Complications

mmackay20040

Hi,
I was at the doctor today and was told that I either have IBS or Autonomic Neuropathy. Just wondered if any of you had Autonomic Neuropathy? I'd never heard of it but having read up on it, it could well be that. The most interesting part of it for me was that it mentioned hypo unawareness.....
Anyway, my doc's not wanting to see me back and I've been given some tablets to help with the tummy problems associated with either. Just wondered if anyone here could shed some light on either possibility? :?:

Thanks.

Marie xx

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Yep got both, although in my case transpose Bowel for ***** :lol:.

Seriously though, I know about both problems, have you also thought about any food allergies? My tummy problems ended up being a bad reaction to blackcurrants that developed quite insidiously over a long period of time. Annoying because I adore them, and took me two years to figure out with no help from my GP, but I believe there are tests available?

Hypo unawareness is unfortunately a classic symptom of autonomic neuropathy, but there are others. It also tends to be fairly insidious like other neuropathies.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
My T1 husband has gastroparesis( autonomic stomach problem) along with all the other complications. However, One of my walking group was having IBS type symptoms and decided to try to get wheat free. Her symptoms disappeared. It would be worth trying, because you don't have to wait for a doctor to help and it doesn't cost anything. Also if it doesn't help, you have done yourself no harm.

jopar

I think what hanna is thinking of is coeliac disease which is another autoimmune disease that can be associated with T1 diabetes…

This would respond if you removed wheat from your diet, as wheat contains gluten which causes all the problems for the suffering, but sadly there many other products and foods that also contain gluten in it and by just removing the wheat part would resolve all the issues associated with this condition

To diagnose a individual for coeliac can only be confirmed by a biopsy from the intestine it is important that the patient remains on there normal diet otherwise the test will show a negative.. There is a blood test that can be done, but this is considered to be flawed with giving a high percentage of false negatives, so can not be relied upon totally..

The reason for having to remain on the same diet is that in laymen’s terms your body is allergic to the gluten, and this causes lesions etc to the intestines just like the rashes that you can get on your skin when you come into contact with a product that you are allergic to... By removing the wheat/gluten from your diet allows the intestine to recover and heal, this would affect the biopsy as there would be nothing to find…

People who are coeliac (gluten intolerant) are entitled to free prescriptions of certain food products, so a proper diagnoses is a very good idea..

You can find out more about coeliac here

http://www.coeliac.org.uk/coeliac_disease/default.asp

And more on how it’s diagnosed here

http://www.coeliac.org.uk/coeliac_disea ... efault.asp

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
Hi jo
My walking partner doesn't have coelic, she is just wheat intollerant. It's fairly common and I suspect it's evidence that wheat isn't part of our natural diet. I had a long term friend who was wheat intollerant and a carrier of the cystic Fibrosis gene. She's a scientist and thought the two were linked. She too is wheat free and symptom free.
Although coeliac is always a possibility. Once a person has an autoimmune condition, another one isn't unknown.

mmackay20040

Thank you all for your replies. I've had the tests done for the intolerance leading to coeliac but they all came back clear, bloods, samples etc etc. I'm not really sure what's causing it but there's definately something causing these IBS-like symptoms. :?

EricD

Dislikes
Bullies and sockpuppets. Not being able to eat I want.
I suffered with IBS for 4 years, it eased off after I had my first Angina attack and disappeared completely a year later after I went down with cronic pancreatitis brought on by a stone in the pancreas.

dipsticky

Dislikes
Hypocrites and two faced people.
EricD said:
I suffered with IBS for 4 years, it eased off after I had my first Angina attack and disappeared completely a year later after I went down with cronic pancreatitis brought on by a stone in the pancreas.

So, a thought crossed your mind? Must have been a long and lonely journey.

EricD

Dislikes
Bullies and sockpuppets. Not being able to eat I want.
dipsticky said:
EricD said:

So, a thought crossed your mind? Must have been a long and lonely journey.

A "thought crossed my mind"?

Really?

Where?

When?

How?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
WEll since it has to be rose with Orang utan, I think red with chimp and white with gibbon

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
hanadr said:
WEll since it has to be rose with Orang utan, I think red with chimp and white with gibbon

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: