Concerns about SD Codefree

Tinytoez

Dislikes
Diabetes!! People who dont understand. Being overweight and hungry.
I have been using my SD Codefree as I couldnt get any strips for my Freestyle Lite, and I had results as high as 12.7, which is concerning me as Ive never had a result that high, and my concern is that if it does this to others they will end up worrying unneceraily and possibly treating for Hyperglycemia when they havent got it. I just thought I should bring this to peoples attention. I have now got some sticks and gone back to my Freestyle and although high my highest has been 10.1 not in the 12s.

Defren

Tinytoez said:
I have been using my SD Codefree as I couldnt get any strips for my Freestyle Lite, and I had results as high as 12.7, which is concerning me as Ive never had a result that high, and my concern is that if it does this to others they will end up worrying unneceraily and possibly treating for Hyperglycemia when they havent got it. I just thought I should bring this to peoples attention. I have now got some sticks and gone back to my Freestyle and although high my highest has been 10.1 not in the 12s.

I have a SD codfree, and the highest reading ever was 8.5. My readings for the most part are stable, so I have no worries or concerns with mine.

WhitbyJet

Yes, please do be careful with the SD codefree meter.
Have been told this morning of an incident where a neighbour was found collapsed in her bedroom, making some strange noises, her husband immediately thought 'hypo'', tested using the SD meter, showed 4.9. Husband phoned for ambulance fearing his wife had a stroke/heart attack. Another neighbour, a paramedic, jumped over the fence, tested bg level again, it showed 1.3.
By the time the ambulance arrived the patient was out of her hypo, confused, sweaty, tearful and tired but thankfully ok.
Not so sure now about this type of meter?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
WhitbyJet said:
Yes, please do be careful with the SD codefree meter.
Have been told this morning of an incident where a neighbour was found collapsed in her bedroom, making some strange noises, her husband immediately thought 'hypo'', tested using the SD meter, showed 4.9. Husband phoned for ambulance fearing his wife had a stroke/heart attack. Another neighbour, a paramedic, jumped over the fence, tested bg level again, it showed 1.3.
By the time the ambulance arrived the patient was out of her hypo, confused, sweaty, tearful and tired but thankfully ok.
Not so sure now about this type of meter?

That's shocking!!! :shock:

Reactions: miriamy

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
on another thread someone wrote about there being a batch of dodgy test strips? I cant find the thread now - anyone know where it is?

mine is working fine, so maybe I didnt have the dodgy strips?

I hope everyone is OK.

WhitbyJet

The scary thing about the whole incident quoted above is that the husband assumed its not a hypo, at 4.9, so didnt think of giving glucose. Lucky that the next door neighbour, a paramedic, was off duty and jumped in to help out.

Defren

WhitbyJet said:
The scary thing about the whole incident quoted above is that the husband assumed its not a hypo, at 4.9, so didnt think of giving glucose. Lucky that the next door neighbour, a paramedic, was off duty and jumped in to help out.

This really is very worrying. I have not had any problems with mine, but perhaps a back up meter may be a good idea. Infact, I think I will go and order a new back up meter now. This has concerned me greatly.

sterling

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All of my readings over 50 strips (with a few wasted by me because of new learner's experimentation) appear to be plausible and consistent.

Just two readings are very odd: one of 15.1 and 12.3. I should have retested immedelately.

This appears to be working very well.

Defren

Actually, I have changed my mind. My post was a kneejerk reaction, so not logical. I am T2 so unlikely to suffer hypo's. I will stick with my meter, it's my first and I am used to it.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
lucylocket61 said:
on another thread someone wrote about there being a batch of dodgy test strips? I cant find the thread now - anyone know where it is?

mine is working fine, so maybe I didnt have the dodgy strips?

I hope everyone is OK.

It was a post by Hana. She said she got some dodgy ones and spoke to the manufacturer who told her they knew about the problem. If I remember I think Hana reported that they definitely said it was the strips and not the meter.

The one I bought and sent myself mad with by comparing against my other meter is still functioning fine with the relative I passed it onto. When I used it I also noticed it gave a couple of really dodgy readings which went away on a retest.

Teething problems because its new system I suspect.

But as Noblehead said the one it gave was shocking!

Tinytoez

Dislikes
I used it for 2 days and did about 12 tests and all were higher than I would expect. I wasnt suggesting not using it, I just thought people need to be aware in order to make their own choices, so Im not telling people either way what they should do.

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine is running anywhere from 0.5 to about 2.5 higher than my regular Freestyle Lite, so maybe I have some of the faulty strips too!!
It seems the higher your levels the greater disparity. I feel I can't trust it at the moment. The first 50 strips I used in it were pretty much on par with what I would expect and if I double tested it ran within reasonable lines with the Freestyle.

Ok if you bear it in mind and when testing before and after won't really pose a problem if it is the rise you are interested in, but makes it a bit confusing of you use two different meters. (I had the SD one in my car so use it when I'm out and about).

Let's hope the next batch of strips is better!!

Angie

sterling

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have noticed that it is smaller blood samples that produce the unexpected results.

Today, I got a 12.1 and immediately restested with a better sample and got 6.6 (which was in line with expectation).

I think that its better not to pursue tests with small samples. But I am a learner at this game.

The CodeFree meter otherwise seems to work well.

Reactions: 2 people

hallii

Well my Code free meter stopped working, I sent it back and they said it's working fine, now they are sending the dam thing back, I can't wait for it to stop working again.

My experience is that ANY other meter manufacturer would have replaced the meter without question.

H

Tinytoez

Dislikes
The more I hear, the less convinced I am, shame really.

hallii

I have to eat 'umble pie regarding my reported faulty meter.

It was me, I put the strips in upside down!

The meter stills responds as if everything is OK but it is not! The strips go in dark side up :oops:

There is no fool like an old fool.

H

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well in view of the uncertainty I contacted the seller and queried the 'faulty batch of strips'.
They were not aware of any faults and thus tested some of their remaining batch in stock with satisfactory results. Their reply to me was that the strips were therefore okay but they would send me some testing solution (FOC) to check that my meter was working correctly.

I conducted tests with both their testing solutions and some I had for the Freestyle (this is slightly out of date but still shows a comparison between meters as they are both subjected to the same out of date liquid), With their solution I also included my spare Freestyle Lite meter, but with the Freestyle test solution I just compared the SD with the regular Freestyle Lite I use every day. Here are the results....

SD Test Solution
Low solution..............target on SD test strip pot 5.5 to 7.9 (so mid way would be 6.7)
SD meter 6.7 (spot on mid way)
Regular meter 4.7
Spare meter 4.7

Mid solution..............target on SD test strip pot 9.7 to 14.0 (so mid way would be about 12.8)
SD meter 11.5
Regular meter 8.2
Spare meter 8.7

Freestyle test solution
Low solution............target on Freestyle test strip pot 2.2 to 3.9 (so mid way would be about 3.1)
SD meter 3.1 (spot on mid way)
Regular meter 2.3

High solution...........target on Freestyle test strip pot 13.8 to 20.7 (so mid way would be about 17.8)
SD meter 19.6
Regular meter 15.7

Thus the SD appears to be hitting the mid way mark on the solution range far better than my Freestyle Lites so it definitely casts doubt over the accuracy of the Freestyle.

I was also sent a chart showing some research that was done I believe in Zurich comparing numerous meters for accuracy over a batch of tests and the Freestyle Lite proved to record much lower results than the majority of other meters. It may be worth checking any meters / strips with control solution and maybe try comparisons with other meters too if you have any doubts about this meter. After doing this experiment I have to admit I am not sure about the readings from my Freestyle Lite meters any more since they were not even in the range on the first test.

HTH
Angie

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for posting all that information.

Its a great relief and most reassuring to me.

A

Anonymous

I bought an SD codefree myself as I think I will lose my prescription for strips at review( I like to plan ahead) I am really worried. The readings between my Freestyle Lite and the SD are nothing like the same.

On arrival, SD 6.4 Freestyle 5.8
+ 2 hours after eating SD 5.8 Freestyle 4.4
This morning SD 6.6. Freestyle 4.4 :shock:

Something is wrong with one of them. I am sure most of us test other people when we get a new meter, or is that just me? All my kids are skinny energetic people, with no signs of diabetes. When I tested their blood with my Freestyle, they were in the 4`s as I would expect, my youngest daughter in the high 3`s. I feel the SD is wrong, but how do I find out?

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Jeannemum. You could try testing both monitors as angieG did. Without a true testing solution it will be difficult to see which machine is giving the more accurate result. Her post is a couple back on this thread.

I use the SD Codefree and also have a CareSens N and they show very similar results but I seem to remember reading that all monitors were only accurate to about .5 so variations can be expected I guess. Sorry but I can't seem to find where I read this so I may be having a senior moment. :(