unusually young. You can get all sots of complications as you get older. there is a list somewhere Alternatively yo can do something about what you eat and drink and live longer. It's your choice.

So why are your other posts titled "Back on insulin.?

Last edited by a moderator:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
You can get complications but I had type 1for 30+ years... Not one...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
No, not silly at all. I was told at my diagnosis I WOULD get complications and a medal if I got to 25 years with it!! Is scared the s**t oht of me!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Callen

Life is what you make it....

You can make the most out of itor you can moan n groan until you get the problems of diabetes that you were warned about....

Me, I chose to make the most of my living... And so can you..

Diabetes can give complications without a doubt. But think of people that have real physical disabilitys like cystic fibrosis, meningitis amputee's etc...... There is a lot worse off than having diabetes!!!

Reactions: 2 people

cal27naidoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I totally agree with you... And I understand that I will have alot of complications later on... After talking to this Doctor, it's just I lost hope... If you know what I mean? I can't even picture now starting a family because I'm going to be an inconvenience to my partner and also have no idea if I'm going to be around to see my kids grow up. There are alot of worse medical conditions out there... But this now feels like the death sentence for me.

Callen Naidoo

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hey....

You are down and that is so natural part of diabetes acceptance.

You do NOT have to get complications!! I haven't been an angel of diabetes control!!

No reason that ur partner shld see you as a burden with diabetes...
My hubby loves me for being me!!! My friends do too.

Pick yourself up and think that u can prove people wrong.. Because you can.... My original consultant scared the sh*t out of me, I was sure I wouldn't live till 50...... I am 51 in a few months.

Life is good with diabetes, its better than the average fat man walking on streets without knowing his levels of fat, cholesterol etc.

Yousound so down, believe me.. Honest... No reason...

cal27naidoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey....

You are down and that is so natural part of diabetes acceptance.

You do NOT have to get complications!! I haven't been an angel of diabetes control!!

No reason that ur partner shld see you as a burden with diabetes...
My hubby loves me for being me!!! My friends do too.

Pick yourself up and think that u can prove people wrong.. Because you can.... My original consultant scared the sh*t out of me, I was sure I wouldn't live till 50...... I am 51 in a few months.

Life is good with diabetes, its better than the average fat man walking on streets without knowing his levels of fat, cholesterol etc.

Yousound so down, believe me.. Honest... No reason...

Thank you:) you given me alil bit of faith.

Callen Naidoo

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
You stand every chance of living a very full, active life with kids... Why shouldn't you?

There's loads of other things that can complicate pregnancy besides diabetes...

Come on now, why u so down?life can be fab with D

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Callen

Honest, all my relatives and some friends have had big C in last few years.... D is a doddle compared to big C

cal27naidoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Callen

Honest, all my relatives and some friends have had big C in last few years.... D is a doddle compared to big C

I guess so. Its just hearing about amputation and renal dialysis it's just not something I'm looking forward to. But thank you, for telling me about your life:) it gave me that lil bit of hope I was looking for.

Callen Naidoo

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I was actually taken around a ward of patients that had amputations before I was discharged from hospital 30 years ago..

Believe me.. Having the s**t scared out of you isn't a bad thing.... BUT you must put it in to perspective...

Its not definite for complications, you can still live and do everything pretty much..... But you need to keep ur bg's normal range for a better life...

My better living takes me less than 10 minutes a day all in all.... So hardly a reason for doom n gloom.....and Iama hugelot fiter and always have been than my hubby n friends. I am fit, they aren't....,

cal27naidoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was actually taken around a ward of patients that had amputations before I was discharged from hospital 30 years ago..

Believe me.. Having the s**t scared out of you isn't a bad thing.... BUT you must put it in to perspective...

Its not definite for complications, you can still live and do everything pretty much..... But you need to keep ur bg's normal range for a better life...

My better living takes me less than 10 minutes a day all in all.... So hardly a reason for doom n gloom.....and Iama hugelot fiter and always have been than my hubby n friends. I am fit, they aren't....,

:) I'm also trying to get fit... I intend on losing alot of weight.

Callen Naidoo

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Good for you... Weight is a separate issue to diabetes really... There's a lot of obese people without diabetes that struggle on yo yo diets.......

You have been given an opportunity to make your life better... Which these obese non diabetics haven't......take it, learn how to have a good, lifestyle change with food n you can do it.

I'm T1, without knowing I have low carbed since diagnosis...

Today for lunch I had loads of philadelpia stuffed with bacon too sweet peppers... Tonight I had Waitrose rack of ribs with salad and a small bowl of icecream with some red wine..... Really yummy and this is sort of food I eat everyday... Although I have only recently increased the amount of fat n protein I eat.

I am a size 10, and the envy of a lot of women larger sized. I didn't realise i low carbed until reading this forum in more detail.... But it is definitely the reason for my life being fit n healthy.

Good luck to you getting fitter. You will get a lot of support from others here.

This forum great for help when feeling less positive. I know that from almost losing my driving licence...i survived with a great person supporting me from this forum. I will never forget her.

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know a lady who was diagnosed Type 1 in 1963 when she was 14 years old. As yet she has suffered no complications from having diabetes. She leads an active life and is heavily involved in looking after her grandchildren

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I know a lady who was diagnosed Type 1 in 1963 when she was 14 years old. As yet she has suffered no complications from having diabetes. She leads an active life and is heavily involved in looking after her grandchildren

That is so fantastic, and gives us all hope.... Thankyou...

cal27naidoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good for you... Weight is a separate issue to diabetes really... There's a lot of obese people without diabetes that struggle on yo yo diets.......

You have been given an opportunity to make your life better... Which these obese non diabetics haven't......take it, learn how to have a good, lifestyle change with food n you can do it.

I'm T1, without knowing I have low carbed since diagnosis...

Today for lunch I had loads of philadelpia stuffed with bacon too sweet peppers... Tonight I had Waitrose rack of ribs with salad and a small bowl of icecream with some red wine..... Really yummy and this is sort of food I eat everyday... Although I have only recently increased the amount of fat n protein I eat.

I am a size 10, and the envy of a lot of women larger sized. I didn't realise i low carbed until reading this forum in more detail.... But it is definitely the reason for my life being fit n healthy.

Good luck to you getting fitter. You will get a lot of support from others here.

This forum great for help when feeling less positive. I know that from almost losing my driving licence...i survived with a great person supporting me from this forum. I will never forget her.

Thank you alot:) alot of yummy foods... I saw my Doctor on Tuesday and he increased my meds again... Wants it to be at around 5... Also going to see a Dietician on Thursday, diet I'm on is not helping:). Thank you alot thou for replying to me, it made a difference.

Callen Naidoo

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Callen

Some Medical people can scare the cra pout of you to try n get you to always take control of your diabetes. Some of them play it down....

Diabetes is not so bad considering odometer other ailments, but you are young and I can remember clearly how I felt, but there wasn't google n internet back then so we pretty much were alone with our thoughts and worries. You certainly never questioned a Doctor, absolutely forbidden!,

So the present time with you..... It is a huge shock to be diagnosed with any diabetes..I cried myself to sleep every night for 6 weeks when I was diagnosed... Still got up and did my management job, but it was hard to be normal initially.

You will get more accepting as your control levels become balanced and you know what foods upset them. You can have basically any food as a type 1 when you know how to adjust bolus's etc... But you will need to try and balance the qtyof desserts, sweets n treats that many non diabetics seem to have on a constant basis.

Complication wise, life is in general what you make it... If you want to minimise complications then that's down to you to find ways to enjoy foods that you like to keep within the target ranges with your levels.

Believe me, I eat minimal during most of year, but December is MY month. I eat every Christmas food there is. Nothing's off limits!! I am lucky that I have a pump so can whack through much higher levels of basal rates for 24 hours a day... Literally until 2nd Jan. The rest of year except my birthday, I have just what I want, but just never want much!!

I'm glad you've got appointments coming up...let us know how you get on..

As for having a family etc... You can do the same as anyone else... A lot of people have fertility problems, miscarriages for women, etc and low sperm counts etc.... That's just part of our human genes nowadays for on diabetics too.

You are lucky that you will always have basic checks of your health made on you...non diabetics don't and can be living with high blood pressure etc and not know it....

You will be fine, be positive...think 'I can do'. I've banned kids that come in to contact with me from saying... "I can't" .. They accept from me that they have to find a way of getting help they need, when they can't do something. Nothing is a can't unless it's illegal... That's how you have to think of your diabetes... It lives with you.... You don't live with it.....make the most of your life Callen. Never have regrets...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
What are your levels currently running at Callen?

Are you carb counting at all? Has your doctor discussed this with you?

Would you feel comfortable being able to adjust your own meds, rather than through the doctor. Only reason I ask is that on a long term basis you need to be able to manage increasing or decreasing meds yourself... Longterm though.. I'm not suggesting now.....it's just that it will give you more freedom to be able to eat the foods that you like and want to eat..